2013 Digital Speedometer More Accurate

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Friends brought by their 2013 TDI SEL today to have me make some VCDS adjustments. Of note, the digital speedometer was much more accurate than the 2012 models. With the 2013 (stock 18" wheels and tires), the digital speedometer consistently read only one MPH higher than actual as shown on portable Garmin Nuvi. So, we ended up just leaving it alone.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
That is good news! I have been using a scan-gauge II for years on my 2006 TDI just to have an accurate speedo. (my ODO is quite close)

Bill

PS, I'll probably keep the SGII when we do finally change cars, I kinda like it!!!

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
You all do realize that GPS is NOT the gold standard since the signals are only accurate to a certain degree by practical realities (hills, elevation changes and terrain) and government security regulations?

They do not want anyone to use a simple GPS device as a guidance system for a weapon and going up and down hills does skew the accuracy.

As many others have said, Drive more worry less.

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
You all do realize that GPS is NOT the gold standard since the signals are only accurate to a certain degree by practical realities (hills, elevation changes and terrain) and government security regulations?

They do not want anyone to use a simple GPS device as a guidance system for a weapon and going up and down hills does skew the accuracy.

What you say was a consideration years ago, but the US Military has elected not to degrade commercial GPS at this time.

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)

What you say was a consideration years ago, but the US Military has elected not to degrade commercial GPS at this time.
In addition, mine is 2 MPH off in both GPS, and on the analog speedometer.

Plus, where I am, there isn't enough elevation change to make a difference! :D