www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 28th, 2017, 21:14   #1
Philidelphia Collins

Default Headliner Swap

Iíve found someone who is parting out a 2010 MK6 Jetta. Will the headliner from the MK6 fit in a Mk5 Jetta?
Philidelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 06:05   #2
relumalutan
Veteran Member

From what I recall, a 2010 Jetta is pretty much a mk5 with the electronics of a mk6. The headliner should fit with no problem.
Old November 29th, 2017, 10:59   #3
tactdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005.5 Jetta

Don't pay for the headliner until you get it out. It is a tight fit to get the headliner out, and requires a little bending.

One also needs to remove the front seats and console to make the removal easier. Also, since this is a parts car, remove the steering wheel, which
will provide additional room.
tactdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 11:04   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

They are both A5 platforms, so it should be the same as far as that goes.

There is no "A6" Jetta sedan, technically, because the 6th gen Jetta sedan is the NCS (New Compact Sedan) which is no longer a Golf with a trunk, and is a completely different car.
Old November 29th, 2017, 20:01   #5
Rechtsverdreher
Veteran Member

myturbodiesel.com has a great tutorial posted on what is involved in the process.
Rechtsverdreher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 15:59   #6
Philidelphia Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactdi View Post
Don't pay for the headliner until you get it out. It is a tight fit to get the headliner out, and requires a little bending.

One also needs to remove the front seats and console to make the removal easier. Also, since this is a parts car, remove the steering wheel, which
will provide additional room.
Thereís a VW salvage yard near me that has a headliner already removed from An 06 for $100. Then I also found someone parting out their 2010. Depending on price not too sure what to go with. Id have to look at the already removed one in person before making a decision.
Old December 1st, 2017, 16:00   #7
Philidelphia Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rechtsverdreher View Post
myturbodiesel.com has a great tutorial posted on what is involved in the process.
Iíve read the tutorial and have it bookmarked on my web browser. Been wanting to do this for a couple years now but just havent found the time or a good headliner to use.
Old December 1st, 2017, 16:18   #8
kbaisley
Veteran Member

Personally speaking, i would lean to the 2010. the issue with the headliner is that the foam backing to the headliner material degrades over time. If the 2010 is clean, theoretically, its that much newer.
kbaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 21:37   #9
relumalutan
Veteran Member

I have upgraded the headliner in my 06 Jetta to the GLI black one in May. I think the new GLI headliner that I have ordered from the dealership is much worse than the original that came with the car. The original, when I've pulled it out was like new, no sagging at all, it had extra headliner material to go over the edges. On the GLI one, they have barely used enough headliner material to cover the edges. I expect to have a sagging problem with it, sooner or later.
make sure you remove the front seats, possibly the steering wheel also, it makes the installation much easier. Also, you will need to order from the dealership the clips that hold the headliner in place.