02 jetta bad motor/ transmission mounts?

IH-Mitch

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI
Hello everyone, my 02 jetta tdi has developed a nasty thunking sound while in reverse/ drive facing down hill or when coming around a swooping left turn without my foot on the accelerator. This sound does not happen in neutral or drive. The vibrations/ noise feels like it's coming directly between the passenger and drivers seat.

Yesterday I replaced the ball joins and control arm bushings as they were getting bad but didn't see anything out of concern.

Through various searches it seems like the most common recommendations are to replace the a-arm bushings and check the axels for play. With new a-arm bushings and axels feeling good I'm beginning to think it's the motor mounts. Watching the engine move while sitting in the shop it does move but nothing I would call concerning but I'm also not able to reproduce it in the shop by myself.

Thoughts are since the car must be under pressure from reverse or park to happen that the engine is being torqued by the transmission which is causing the motor mounts to take the majority of the load at that point.

Anyone else thinking it's the motor or transmission mount?

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
the dogbone mount is usually the first one to cause a problem.

could also just be that the exhaust is contacting the body somewhere.....check for loose/broken hangers.

IH-Mitch

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI
the dogbone mount is usually the first one to cause a problem.

could also just be that the exhaust is contacting the body somewhere.....check for loose/broken hangers.
Thanks for the reply. The dogbone mount has been replaced as well, forgot to include that in the posting. Going to double check the exhaust tonight