Took in the '13 TDI to the dealer yesterday

Minerrick

TDI
2013 Touraeg
for the Touareg emissions fix. Yesterday the CEL light came on and we figured we'd get that fixed too. A few hours later got the "good news/bad news" call. The good news was they found the problem and it was the adblue heater. The bad news was the adblue heater has been pulled from all the shelves in the US/Canada and Europe. You cannot find one anywhere according to the dealer.... great.... so when will the new ones show up? They don't have any new ones and there is no ETA date for them. They don't exist. So without the adblue heater, I cannot get the emissions fix. I am on hold indefinitely. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, I live in snow country and it gets very cold here. Is there a problem not having an adblue heater? I assume it just keeps the adblue from jelling and if it is jelled, then the emissions just are off, but the engine still runs? Anyone have a clue? My wife is pissed because we were going to trade it in on Sunday for an new ridgeline truck, but now that opportunity has been squashed. Any recommendations?

bhuizer

TDI
2014 Toureg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, Past: 2012 Touareg TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
I had my DEF tank heater replaced last month on my '14. The "pulled from the shelves" story doesn't sound right. They are a common failure from what I've been told, so for them to not be available anymore doesn't seem accurate.

DEF will freeze, even in a properly functioning tank. Everytime you shut your car off the DEF is pumped back to the tank to prevent it from freezing in the DEF lines/DEF injector and causing damage. I'm not sure what will happen if the tank does not un-thaw. More than likely there will be engine faults related to the DEF system not being able to pressurize properly. I don't foresee any permanent damage happening.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We do have one in stock, but they are on backorder with VW. Our dealer was going to try and order another with a vehicle's VIN to speed up delivery, but we don't know how well that will work. They do have a new part number, now it ends in the letter B. Update the part number and backorder the part. Typical VW.

Minerrick

TDI
2013 Touraeg
Indigo- can I get my dealer to order the part from you guys? I'd really like to get this car sold. I actually saw that you sell them. I forwarded the link to the parts manager at Reno Lithia and we will see what comes of it. Hopefully, he will jump on it. He says he can only buy VW sanctioned parts for warranty and your post says OEM, so it should work?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not sure. Dealers do buy from us, but if it's for a warranty repair it may have to come to them from their local warehouse. Worth a shot, however. It is an OE VW part.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
And its reno vw.... if it arrives in vw packaging, marked vw, must be vw part. They are losing money here folks, that's the reason.