EBC brake pads - help with part number!

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
Good morning,

Wanted to see if anyone had any experience with EBC Red Stuff Ceramic brakes. I am ready to replace loud squeaky OEM brakes with something better.

Wanted to also find out - was shopping ECS Tuning for brake components and noticed they say front brake pads that fit have a model number DP31517C. Reference on Amazon suggests those do not fit, and instead suggests DP31997C. Size-wise, they look almost identical. 517 part has a semicircular lip on 2 pads, which should fit through the caliper window. Any ideas?

Links:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ebc-parts/front-redstuff-performance-brake-pad-set/dp31517c/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ebc-parts/front-redstuff-performance-brake-pad-set/dp31997c/

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
I put some EBC pads on mine, can't say what they were. I probably pitched the box. I bought them at summit racing when I was driving my car home after I bought it. Got home and found the brakes were in great shape. So probably 5 years after the fact I finally got to put them on. I figured sure as heck with the miles it would have neede brakes.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I have Redstuff pads and slotted rotors F&R on my '14 Passat SEL. Put on around 90k miles, now at 114k. Stock rotors developed warping. Sorry I do not remember vendor or part numbers, all items were purchased online.
I very much like the performance and almost total lack of brake dust. A caution about noise, they will be noisy for several thousand miles or more and then quiet down. In fact I almost considered removing them due to squealing then they went silent. Worth the wait. Good luck, John

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
I went ahead and swapped the front brake part to what manufacturer recommended (DP31997C), especially since Amazon, Autozone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly, and others also suggested this part. I felt that in cases of brake failure and manufacturer warranty claims, I may receive a rejection if I used a part not recommended by EBC.

At first 5 miles, the front brakes were making grinding metal-to-metal sound despite good braking (i.e.: black coating and brake-in coating were being ground), then absolute silence. Even though I am only at 350 miles post change, they are dead silent. Given the rotors are slotted and dimpled, there is a whooshing wind noise when braking at higher speeds, windows open, and good windless weather, but I expected that with these sports rotors. I am still waiting for the brake pads in the front to make the final contact at the lower 1/4 inch - it still has black coating streaks - EBC suggests waiting until the surface is fully silver before doing the final brake-in decelerations. Appears brakes are still settling in.

I didn't really need to change brakes, since they were at more than 50% remaining, but they made an annoying squealing sound, especially when cold. After a few heads were turned to see whose clunker was squealing, I started feeling embarrassment and decided to break down and change brakes. So far, these EBC brakes and rotors look great and are dead silent. But all pads and rotors are brand new, so hopefully they will last as long as the OEMs. It was a pain trying to change rears simply because there is no space to place larger wrench to increase torque.

I will upload some photos in next message. Thanks everyone for the input.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
I went ahead and swapped the front brake part to what manufacturer recommended (DP31997C), especially since Amazon, Autozone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly, and others also suggested this part. I felt that in cases of brake failure and manufacturer warranty claims, I may receive a rejection if I used a part not recommended by EBC.

At first 5 miles, the front brakes were making grinding metal-to-metal sound despite good braking (i.e.: black coating and brake-in coating were being ground), then absolute silence. Even though I am only at 350 miles post change, they are dead silent. Given the rotors are slotted and dimpled, there is a whooshing wind noise when braking at higher speeds, windows open, and good windless weather, but I expected that with these sports rotors. I am still waiting for the brake pads in the front to make the final contact at the lower 1/4 inch - it still has black coating streaks - EBC suggests waiting until the surface is fully silver before doing the final brake-in decelerations. Appears brakes are still settling in.

I didn't really need to change brakes, since they were at more than 50% remaining, but they made an annoying squealing sound, especially when cold. After a few heads were turned to see whose clunker was squealing, I started feeling embarrassment and decided to break down and change brakes. So far, these EBC brakes and rotors look great and are dead silent. But all pads and rotors are brand new, so hopefully they will last as long as the OEMs. It was a pain trying to change rears simply because there is no space to place larger wrench to increase torque.

I will upload some photos in next message. Thanks everyone for the input.
Here they are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk