Back after 13+ years :D

Mitch

TDI
98 New Beetle / 03 Beetle DSG
After losing my 98NB TDI and my daughter on Christmas Day 1999, I have been driving katie's 99 NB 2.0L auto for 231K miles. Angelisa died a few weeks ago loosing the transmission all over the highway at 70 mph :( I have put her in storage until next spring when I get my next bonus when I plan to convert her to full electric.

I started looking for a used TDI for long trips as all Electric doesn't have much range. After looking for a couple of weeks, I gave up trying to solve other peoples problems and bought a 2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White (with no stinkin' hole in the roof) 2 days ago.

I see I have allot to learn about what I missed over the last 13+ years. I don't expect to do anything special. I am going to have Herbie decals put on tomorrow and leave the car pretty basic.

I am still on the first tank of fuel. Anything special about where to buy or not buy fuel.

I notice that here it is recommended to NOT change the oil too soon, but my dealer wants to do a 30 day/1000 mile service which includes an oil change. I will talk to them about it tomorrow.

Anything else I should know about this TDI verses the 98 TDI. I have read about the break-in period.

Good to be back :D

Last edited:

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
The 30 day service shouldn't include an oil change. My 30 day service on my sportwagen was 4 months ago. They just want to check all the parts to see if it has actually stayed together. They really don't do anything except for topping off fluids and checking lights. Maybe put it on a lift to check bolts.

As with Fuel just use your common sense like always! I have gotten better mileage out of BP (here in omaha).

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Unless there is something new with the TDI in the beatle,other instructions for other TDIs say 10K miles for the change.

As to fuel,go to high volume stations and read up on additives for lubricity. I use PS with every fueling,but there are many opinions about it. Good luck

Mitch

TDI
Talked with service today, the 30 day service is just to top everything off and make sure everything is ok, no oil change.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Hey Mitch welcome home!! I remember it like it was yesterday.......
Glad to see you back enjoy!! This is a vastly different car than you 98 though......You should maybe do a little reading......

Mitch

TDI
I noticed, I even had to install my own Bud Vase :)

I am not really liking the auto, but my wife insisted on it. I have been reading, it is a different car.

Mitch

TDI
I dont get the DSG yet.

I have shifted it manually, but it just doesn't seem right without a clutch. And I guess I need to re-read the manual more about it, I don't get what the "S" is for.

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
The "S" is for sport and simply is the same as "D" except it shifts at a higher RPM.

I miss my manual too, the DSG should not be advertised as a like manual system. It is nothing like a manual system... I would equate it to the augmentation of the Automated function of the DSG... When I do use it I prefer the paddle shifting on the wheel vs the stick as the stick is not as fun as a manual stick.

Although paddle shifting is harder in turns.

I would have gotten the manual but my wife can't drive one.

RedBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle Convertible - sold back
The DSG is definitely not he same as a manual.

As far as automatics go, it is really not bad.

S mode is really useful when you need to merge into traffic. Just don't leave it there. Your fuel economy will suffer. ;)

flydiesel

TDI
2013 Beetle
Enjoy it! I have a 2013 Candy White also, a manual. Very efficient...I find i get a tad better mileage with Stanadyne Performance Formula, so I use it every tank for peace of mind and Psychological Effect haha! Have fun, you will love it!

Mitch

TDI
I have been using a Power Service Cetane Boost, don't know if it is helping. I think once I run out, I will go without for a few tanks and see how it goes. I am getting over 500 miles a tank, which is much better than my 98 did when it was new.