Post Your Dynos Here Ii

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
KROUT said:
How does it compair to rc5. Or is it basically rc5 with higher rev limiter?

I want to try it or at least ride in a car that has it.
come up to NJ and you can drive mine:D

I had mine doing 100MPH on 3rd gear and I have 3 more to go:eek:

dvst8r

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
TdiRacing said:
...This is a clear example of what happens when you run a larger turbo(much larger in my case)...
So I'm guessing as the 224whp dyno charts name is tdiracing_wg-turbo_race520_11mm_RC6e, that your new turbo is free floating not VNT. That, and you state in an earlier post to Kerma that the noise is an external gate. So how big is the new turbo (turbo manufacturer and wheel inducer size is fine), and how do you like the WG vs VNT?

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
dvst8r said:
So I'm guessing as the 224whp dyno charts name is tdiracing_wg-turbo_race520_11mm_RC6e, that your new turbo is free floating not VNT. That, and you state in an earlier post to Kerma that the noise is an external gate. So how big is the new turbo (turbo manufacturer and wheel inducer size is fine), and how do you like the WG vs VNT?
He built this car's setup with one purpose ;) I've riden in it and holy hell! :D If Oliver wants to comment build specifics...I'll leave it to him.(it's closed loop - ECU controled mind you!) Power doesn't come on until ~ 3500 RPM and is somewhat smokey under that...but man, when the boost comes on and goes to 6000 - talk about being pressed into your seat!

dvst8r

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
mydeathbynapalm said:
He built this car's setup with one purpose ;) I've riden in it and holy hell! :D If Oliver wants to comment build specifics...I'll leave it to him.(it's closed loop - ECU controled mind you!) Power doesn't come on until ~ 3500 RPM and is somewhat smokey under that...but man, when the boost comes on and goes to 6000 - talk about being pressed into your seat!
I have been advocating wg turbo's and more rpm for years and years. I'm just curious as to his reactions to it, and the class of turbo he is running.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
You need a proper ECU in order to run closed loop. It is what the flamed Upsolute WG system couldn't do...but this current setup he built is not incredibly street friendly. Turbo is a hybrid built to his specs. I'll stop the clutter. He'll post more in the future when it's sorted out more thuroughly I imagine.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
silverbullet dyno

This is my daily beater, but runs good.
ASV110, RC6, vnt17/52 (24psi), 11mm, and R520's. w/pd150 intake, R32 maf housing/airbox, pd150 inlet pipe, fmic, water-meth, and thru exhaust. egt's never got over 1400deg F for any of the runs.

We had problems with the optical pickup working, so we used a box that listens to the alternator AC buzz, and converts the ripple to rpms, so the curve looks jagged. The motor runs smooth as silk up to 5500 rpms virtually smoke free.
Jeff

Just for reference, here is the Rocket 3 years ago with vnt1749, R520s, 12mm, and lots more smoke. Notice how the HP dies at 4000 back then, and today pulls hard to 5200 above. Very similar numbers, but todays car will spank the older setup at the track ;-)

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Niiice, usable power from 2000 RPM to 5200 RPM, going from 100 to 200 HP.

cheeba

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Audi TT 225
Jeff, what psi was required for both of those vehicles? Very nice numbers and curves, by the way - pretty much exactly what I'd like to see out of my car.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
It looks like in the older dyno that the operator just didnt rev past 4100rpms. I guess what I mean is, isnt the sudden drop in both graphs due to operator stopping, not the car?

Last edited:

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
Is the peak HP that little spike at 3700 rpm's? Looks good thru the band though. Like 180 from 3500 thru 4800.

drkblujetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi A4 ALH TDI
I'm down for that if there are any other locals willing to come out?.......:cool:

What dyno are they running, what are the prices like?.....:p

dvst8r said:
Yeah at Passenger Performance's new shop. :p

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My Golf, PP520s, RC3++, lift pump, 2.5" Turbo back, PD130 intake and airbox. And they dyno'd it with the Motegi tracklites and Hoosier slicks on it. Think they matter? Remember, original VNT-15. And original clutch at 120K.

Any questions about Jeff's tuning skills? Look at this.

Varkias

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf TDI
That's not a bad gain for just turning off the A/C ;)

Looks like I need to get me some air flow mods and a lift pump. But my car is already to fast for me! ;)

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
IndigoBlueWagon said:
My Golf, PP520s, RC3++, lift pump, 2.5" Turbo back, PD130 intake and airbox. And they dyno'd it with the Motegi tracklites and Hoosier slicks on it. Think they matter? Remember, original VNT-15. And original clutch at 120K.

Any questions about Jeff's tuning skills? Look at this.

Awsome. It is so crazy seeing them and feeling these cars rev to those upper RPM's.

Look at the power band. Nice work especially on a VNT 15.

spdracr0

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Silver Jetta
The slicks definately will cause it to be down on HP as the dyno goes, seen it many times. Drag slicks that is...wrinkle wall type

Last edited:

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
TdiRacing said:
Awsome. It is so crazy seeing them and feeling these cars rev to those upper RPM's.
IMO it is more of a novelty than anything else, shifting at 4300-4500 (below factory redline) will maximise the area under the curve so anything above that is sort of pointless.

KROUT

persona non grata
This all depends on how the car is tuned. The only reason our cars dont have alot of power above 4500rpms is because of the way they are tuned. If your tune still has stock rev limiter then yes you are 100% correct.

jackbombay said:
IMO it is more of a novelty than anything else, shifting at 4300-4500 (below factory redline) will maximise the area under the curve so anything above that is sort of pointless.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The car is still pulling hard at 5000 RPM. I wanted it particularly because there are places on the track where I don't want to have to shift, and I didn't want to use 5th on the track because the car doesn't pull well enough in that gear (although now it might).

On the highway the ability to merge and run up to 80 in 3rd is really sweet.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
jackbombay said:
IMO it is more of a novelty than anything else, shifting at 4300-4500 (below factory redline) will maximize the area under the curve so anything above that is sort of pointless.
If your power falls off there, your turbo or your fuel flow can't get you up there. It's still not all the tune's fault, as I'm sure the tune was made to fit your hardware configuration. So i guess it's your hardware or lack thereof, that led you to believe your assumption of the novelty of high rev's.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you look at fuel/air for most tunes they reduce fueling over 4200-4500 RPMs. They also often run out of timing advance. Most stock maps are written to prevent the car from (easily) revving past the posted redline. I don't pretend to understand all the changes Jeff made to make the cars run better beyond redline, but I know it includes maintaining fueling and somehow moving the timing graph so you have maximum timing advance beyond 4500 RPM. Some say this sacrifices some power at lower revs, but I don't see it on the dyno.

On my wagon with PP520s it was running out of available fuel beyond 4500 RPM. The PP502s helped this and power drops off less. I think the Golf with PP520s and the VNT-15 is fueling well at 5000+ RPM. EGTs were a bit high on the dyno, but I'm swapping in my PD150 intake manifold before taking it to the track to see if that helps (Jeff says it will reduce EGTs). If not I'll have to go back to PP357s, because I run the car flat out a lot on the track, obviously. He wants me to get meth injection, but I don't think my rules allow it.

Last edited:

jsrmonster

TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Scott02 said:
What boost are you running after say, 4000rpm on your Golf with the vnt15 ? and what rpm does it hold it to ?
that is a trade secret ;-)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I actually don't know. The dyno on the hybrid showed 25 PSI to 5700, but that's below the typical midrange peak for that turbo. I didn't get a boost graph on the Golf. I'll watch it on the track (if I have time).

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Scott02 said:
If your power falls off there, your turbo or your fuel flow can't get you up there. It's still not all the tune's fault, as I'm sure the tune was made to fit your hardware configuration. So i guess it's your hardware or lack thereof, that led you to believe your assumption of the novelty of high rev's.
I never mentioned my car, I was talking about the graph that was posted.

Here is what I was talking about in graphical form, If you shift at 5500 RPM your next gear will come in at about 3800 the average HP you engine was making for that gear is less than if you shifted at 4500, the blue lines.

IndigoBlueWagon said:
I wanted it particularly because there are places on the track where I don't want to have to shift...
Yea, as one of the few here that track their cars the high revs make sense for you.

IndigoBlueWagon said:
The dyno on the hybrid showed 25 PSI to 5700...
EEEEKKKKKK!!!!!

Here is where 27 PSI (EDIT-27 was wrong, Peter had popsted 25, I plotted the corect numbers on the map) lands "on" the compressor map, assuming you are using one of your 17/52 turbos. You can see this is the same map where I plotted your previous boost/RPM numbers that were off the left side of the map (surge), it looks like there is a pretty good chance that at WOT you turbo is never operating on the boost map. With 25 instead of 27 PSI you do end up on the map for a bit of your mid range. For the 5700 RPM point I used %50 compressor efficiency which is a rough guess, but when the efficiency is that low %10-15 doesn't really change the numbers that much, .8 of a pound or so.

Last edited:

jsrmonster

TDI
Jack, wrong turbo, and 1.3 bar falling off to .8bar
Jeff