Automatic Transmission not shifting

charlie75

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf; 2000 New Beetle (Gone)
Well, it's happened to me! I've done the forum searches and it doesn't look good!

I have a 2000 NB with 135K miles and an automatic transmission.

I have had the numerous small problems that most have. The engine, however, has run flawlessly; 100K timing belt and transmission serviced at 110K by a TDI guru. I have used only VW automatic transmission fluid!

Last night after spending about 1 1/2 hours in DC stop and go traffic, (the chief reason I drive an auto!) I noticed that the AT was not shifting into the top gear. (Top speed 60 mph at 3000 rpm). Got home, restarted the car, test drove it to discover that the AT would not shift into the 3rd or 4th gear. (Top speed 40 mph at 3000 rpm). Also, I now had a "Check Engine Light".

I do not have a Vag-com, but will work this weekend with a friend with a OBD code reader. I'll let you folks know what codes that I find.

Opinions? (I know it's premature without those codes)!

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
P0740...

I get these all the time. Except on my car, it's not that it doesn't go into 4th gear - it's more like the torgue convertor lockout "doesn't". It will still lock with one of these set, but once the 2nd one clicks in - no more lockout.

Rexking414

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
Mine did something like that one time, almost the exact thing, Mine turned out to be the temperature sensor on the engine.

charlie75

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, the verdict is in! Cheated Automatic Transmission death yet again!

IT WAS THE SQUIRRELS!!

These miniature Volkswagen assassins gnawed through the insulation on the wiring going to the speed sensor!

Don't know what the codes were (speed sensor), but the GREAT guys at the AAMCO next to King Volkswagen in Gaithersburg MD found the trouble and fixed it for $102, parts and labor!

I suspect that the "experts" next door would have gone for a complete transmission replacement!

This good news MADE my day!

Capt.Ron

TDI
02 Jetta
charlie75 said:
Well, the verdict is in! Cheated Automatic Transmission death yet again!

IT WAS THE SQUIRRELS!!

These miniature Volkswagen assassins gnawed through the insulation on the wiring going to the speed sensor!

Don't know what the codes were (speed sensor), but the GREAT guys at the AAMCO next to King Volkswagen in Gaithersburg MD found the trouble and fixed it for $102, parts and labor!

I suspect that the "experts" next door would have gone for a complete transmission replacement!

This good news MADE my day!
Does anyone know where the speed sensor is located and how hard it is to get to?
I think mine needs replacing as well.
Check engine light, not shifting right and 2 speed sensor codes.

charlie75

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry I cannot help. I obviously did not do the work here. I expect any of the higher end maintenance manuals would tell you where the speed senor and wiring are located.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Capt. Ron... I would say your problem is going to be contact related... try checking all of your contacts, they do like to corrode.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Capt. Ron,
What are the speed sensor codes?
Are these codes from the Engine control module or the Transmission control module?

looking4tdi

TDI
NB, 2001, Cyber Green
I solved my speed sensor issues by cleaning the ground to the tranny module. Located under the cabin filter. 2001 NB auto

Capt.Ron

TDI
02 Jetta
MOGolf said:
Capt. Ron,
What are the speed sensor codes?
Are these codes from the Engine control module or the Transmission control module?
P0722-Output speed sensor cicuit no signal
P0730- incorrect gear ratio

Capt.Ron

TDI
02 Jetta
looking4tdi said:
I solved my speed sensor issues by cleaning the ground to the tranny module. Located under the cabin filter. 2001 NB auto
Where is the cabin filter?
This isn't my car so I've never looked under the hood on one of these until now.
I see a ground cable under the big cover that is over the top of the engine.

lglamb

Veteran Member
CR,

You can remove that cover plate over the engine, popout covers and 10mm socket, and get your bearings a bit.

The Cabin Filter is inside, I think under passenger side top panel. Center top panel pushes forward and snaps out, then side top panels can be unbolted. (Thinking Beetle, don't remember what model you're working on.)

Everybody be gentle with Capt. Ron. He's visiting over from the Ram Cummins DTR site, and you know how sensitive those guys can be.

:)
Lowell
'01 Ram Cummins
'99 New Beetle TWEETDI

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Where in TX are you?

Capt.Ron

TDI
02 Jetta
alphaseinor said:
Where in TX are you?
About 30 miles south of Dallas.
Update:
I changed out the output speed sensor (VW calls it something else) and it's shifting like it should with no codes or check engine light.

alphaseinor

TDI
Awesome... Glad you got it fixed...

I have relatives that live in Kileen... so if you need some help with anything, just let me know...

Capt.Ron

TDI
02 Jetta
alphaseinor said:
Awesome... Glad you got it fixed...

I have relatives that live in Kileen... so if you need some help with anything, just let me know...
Kewl!!
Thanks for the offer!!
What area of Dallas are you?
After tinkering with the sister in laws car I'm interested in getting one myself some day in the future. I'll probably offer to buy hers when and if she decides to get a new car.
I wonder how much an auto tranny can take when it comes to performance mods and what mods are required for the trans to toughen it up?

Capt.Ron

TDI
02 Jetta
Well It's still shifting fine but the check engine light came back on after a while and I have these codes:
P0118-Engine Coolant Temerature Circiut High Input
P0722-Output Speed sensor Circuit No Signal
P0730- Incorrect Gear Ratio.

alphaseinor

TDI
I'm in N. Dallas, between Richardson, and Addison, but south of Plano...

I still think this is an electrical problem on the "small connector" on the ecu. this is where the engine coolant sensor connector, and the VSS connector are...

there is an additional connector, on top of the transmission near the drivers side that is an additional speed sensor.

sdteb

i had these codes tonight...
p0730 and p0722 p1556

speedo is not working as well now for 2 days...then the codes show up

cleared the codes and it runs again...would not go into overdrive/4th....what the hell now? 5spd swap?

shahid

TDI
2001 Golf
I had the same problem,
Change G68 sensor under battery and transmission housing. other code will go away also.
Here is the part # 01M927321B it is called Transmission out put sensor.

shahid

TDI
2001 Golf
sorry guys after changing G68, i went for test drive and it ran beautiful. parked it and next morning started the car to go to work, but it was not changing gears at all. i have to pull the code tonight to see what is wrong now.

I was getting P0722, P0730 and P0740 codes.
ANY out there can tell me what the heck went wrong.

shahid

TDI
2001 Golf
I am getting P0722, P0730 and P0740, it is having hard time to change gears from 2nd to third and it is not going to over dirve. it changed gears at 3500 4000 RPM.
I changed G68 sensor and went for test drive. it drove fine after parked over nite next day start doing the same thing will pull code again tonight.
any help will be great.