Nitrogen for tires

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I was wondering where you all get the nitrogen for the tires. I know that I can go to the dealer, but it is Sunday and the service department is closed. Can I use the shielding nitrogen from my welder? I know that nitrogen is nitrogen, but is it cleaner or drier for the tires than for welding? Thanks in advance...Mark

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
I think that would be perfect.

I have Nitrogen in my tires from Costco only because it is free. I wouldn't pay extra for it.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I think that would be perfect.
I have Nitrogen in my tires from Costco only because it is free. I wouldn't pay extra for it.
Thanks for the response. That is kind of what I thought. I just need to make an adapter for the nitrogen bottle. Is the Costco nitrogen for any member or do you have to have bought the tires there?...Thanks Mark

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
The welding stuff is fine. You do have to buy the tires there.... and don't go paying extra for it.

Bill
Thanks, I just looked at my welding gas and it is 75% argon and 25% nitrogen, so I won't be using that. One question, I know that 1 of the advantages of nitrogen is that it is much drier than air, What about argon? It is an inert gas, but is it wet? These are just informational questions, because I'll just go to the dealer tomorrow. If it is something that is worth it, I can get a bottle of nitrogen at the welding shop and have all the nitrogen that I'll ever need...Mark

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Argon is not "wet" (there is no water vapor in it), but using it in tires is a waste of money at best. Using pure nitrogen in tires has some slight advantages. I would always use nitrogen in my tires, if it was free. However, a nice mix of 78% nitrogen along with some Oxygen and CO2 (and a bunch of other trace gases) works almost just as well, and it is free. I would not worry too much about water in the air (especially in the desert).

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
''I just looked at my welding gas and it is 75% argon and 25% nitrogen''

Might want to check that again. Most likely argon and co2. don't know of a welding process using nitrogen for shielding.

dieselsipper

Veteran Member
most "nitrogen" supplied by dealers and service shops is none other than good old compressed air that has been run through a dryer. only nitrogen from a cylinder will be pure. Make friends with your local tool and die shop. They use nitrogen to charge gas springs in dies. They always have a surplus of gas due to the high pressure needed to charge the springs rendering a nearly full cylinder of nitrogen useless for them once they lose high pressure.

For the record, I prefer 78% nitrogen.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
''I just looked at my welding gas and it is 75% argon and 25% nitrogen''

Might want to check that again. Most likely argon and co2. don't know of a welding process using nitrogen for shielding.

You are right, I was thinking nitrogen as I was reading CO2. I have never paid for nitrogen either, this is the first time that I got a low pressure indication. I have researched this quite a bit and see no reason not to use compressed air. I have a 62 Fairlane that has tires on it that I bought in 1993 and the air hasn't seemed to hurt them any. And, yes I know they are too old to drive on, it only goes around the block to keep things lubed up. My compressor also has a drier on it so that is what I am going to do, thanks for all the help...Mark