Never sold 0 milage dealership 2016 tdi's. Anybody trying to buy one?

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
I'm going to look at Touaregs tomorrow and have 2 simple questions that i for some reason can't seem to find answers for. 1- will these have the same 11/162000 warranty as the 2.0? and 2- when does VW's corrosion warranty start? Asking because my dealer has a 14 Touraeg with 400 miles on it so trying to figure out if the corrosion warranty stalled while its been parked or if it's been counting down. Not that the 14 is what I'm going for, but I'd still like to know. Thanks.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
So some discouraging news today. These are not yet facts, but what I was told...

1-no lease option.
2-no zero percent financing. Not even 0.9. Probably regular bank rates.
3-percentages are dealer cash, so they can do whatever they want with it. Some dealers are offering 10% off of 16s when the program allows up to 15%.
4-my Passat SEL value has tanked in 6 months of ownership. I owe 30 and it’s worth on the high side around 19.

For me to buy a 16 Touareg lux is about $900.00 a month for 72 months. 16 sport with tech is about $830.00. A 14 lux is about $750.00.

I was told to give it another week to see what the final numbers are and to let them shop my car around and see if the trade in can improve. You know you have a good dealer when they tell you to go home and wait instead of shoving whatever you lust after down your throat.

I must say though, my first experience with driver assistance was quite impressive. Got on the highway and set the cruise at 95, if you got behind someone, it would back off and keep you about three car lengths back. When you changed lanes, it would accelerate. Blind spot detection was awesome. Mirror on the side a car was would light up and if you turned on the turn signal, it would rapidly flash to wann you it was a bad idea to change lanes. If you got too close to the edge line, the wheel would vibrate to warn you. Not anything new, but made the Passat feel dated.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Seems I recall reading the same comments about the 2.0L TDIs. And they all sold. I think the Touaregs (and the Audis, when approved) will all sell. If you want one, this is your last chance to get new. People will pay for that.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Seems I recall reading the same comments about the 2.0L TDIs. And they all sold. I think the Touaregs (and the Audis, when approved) will all sell. If you want one, this is your last chance to get new. People will pay for that.
Agreed.

911c4fan

TDI
2014 A6, 2016 A7, 2014A8L, 2014Q5, 2016Q5, 2013 Q7, 2014Q7, 2014Q7, 2013Q7, 2015 Q5, 2016 Q5 Prestige S line
For what it is worth....New Country Audi of Greenwich is offering 25 % plus off on four 2015 new Q7's. They want 48,900 and that seems like a bargain to me as one is a Presitige S line with a sticker of 69! I saw them at cars.com. Smoking deal.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
The audi dealership im dealing with has three never sold q7 tdi’s. Two are prestige models and one is a “sea-to-sky” model.

Next week im going to visit the A7 i put my deposit on. Its been 8 months since ive seen it.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
But there was significant factory incentive money and special financing on the 2.0's. Loco just said there wasn't any on the Touaregs. 10% off MSRP Is outrageous on a car sitting for years unsold. I got that much off without even trying a year ago on a 2017 Audi. People buying $50,000+ vehicles will not overpay for these TDI's, especially the T-regs. Remember, none of the 3.0 TDI's sold particularly well prior to the scandal broke.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I agree on the incentives, but it sounds like dealers will discount these cars. It's hard for me to judge since I'm not a candidate for this type of car. Even though my 335d didn't cost me much, it reinforced my belief that I'm an inexpensive car person. I just don't appreciate the features, and the cost of ownership bugs me.

Jengel451

TDI
potential
As someone that is in the market for a new one. I can tell you that 10 or 15% will make me throw my wallet at another brand, that's a no brainer. There will be some that will let emotion take over and they will get a few buyers out of the gate.

It's the end of the year, the dealers want to get some numbers on that bottom line this month.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
What my dealer told me is that at the end of the day it is basically the same deal as the 2.0 (in VW's eyes). He said they (VW) were disappointed with how few of the 2.0 cars were leased or even financed and supposedly a large number of the cars were paid for in cash. So basically the zero financing over the life of the loan is equal to the higher up front discount given on these cars. Once again, they do not as of Saturday have the final answers from VW on rates, but this is what I was told is the most likely scenario.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I think VW and Audi will have a tougher time with the 3.0 stop sale cars, because the competitive feature set in this market now includes goodies like adaptive cruise control, air suspension, car play, digital cockpit, cooled seats, etc. You can find certain of these features in a 2016 TDI but others are a no go. You are down to Diesel engine lovers and even they can go to a Land Rover or a BMW, or even a (cough) Jeep.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
What my dealer told me is that at the end of the day it is basically the same deal as the 2.0 (in VW's eyes).
I don't think dealers are very good at math. The discount for leasing my GSW along with dealer discount reduced the MSRP by about 35%, after lease fees. I paid the lease off early, avoiding the interest charges. 20% off a 2015 3.0L isn't the same as 35% off a '15 2.0L. Just saying.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think dealers are very good at math. The discount for leasing my GSW along with dealer discount reduced the MSRP by about 35%, after lease fees. I paid the lease off early, avoiding the interest charges. 20% off a 2015 3.0L isn't the same as 35% off a '15 2.0L. Just saying.
I would think your scenario wasn't the norm though, wouldn't you? I'm not good enough with finance numbers to know what's what though. And remember as we talked before, Most people got ZERO dealer discount.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My dealer discount was pretty small. Even without it the discount on the GSW was over 30%. I would think dealers could get into that range with the 3.0Ls.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
I would think your scenario wasn't the norm though, wouldn't you? I'm not good enough with finance numbers to know what's what though. And remember as we talked before, Most people got ZERO dealer discount.
$8500 discount on a MSRP $28000 car is a 30% discount.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
I meant on top of what VW offered. Typically, dealers wouldn’t move off of MSRP.

trekkar

Veteran Member
TDI
05 bug,02 golf
Got a call today from a vw dealer about a treg I wanted to buy about a year ago. 2016 TDI 59k MSRP and he said he could give it to me for 5k off. The last time I was looking at buying a new one it was in 2012 and I was able to get 8k off a 48K MSRP vehicle. It would need to be low 40s at this point to even think about it for me.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Got a call today from a vw dealer about a treg I wanted to buy about a year ago. 2016 TDI 59k MSRP and he said he could give it to me for 5k off. The last time I was looking at buying a new one it was in 2012 and I was able to get 8k off a 48K MSRP vehicle. It would need to be low 40s at this point to even think about it for me.
There's an ass for every seat. Mine isn't one of them for prices ABOVE pre- scandal!

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
That article says exactly what I originally said and what I was offered, so yes, I guess I can validate it.

dennisjs

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI sportwagen 6spd, 2012 Touareg TDI Lux bought back by VW and traded on a new 2016 Touareg TDI Lux
Got a voicemail from the dealer and then an email. He basically verified that it will be 15% off a 2016 VW Touareg LUX TDI ($59270) but made no mention of backing out the Freight charge. I guess that we will see. My appointment date with VW is December 20.

Last edited:

bhuizer

TDI
2014 Toureg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, Past: 2012 Touareg TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
If you look at what low mileage used Tregs are selling for right now, mid-upper 40's is too much for a new one.

dennisjs

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI sportwagen 6spd, 2012 Touareg TDI Lux bought back by VW and traded on a new 2016 Touareg TDI Lux
If you look at what low mileage used Tregs are selling for right now, mid-upper 40's is too much for a new one.
I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. The TDIs are worth more than the gassers and they are new with a ten year/100,000 mile power train warranty in addition to the 36/36000 warranty (2016 model year). I'll take my chances. I predict that since there really is not a glut of cars out there VW/AUDI/PORSCHE will have no trouble finding homes for these cars.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
I also received a call from a dealer that the 2016 Touareg I have a deposit on is ready for sale - they said the offer was ~$9k off, which matches what has been said about 15% off MSRP for 2016MY VWs 3.0 TDIs.

Probably not a deal I am willing to take for a car that was built in 2015. In just a little looking around I have seen several 2017 gassers for sale with <20k miles for ~$40k. Even with the discount the TDI is going to be around $11k more than one of these used 17s, and $11k will buy a lot of gas to make up for the lost economy (I guess I could talk myself into it also covering any additional maintenance issues on the gasser that wouldn't be covered under the settlement's extended warranty provisions on the TDI).

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Email from Tuesday,

Pathetic loser,

I went to the General Manager's office for my pricing. He said because of the market value of the new 2016 TDI Touareg's, we will be selling them at MSRP. Some VW Dealers will have additional dealer mark up on top of that price. I do have one Touareg TDI that was an owner Demo that I can sell for $3,000 off original MSRP. It is a Gold color.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
Things will change fast when nobody buys them.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Even though my 335d didn't cost me much, it reinforced my belief that I'm an inexpensive car person. I just don't appreciate the features, and the cost of ownership bugs me.
Interesting you're saying that IBW. That thought has been bouncing around in my mind as I think about what I might want to buy next year after I do the BB. I've thought about a '14 or '15 328d, but then I get this uncomfortable feeling in me. I've owned three 3-series BMW's over the last 20 years, loved the cars, but my mind is more at ease with a moderate priced car, rather than a high end car.

dennisjs

Veteran Member
TDI
I just sold back to VW (actually traded) my 2012 Touareg TDI LUX and took delivery of a new (not a demo) 2016 Touareg TDI LUX. I received 15% off of MSRP (they did not back out the freight) and they subtracted the entire trade in amount from the discounted price. The dealer was handed the title to my 2012 by the VW rep and told me that VW would then buy the car from them and pay them the trade in amount. Overall I am very happy with the 2016 (it had the 2500. safety package which cut my insurance by 14. per year). The dealer replaced the battery, brakes, rotors, pads, tires, wiper blades, cabin air filter, all the fluids and did a very good job of cleaning and waxing the car. It is a September 2015 build. The car runs great, handles great and the difference in performance from my 2012 is subtle. The most obvious difference is the runaway train that the new car is going down a hill but honestly with the manual (aka "Sport") mode it is an easy fix. Was it worth a two year wait? I told the dealer that I wanted to buy this car in June of 2016.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I just sold back to VW (actually traded) my 2012 Touareg TDI LUX and took delivery of a new (not a demo) 2016 Touareg TDI LUX. I received 15% off of MSRP (they did not back out the freight) and they subtracted the entire trade in amount from the discounted price. The dealer was handed the title to my 2012 by the VW rep and told me that VW would then buy the car from them and pay them the trade in amount.
Did you pay sales tax on the net, or on the gross sales price of the 2016?

There's been a lot of discussion here about whether we can structure it as a trade-in in order to save the sales tax (in most states which allow that). And the consensus answer was that it wasn't possible.