Radio Upgrade

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon 6-speed
If I buy a replacement Monsoon Premium 6 head unit from a used dealer or off of Ebay, what do I have to do to make it work? What kind of codes need to be changed? Has anyone else done this?

Thanks

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
To add Monsoon to a car(and benefit from it) that doesnt already have it, you would also need to add the amp and associated wiring. And the wiring for it is far worse than anything you could possibly imagine. Aftermarket is really your best bet for a stereo upgrade.

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
My Monsoon has crapped out as they apparently do with some regularity. I was hoping to replace it quicker and cheaper than aftermarket with a used HU. Aftermarket however is looking better everyday.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Oh, if thats the case, just find a used monsoon and make sure the seller has the security code for you.

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
I've heard that the security code is the last 4 digits of the radio's serial number. Anybody know if that's true?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
You can usually get the code from the VW dealer if you give them your vehicle VIN# and the HU serial #. I have done it a couple of times. (If they won't, try a different dealer) No one in their right mind would steal one of theses units anymore, they're only worth about $75. If you have a single din and want to convert to a double then you need some adapters and lose the off @ key out.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
Head unit or radio serial number I believe. Should be on a sticker somewhere on the unit. If your stereo is original it shouldn't be that hard to get the code. Mine was on many of the receipts from work done by the original VW dealer. Try asking your local VW dealer.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
loneviking said:
I need to get the radio codes off my radio so I can install a Frost heater. What is a 'HU serial #'?
You need the radio serial # and your vehicle VIN#. Call dealer with this info and request radio code #.
Just curious though-why do you need that to install a Frost heater??

greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI//2005 Passat GLS TDI
Can you advise why I have lost AM reception when I had installed a new ALPINE CDA-9884 radio in my 2001 Jetta TDI. The original radio AM/FM Cassette was removed and the Alpine was installed.

The radio dealer is telling me I now need an AM booster. Is this true?