Need rad fans ...

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Or at least mine torn apart and the motor cleaned ( if that's possible ) I keep blowing fuses and have even tried using a circuit breaker just to save some $$ on fuses. So now I have had it. Either I need my fans worked on or new ones. Is there any other source other than from VW for new fans ?

weasel

TDI
None.
I'll check and see. If I can't get the pn off the fan itself, I'll get it off ETKA. One thing scares me though, new fans are $435 ( at least on one web page ... ) !!!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
If you've got two fans, the one is 3A0 959 455 B, the other is 3A0 959 455 M.
If you have one fan its 1H0 959 455.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I can get the 1Ho 959 455 K for about $100 US plus shipping.This would be for the set up with one motor and two fans.Check yours out and let me know.

weasel

TDI
None.
I think that's the fan I need. The "k" suffix is a two speed fan and the "j" is a one speed. I think I have the "j", but having a two speed would certainly be better. I might be able to get one local to me, if not, I'll give you a shout Metal Man. One question though, I assume that the fan is used ? If so, what's the mileage on it ?

weasel

TDI
None.
I just found another possibility of me blowing fuses. The relay itself by the overflow bottle. I will do some investigating and see if I can determine if that is the problem. I wonder if I can just wire up a heavy duty relay instead of the OEM one. I was told that they were $200 CDN

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
No,my parts are NEW.If the fan spins free then it should be ok.Maybe you can run some jumper wires to it just to test it.If you need the relay box I can probably get that too.Again please supply a number.

weasel

TDI
None.
Sorry for the delay. I found pn 357 919 506 C ( that's for the whole control module I think ) and 357 906 381 ( fan relay ) Do you know where this relay is ?? It looks as though it might be below the control module and in my opinion might be the culprit.

weasel

TDI
None.
Well I found a broken wire right at the thermal switch. That might explain why my fans haven't even been blowing a fuse lately. I'll repair that and let you know if I still need the module.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
I checked on the module, my supplier has a 3AO 919 506 that they say replaces the 357 919 506C.It is $105,BUT with this being a Canadian model and an electrical part I would hesitate to send you one for fear of it not being the right one for you.The relay is $10.

weasel

TDI
None.
I'll confirm if its a module I need tonight. I repaired the harness to the temp sensor. I couldn't get the temp to go higher than normal while idling ( was cool this aft. ). I'll try again tonight and if I can't, I'll hotwire it to come on.

weasel

TDI
None.
Its alive !! and I got two speeds too
Turns out that there was a broken wire at the thermal switch ( in the rad ) This loose wire could have easily caused the blown fuse problem I was having.