www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old December 9th, 2017, 16:03   #1
Power_Not_Speed
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Default Clutch not engaging/disengaging

2006 Jetta 5 speed. I no longer live in the US so my car sits for 4-5 months at a time now. On my last visit the day before arriving my son drove it to get it washed for me but on the way up the clutch pedal went to the floor. He towed it to his house The next day I tried driving it, starting in gear. I was able to drive it with the clutch released but never fully engaged, and when depressed never fully disengaged.
The DC Stage 3 clutch has about 30,000 trouble free miles on it. Trying simple things first I replaced the slave cylinder but that's not the problem, and plenty of pressure from the master. Any ideas? I need to go to the US again to take care of this as my son is moving but know of no mechanics in the LA area. Tips/advice graciously accepted.
Old December 9th, 2017, 17:40   #2
whitedog
Veteran Member

Was the release lever and pivot ball replaced when the clutch was replaced?
Old December 11th, 2017, 07:40   #3
tactdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005.5 Jetta

Also check the clutch fluid lines from the master to the slave. The connections use cones on the end of the lines with rubber grommets, and
"C" clips to hold them in. If the connections are leaking, you can get just
the rubber grommets and "O" rings from the dealer to make a tight connection, or the entire line with the cones can be replaced.
tactdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 08:33   #4
dtrvler

Fuel Economy: 53 mpg
Default How many miles on car?

The clutch (clutch release lever) fork may have punched through on the end down where you can't see it...where it pivots on the clutch release lever pivot ball pin....02A141777B
Clutch release lever: 02J141719C
Clutch release lever clip: 012141741
I see that from time to time...these 3 parts are often overlooked by guys when replacing clutch kits. With the extra clutch pedal pressure which may be required on the higher performance clutches (depending on the design)...and an older partially worn through clutch release lever socket... the punch through event occurs fairly soon after the clutch job. Especially if the nylon material on the ball has disintegrated. Parts are cheap but trans has to come out to fix it. Good time to swap trans fluid too.
I can do this job for you in Anaheim if that works for you. I am a mechanic on these cars there. PM or call or text me if interested.
Dave 702-665-9983

Last edited by dtrvler; December 15th, 2017 at 08:27. Reason: Phone number changed.
dtrvler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 17:07   #5
Power_Not_Speed
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Thanks for the tips. I wish I was there to play with it but canít get away for now. One of the top Girus did the work and Iím sure used all new parts and is very thorough.

Dave, Iíll probably be in touch with you in a month or so. Thanks! Gotta renew the olí AAA.