Is New Beetle feminine?

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
I just bought a New Beetle, trading in a 1999 BMW 3-Series Convertible. Wanted to try something new this time ad bought the New Beetle TDI 5-Speed, and I love it. Some people thinks it's a girlie car and thinsk only women drives it. I say, who cares, I think it's a great car, and had I know earlier, I would have bought one.

So is it girlie or is it a nice car?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
It's not a girlie car if you are a gay guy.

Just kidding, I have one myself and I'm not gay. (sorry, gays... I mean guys) :)

If anyone driving a gas rig gives you any crap. just tell them that diesels are Mans cars and gassers are chick cars.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
whitedog said:
If anyone driving a gas rig gives you any crap. just tell them that diesels are Mans cars and gassers are chick cars.
Yup. Gassers are for wussies.;) Diesel *anything* is automatically a man's car.

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
LMAO, I see people smiling at me and I didn't do anything. So I try to do one of the following or in combinations but not more than two at a time: A) Ignore them, B) Smile back, as long as she is cute, C) Pretend that I am fiddling with the stereo.

So, it's starting to grow into me, so I don't mind!
whitedog said:
It's not a girlie car if you are a gay guy.

Just kidding, I have one myself and I'm not gay. (sorry, gays... I mean guys) :)

rv6_flyer

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
Chick car

I was told that my New Beetle TDI was a chick car by co-workers when I purchased it in May 2007.

I now have a TDIstickers.com bumper sticker that reads: "50 MPG / Batteries Not Required". I just smile as the Prius' go by (me passing them or them passing me). I live a few miles from the Toyota USA headquarters and smile as I drive by.

I would like to think I am doing my part advertising that the VW TDI diesels get 50 mpg by always driving safely.

Gary
1998 NB TDI 5-speed
230,000+ miles

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
I think it's cool that the Beetle don't have any indication that the car is a diesel. I am thinking to add the "DIESEL" label that is currently on the new Jetta and Passat.

The more I drive the Beetle, the more I feel I made the right choice in buying this car.

I do want to see what my temperature and turbo PSI's are. :(
rv6_flyer said:
I was told that my New Beetle TDI was a chick car by co-workers when I purchased it in May 2007.

I now have a TDIstickers.com bumper sticker that reads: "50 MPG / Batteries Not Required". I just smile as the Prius' go by (me passing them or them passing me). I live a few miles from the Toyota USA headquarters and smile as I drive by.

I would like to think I am doing my part advertising that the VW TDI diesels get 50 mpg by always driving safely.

Gary
1998 NB TDI 5-speed
230,000+ miles

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
DieselDriver2003 said:
snip
I do want to see what my temperature and turbo PSI's are. :(
EASIEST way to get the turbo PSI is with a Scangage- digital readout. Turbo inlet (or outlet) temps are harder. Require thermocouple installation and wiring + a gage. major PITA!:eek:

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 TDI Platinum grey 5 speed
I had some wise guy at work give me a hard time about my beetle one day. he said, "how come you drive a girly car?" My response to him was, "do you get 45 miles to the gallon in your car? Do you make your own fuel and pay only 80 cents a gallon?" His response, "No", My response, "then call it whatever you want I really dont care, bonehead.

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
This is the reason why I want to put that "50 MPG" sticker on. Better yet, I have a hair brain scheme sticker that will beat down ANYONE that makes fun of the Beetle:

www.StopMakingFunOrI'llSootYoFace.com
Hobhancock said:
I had some wise guy at work give me a hard time about my beetle one day. he said, "how come you drive a girly car?" My response to him was, "do you get 45 miles to the gallon in your car? Do you make your own fuel and pay only 80 cents a gallon?" His response, "No", My response, "then call it whatever you want I really dont care, bonehead.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
It is a "cute" car. back when I got my Jetta, a coworker told me "at least you didnt get the bug, thats a chick car for sure" Somehow the old bugs weren't chick cars in peoples eyes. I guess the new one is a little more curvacious maybe?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Of course, I heard the Jetta is very popular with the gay fellas.

But what's the advertisement I hear these days?

"Don't judge me by my Jetta."

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Remember in the mid 90's with the "..yo Cooper!" and "..dah..dah...dah.." commercials? I think those scenarios speaks for itself :rolleyes:
whitedog said:
Of course, I heard the Jetta is very popular with the gay fellas.

But what's the advertisement I hear these days?

"Don't judge me by my Jetta."

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
DieselDriver2003 said:
Remember in the mid 90's with the "..yo Cooper!" and "..dah..dah...dah.." commercials? I think those scenarios speaks for itself :rolleyes:
Nope. I've been TV free for better than 10 years. And until I started looking at the TDI engine, I never paid any VW comercials any attention. Sorry.

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
That's about right for me to, but I found a hole in your statement..

2007 - 10 = 1997. I mentioned that "in mid 90's" so you must have watched those commercials!
whitedog said:
Nope. I've been TV free for better than 10 years. And until I started looking at the TDI engine, I never paid any VW comercials any attention. Sorry.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
DieselDriver2003 said:
That's about right for me to, but I found a hole in your statement..

2007 - 10 = 1997. I mentioned that "in mid 90's" so you must have watched those commercials!
"Better than" = more than.

I haven't kept track, but since I have lived in this house for ten years this week and it was a few years before that the TV died, I guess it's been at least a dozen years. I'd have to ask my Dentist when it was.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Whitedog, I can't argue with you about the Jetta being popular among gay men. I've been the butt of many jokes. Now that I think about it, I was asked the other day about how many dudes wave at me when I drive. :(

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
DieselDriver2003 said:
I think you should rather call Dr. Emitt Brown because of the space-time-continuum issues with the matter (no pun intended).:p
Googles "Dr Emitt Brown"...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
OH. Was that his name? I have always refered to him as Reverend Jim.

(What does a yellow light mean)

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
We all will be meeting with the Man once our time (1.21 Gigawatt is needed here) is up, then you should realize you can call Him any name you wish.
whitedog said:
OH. Was that his name? I have always refered to him as Reverend Jim

Bronco648

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
My mom simply LOVES my car. Honestly, she wanted to trade her '89 BMW 325 iX (that's the old full time 4WD Bimmer) for it. Then, she found out it was a standard tranny....

I do see an awful lot of females driving Beetles but have never been teased about it. Most other Beetle drivers will wave or at least smile (esp. the women). I wonder if the dark color has something to do with it (not being teased). But, having that "it's a diesel and gets 45+ mpg" come-back is enough to keep most folks from poking fun at me. That and I really don't care if they think it's "girlie" or not. It's my car and I love it. Besides, isn't the Cabby the "girlie" VW? :D