www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old May 17th, 2009, 10:00   #31
dgetta

TDI(s): 2005 getta

Mr. Lee Taylor. Sometime back you sent me a link for a diagnostic scanner and I lost the info. Could you please tell me again, I think it was a can bus tool for about $350, it's for an 05 TDI that I'm having trouble with. Thank-you,dgetta
dgetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:07   #32
dgetta

TDI(s): 2005 getta
Default dgetta a question for Lee Taylor

Awhile back you sent me a link for a diagnostic tool for my 05 TDI, I think it was a can bus tool for $350 and I lost the info, could you please give me that info again. Do you have to have this tool to reset the computer? Thank-you much.
dgetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 18:50   #33
SoKYTDi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See my signature!
Lightbulb ...and the light came on!

Just goes to show why I'm here. I was stumbling in the dark with my VAG-COM (VCDS now I guess) -- I could do basic stuff but couldn't figure out the logins for changing stuff. Truly, if I weren't so lazy and could think about going to Ross-Tech's site, I wouldn't be here on this forum. Thanks, Derf!

2003 Golf GL TDi -- Lots o' mods and a whole list of dreams..... now in 6 gears!
SoKYTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 18:13   #34
BiobobVO

Fuel Economy: 53 mpg on highway 75

i have a actron 9180 what is the injection pump timing number with this tool engine running at about 900
BiobobVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:43   #35
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiobobVO
i have a actron 9180 what is the injection pump timing number with this tool engine running at about 900
Can your actron put the engine into "Basic settings" to remove the computer-controlled timing advance? Didn't think so...
Old November 20th, 2009, 19:34   #36
NRath

TDI(s): 2000 NB

I need to know which OBD protocols the VCDS will talk to. I've got a couple Jappers and being able to talk to them would help justify the cost of the VCDS. One is PWM, the other is CAN(ISO 9141, I think). Given that one is CAN, I assume I'd have to get HEX-USB+CAN. But, if it won't talk to that one, I could save a hundred by getting the Kii-USB.

I just turn the wrenches...
NRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 04:55   #37
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious

Can this thread be deleted and regrouped to serve it's original purpose (i.e. VAGCOM references/FAQ)? Because as it stands right now it seems to accomplish none of this after the OP. Just a suggestion.
When interviewed about why no diesel for the new F150, Ford responded to effect that diesel makes no sense in the 1/2 ton market. That brilliance should be repeated in every Ram 1500 eco-diesel commercial.

OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1
thebigarniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:22   #38
NRath

TDI(s): 2000 NB

If you're referring to my post, I'd have to believe many people could benefit from knowing what protocols VagCom will read qualifying it as a good FAQ.

I would have to agree that there are many FAQ threads that are full of "thank you's" and what not (much like this post and yours) turning them into 18 page monsters that it takes 2 hours to get through only to find the FAQ you're looking for isn't answered. The info in this forum is incredible- if it's broke, someone's posted how to fix it. Just got to find it. I bet there are a billion posts. A newb like myself would probably have to dedicate a lifetime to get through it all.

Thanks Club members!

I just turn the wrenches...
NRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 15:14   #39
slam
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40

I've been on the forums for a couple hours today trying to wrap my head around VAG-COM and various cheaper alternatives. Can anyone give me a more detailed run-down of the comparison between the cheap eBay cable and the full VAG-COM? I also see cracks on thepiratebay.org, thinking about that.

I need to pull and reseal my IP, and there's no way in hell I can afford the full retail VAGCOM to do this. I can afford the eBay version, cracked version, or else I am going to need to find a local loaner in Humboldt County CA. =(
slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 15:35   #40
Keithuk

Ok guys its my first post on here.

I know its early and I shouldn't need it on a new car but I'm an old scout and I like to be prepared.

Now at work we use Crypton ProScan diagnostic equipment. Under the normal system checks Volkswagen isn't listed for anything. It has an EOBD / OBD II option and VW's are listed in there.

Now I've search eBay and there are many types available as well as full scanners. I have a Vista laptop and most of the software only works on 95 to XP. There are plenty of OBD USB cables showing different types and numbers, some come with the software DVD. I'm assuming its going to be 409.1. Some only show Golfs up to 2004.

The other day I bought ElsaWin 7.0 along with ETKA 7 of eBay. I downloaded ElsaWin 3.6 a while ago but it obviously doesn't cover newer models. I've also downloaded ProScan and PCMSCAN.

Now I need the USB to OBD socket test lead. eBay show quite a few again but can anyone recommend a particular USB lead with good software. Some leads come with software but I'm not sure which is the best.

What do you recon of these OBD2's that can remap the ECU for you?

OBD 1 OBD 2 CAR DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE DVD OBD 1 & 2

OBD 1 OBD2 CAR DIAGNOSTIC ECU Chip Tuning Software

Any suggestions will be greatfully accepted.

Last edited by Keithuk; January 6th, 2011 at 16:39. Reason: Typo
Keithuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 16:17   #41
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithuk
Ok guys its my first post on here.

Any suggestions will be greatfully accepted.
Best suggestion, none of the above. The best thing for ALL VW products is VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System). All of those cheap alternatives are not worth the price. A generic OBDII scanner will only see some of the possible trouble codes - not all of the VW specific codes. If you can afford a new car , you can afford to get the best diagnostic tool (it will do "tricks" that even your dealers testers will not do).

Click here:http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/m...ry_Code=VAGCOM

Welcome

Don
Old February 7th, 2010, 16:33   #42
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithuk

What do you recon of these OBD2's that can remap the ECU for you?

Your profile says that you have a 2010 VW. Unless you are an expert with diesel control systems (specifically the new Bosch EDC17 controller) remapping your own ECU is downright dangerous. The EDC17employs encryption and other goodies that make it very easy to "brick" if you don't know exactly what you are doing. I doubt that these cheap (perhaps bootleg) software packages know anything about your engine. Proceed at your own risk. You would be much better off buying VCDS and leaving ECU tunes up to the experts.

P.S. If you are an expert - have fun - and let us know how it works out.
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:36   #43
Keithuk

Ok thanks for the advice guys. Its a new motor and I was just curious what could be done and read from the ECU.

I still think I will get a USB to OBD2 lead for use in my Vista laptop so I test the software that I have at the moment, ProScan, PCMSCAN and VAG-COM.

Keithuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:55   #44
DetroitDiesel06

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

I have an '06 Jetta TDI and my current OBD2 (usable on all 3 of my '97 Audi A6) reads "ERROR" when scanned. I have an engine indication light light. Is there a newer style OBD2 I need for the '06 vintage or TDI vs. gas?
DetroitDiesel06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:22   #45
NB_TDi

Fuel Economy: Best 56MPG

You need a CAN Bus reader, check out VCDS.

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion, 2014 Jetta 2.0
Everytime you post a picture with PhotoBucket, a TDI gets below 30MPG.
NB_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote