www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old December 1st, 2017, 18:49   #1
cgetschow

Default Turn signal, cruise control lever removal

First off, let me say I'm not a newbie mechanic - I've lived with and worked on VWs all of my driving life (40+ years). My daily driver is an '85 Vanagon. Having said that, I'm no pro - nearly every job is a learning experience (and an opportunity to expand my tool collection), it seems.
Right now I'm trying to replace my 2006 Jetta TDI's ignition lock assembly and have gotten stuck at the step in the Bentley where they tell you to use a 1mm feeler gauge to help remove the turn signal and cruise control stalks (I'd give the reference but the Bentley is out in the car and I'm not on speaking terms with the car right now). From the description, I'm supposed to shove the feeler gauge in there and apply pressure to move some invisible catch toward the steering column. It's not working for me. Anyone with experience have some advice? What am I missing?
cgetschow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 21:27   #2
relumalutan
Veteran Member

I assume that you have already removed the steering wheel. From what I recall, the 1mm feeler gauge is needed to unlock the clip holding the module attached directly under steering column, in front of the cylinder lock, the turn signal, cruise control and wiper stalk connect to it. The video in the attached link shows you where you need to insert the 1 mm feeler gauge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEGCgPimxl8

Also, there are two shear bolts that hold the ignition lock. They are a pain to remove, I have removed them using the following video, it's the easiest way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNrmQBrx-fA

Unless you have done it already, you will need to order two new shear bolts from the dealer.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 15:13   #3
cgetschow

I actually had already removed the module under the steering column and was stuck on removing the stalks. Your first link led me to another video which shows how to do this (near the end): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEZI0Iu-gM4 . Everything's back together and working now. You're right: those shear bolts were no fun, but I was able to manage just fine with with a drill & an easy-out. Thanks for helping to get me over the hump!
cgetschow is offline   Reply With Quote