Hey Guys, I'm new here

Futureman

Veteran Member
Hey Guys, I\'m new here

Well guys, I thought I'd never own a diesel, but here I am. I never had any negative thoughts about diesel engines in cars, its just that I didn't think it was available. But anyway, on with my Story:

I just purchased a 2001 Jetta GL TDI and I couldn't be happier with it. It has 37K miles and I bought it on the 18th of August and I must say it is a little boring not having to go to the pump so much!

I used to own a 97 Limited FWD 4Runner before I bought this vehicle. I never did like Sport utility vehicles very much, but I decided to give it a try and I never liked this very much. Then I went to Spain to study for 6 months. I also visited many other places in Europe too, including Germany. But I was always envious of the Volkswagens on the Autopista because I was always driving my Girlfriend's 90's Ford Fiesta which wouldn't go faster than 120km/hr! Maybe that is part of the reason I decided to get a VW! But when i got back, having paid the very high prices of Gas, I felt sinful driving the 4Runner, because it only got (at the best) 19 MPG, and at 65k miles, I realized that vehicle wasn't going to last me very long, not like another vehicle could. So I sold the 4Runner for 16.5k and set out looking for a new car. I was in the mindset of buying a small Japanese car for the reliability and the lower price. A standard transmission was a must since I developed a taste for it in Europe. Looking in the Car lot, I spotted a 97 TDI with 75k miles on it for 15k. I thought this was too high. Besides, it had an Automatic transmission. This was really bad for me, though, because I had my mind set on a new Japanese car. I became terribly unsure if that is what I wanted, because that car looked so cool. I had yet to discover how it drove or the quality of the interior, but I was drawn to it immediately.

Let me interrupt here to give you an idea of the timeframe here. I sold the car on Thursday around noon and had to move to school on Monday, so I had very limited time to purchase a car. When I got home that night I decided to look up TDIs on the internet and found one reasonably close at around 3 hours away. I called the man and the price was 14,5k. I felt like this was a good deal, since the dealer trade-in value was higher. I told the man that I would take it! At this point I hadn't even seen the car, or been on the inside of the Jetta yet! Although my friend who was driving me assured it was a good car. I test-drove a standard 2002 TDI at the dealership and was decided that it was the right choice. I also did the online carfax report also and found it to be clean. Off we went to the man to purchase the vehicle. I was satisfied and paid the man. It was empty, so I had to fill it up. Initially I had trouble finding a station and a diesel pump that I knew how to operate, but I found one and I was off. I drove 2 hours home and 3.5 hours to school and about 1 hour on another trip all on a tank of gas. Plus, I was only about 7/8ths empty! I loved it. I feel like I am redeeming my self for burning all of that gas in the 4Runner.
A couple of weeks later, I am still happy and haven't found any bad surprises. I've become a diesel nut, and have really enjoyed reading these pages. I'll never get a gasoline car again. I'm also interested in biodiesel, but I'm a little scared of putting anything I make into my new baby! Although I only have 37,000 miles, I am thinking of taking it to a dealer to have the 40k checkup done soon and request that the timing belt be changed, since I know how important it is. The car itself is as tight as a drum! I had no idea that Volkswagens had the same German engineering feel as BMW! I feel like I'm riding in a 14.5k$ BMW! I feel I couldn't have gotten a better car for the money. The only thing that disappointed me was learning that the car was made in Mexico. Are the Mexican Volkswagens worse than Germans? I relize that this would be expected, but has anyone evedince of this? The car runs very smoothly and has no rattles. The only undesirable noise is from the A/C when I recirculate the air. It is a slight whistle. Also there is some considerable tire noise, but I'm thinking of changing the tire soon anyway.

Now I have a REAL question for you smart guys. I am planning on moving to Germany in May for 12 months and would love to bring my TDI with me. I know that vehicles aren't necessary there, but it is very convenient having one for trips, etc. Also, my driver's license is from MS, which is a state that has the reciprocity agreement with Germany, so I'd only have to pay a small fee to have a German license. I have thought that I could possibly buy a very cheap car there for the cost of importing and exporting, but I would really like to bring it along rather than having it sit for a year. The only problem is the cost. I was wondering if you guys knew of the cheapest possibility of getting myself and my car to Germany? I had possibly considered riding in the transport ship. I realise that there are actual "Freighter Cruises" that take pasengers, but that is expensive. Something more spartan won't bother me at all for the Atlantic crossing. Maybe I could work up a deal with the transporter? ; ). But, this is my serious question. How can I transport it cheaply. Ideally, I would like to be able to do it for less than 1000, both ways. I don't know much about this, but I hope it's possible. If I could go on the boat with the car that could be as high as 1,700 both ways. What do you guys think? I'm really interested in driving my car in Europe when I live there. Its really sad knowing that you own a car and that you can't use it! Especially if it is a TDI! I would really like some info on this. Thanks a lot.

Michael

mjbach

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
Re: Hey Guys, I\'m new here

Futureman--Welcome and that's a lot of questions. Don't bring it to the dealership for anything until you have spent a few nights reading the posts here. If ain't broke don't fix it. If you do take it to Europe they can fix it better there anyway.

Might be cheaper to just buy/sell a car when you get to Europe than to ship it. However, if money is no object....

Sounds like you got a good deal and smart to check the history. I didn't do my homework on ours and got shafted but I still love the cute little thing.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat

I had the experiance of transporting a car over seas...it isn't cheap..and it is not easy...of all the problems ( which I was unprepaired for)...I think "re-entry" was the worst part of the whole process. Coming back into the country required "certification" that the car met the origanal USA EPA specifications. The paper work .....going form one governmental agency to another and then finding a place that was approved by the government to perform the certification...and when I did ....they don't give an inch...if it fails...its a one shot deal. You have to start all over again AFTER you have the work done to get the car into spec. What is boils down to...you'll have to find a German inspection facility that is approved to perform the EPA certification inspection....lots of luck on that one.I'm not saying its imposiable....but it sure isn't going to be easy. You have to have all of your ducks in a row....long befor your ready to return to the states....IMHO...Go to Germany....buy a used BMW motorcycle & side car...have fun...and then sell it befor you come back.

Almost for got....head lights....you have to have these replaced...for euro lights...because...the car must meet entry requirements when the car enters a German port ....there may also be other odd things to address for entry...

Futureman

Veteran Member

Wow, that seems dificult! Judging from the Import/Export website, I didn't think that it would be that dificult, but I knew the Euro headlights were different (Better IMHO). Why does it have to be recertified here in the US? It was a US car to begin with! Even still, why wouldn't it pass inspection? I don't plan on modifications. Is it possible that when you did this it was a long time ago with an older car? As far as emissions tests go, maybe I could fill up with Biodiesel, just to make sure things go smoothly. Money is certianly an object, btw, but I'm hoping that given the amount of time that I have, I could possibly make things easier on myself. But this is very interesting to me. It seems mindboggling that the reentry would be difficult! But, I guess that's just the government for you. Did you use an operation specifically for transporting cars, or some other method? From the sites I have seen, it appears that they help you with these procedures. Well, thanks for the info.

Futureman

Veteran Member

I also wanted to add that the convenience of being able to carry my belongings in my car would help a lot too.

retired_in_Chico

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Silver

Have you checked on German Car insurance rates? I've shipped several vehicles overseas over the years and have had stuff ripped off (spare tire, jack, radio) about half the time. If you're thinking of putting all your stuff in your car and shipping it and expect it all to be there on the "other end", you should get some insurance against theft. FYI - most of the theft occurs at the East Coast US ports as my vehicles were always in crates when they arrived and I watched them being opened.

Futureman

Veteran Member

Bad theft, huh? I suppose I could lock up anything stealable in the trunk and give the guys the valet key. So tell me, how much did it cost you and was it very problematic? Having the TDI in Europe would be great, because not only is diesel fuel much cheaper, but the gas mileage is better. So it would probably cost half as much. If I could get a rabbit in Germany, I would be happy. What is the volkswagen rabbit called in Germany? I'm am primarily interested in the prices and the amount of trouble you guys have.

keith-i

Futureman, do you really need to fully export your car for the 12 months. I live in the UK and I think I can take my car onto mainland Europe without having to change registrations etc. I would just treat it like one long holiday! The only important thing is to make sure you have insurance that will cover your US registered car whilst it is away from home for the year. I know of people that have brought US cars to the UK and I also know of people taking UK cars to Germany so therefore the whole must be perfectly feasible. Good luck, and I hope I enjoy my diesel Audi (due next week) half as much as you like your Jetta.

TDI914

TDI
03 Jetta Platinum Grey 5sp/ Monterey

Futureman, wow. go buy an Audi A4 with the TDI in it, and bring it home to us and we'll buy it!!!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan

Dude, leave your tdi home and lease a PD while you are there!! You can get a 6 spd, all wheel drive Golf that will still get 46 mpg and let you cruise at 125 mph!
-tditom

snoopis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5spd

tdiTom

Too bad that's not 46mpg@125mph!

When I was over there, we had a 2.0, rated at 31mpg I think for highway, but we never saw better than about 17mpg
(usually at 215km/h
). We travelled back and forth between Karlsruhe and Leipzig almost every weekend. Those were some expensive weekends!

If you're shipping a car over there, I think it takes about 6 weeks, so be prepared to go without for a while.
But I would definitely have some sort of car while you're there. Their public transportation is much better than ours, but it still SUCKS compared to being able to drive, IMO.
Dont forget to check out the registration taxes.

Futureman

Veteran Member

Yeah, I know it isn't really feasable, but I obviously won't be able to buy an Audi A4 or anything like that. I realize that it is a long shot, but I have a long time to get something worked out. If I get lucky, maybe I'll get a deal. You guys love the Euro TDI's so much, you advise me to buy one there, but the Jetta was strain enough on my finances! I won't be able to afford anything nice there, that's why I would like to take it. Also, there is the question of who is going to drive it while I'm gone. Do I really want to trust my car, even to my family, for an entire year? Are they going to have the same attitude towards owning a diesel as I am? My family, except for me, has a reputation of being bad on cars! Its not like I don't trust my family normally, but when it comes to my car, its a big no. My previos car that I left at home when I was in Spain didn't drive the same when I got back.

Also, my stay in Germany could be longer than 12 months. If I recive my degree then, I'll really have no reason to go back to the USA, and considering I want to live in Germany some time, I think having the car there will provide an excuse. Or it will, at the very least, keep me tied, in some respects to Germany. Needless to say, I love the German way of driving and would really like to have my car over there. Some technicalities do arrise though they may be minor! First, the back license plate isn't wide enought for the Euro plates. I would have to get one of those stupid looking two-lined plates that are weird looking. Maybe there is a way to rig it where the long plates can fit on top of the hole. Hehe, I like to think about these things, but they are of course not my real problems.

I wondered if it were possible to drive it there! But I realized that there are no roads in the eastern parts of Russia and the Western parts of alaska. However, there is a planned project to make a Paris-Moscow-New York superhighway! Maybe one day we'll be able to drive to Europe! The ultimate road trip. In a TDI, it would actually be quite cheap! but it is an estimated 12 day travel time!!!

Well, like I said, I am probably not going to do this, but I am seriously entertaining the idea and seeing if it is possible. Thanks for the info, and keep it coming.

George

TDI
2012 Audi A3 Silver, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen, White

Futureman,

Recommend you contact a shipping company and ask about the costs. To get some leads you could also call the military household goods shipping office in Gulfport and see who they use for car shipments.

Where in Germany? The German mass transit is excellent, efficient, and goes everywhere. That plus a bike is almost all you'll need. Assume you'll be in school there so it seems you'd be looking to save money. You could sell your car, use transit (and a bike and any friends with cars you meet), save enough to get one of those great european diesels there if you stay.

Just some other thoughts.

George

Futureman

Veteran Member

I am going to go to Freiburg, and I know that they have good transportation systems and all, but I really want to have a car there. If not my American car, then I want to buy one there. I know that the transportation system is excellent, but I just got back from doing the same thing there in Spain and had no car and it wasn't so bad, because Valencia is a big city, but in a Smaller German town, I think I'll need one. I spent 3 weeks in one and I was always having to use a car. Plus, I just love the freedom. Also, if I do any travel, I think the TDI would be the cheapest way to travel, without question. Diesel is around 80 cents a liter and you can go 900km in one tank, so it would be the best way. Of course I am still just hoping at this point