Brake wear indictor troubleshooting

4Cornered

TDI
2002 Golf
Brake wear indicator troubleshooting

Vehicle: 2002 Golf, 175k miles. The brake wear indicator is coming on, but the pads are not worn. Checked by dealer and measured by me on all four wheels. Pulled drivers front wheel, disconnected wire from pad, checked for continuity and is good. Is there another cause for the indicator to light and sound other than failure in the wiring? Is there a way of testing the continuity from the connection to the cluster? I know I can turn it off with a VAG COM, but before choosing that option, I'd like to determine the cause.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
If you have an old set of pads take the plug end and join the wires together, plug it in and check to see of it goes out. Of not it's not the pads but more than likely wiring

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Driver front is the only wheel with a pad wear sensor. Any intermittent open in the wiring path can cause the nuisance light. On mine, it was a flaky connection at the connector itself (where brake pad connects to wire from car). The light can be "disabled" by manually connecting the wires together in any fashion. The light can also be disabled by using vag-com software and performing a minor re-code to the instrument cluster, so it doesn't check the brake wear sensor any more. That process is written up on the forum here somewhere, and is what I did to mine.