New Battery time...after eight years on this one

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
My walmart battery lasted 92 months. That's excellent imo.

Prices seems to have gone up since then... ;)

I should cheap out since I won't have this car another 6 years, but I probably won't.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
My walmart battery lasted 92 months. That's excellent imo.
Prices seems to have gone up since then... ;)
I should cheap out since I won't have this car another 6 years, but I probably won't.
I always go with a battery from the dealer. Some might laugh but the price is very competitive and they are the correct battery for the car's Ampere Hour rating.
For my 2006 TDI: https://1stvwparts.com/2006-volkswa...nsaxle_standard_5-electrical-battery-9278110/

Why saddle the next owner with garbage especially since you will save very little going with a marginal after market battery?

Last edited:

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Wow, so I compared and went with this battery - partly because I needed to get it TODAY - and this appears to be a good one.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...roup-size-94r-top-post-battery/94rplt/4742704

I went with AGM which costs me about $40 more and totaled $180! yikes. I looked back in my records and the Walmart Excel 94R cost me $77 on Nov 27, 2010. I'll call that some hefty inflation.

Zoom zoom, back in business.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Why saddle the next owner with garbage especially since you will save very little going with a marginal after market battery?
Unless of course it is an Enertec branded battery from the dealer... IMHO that is the real piece of crud now.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
It seem most dealers do not stock MK4 TDI batteries anymore.

If they don't - there are plenty of places you can get something that will work. The "H6" (Group 48 replacement) size should be a good fit for just about any TDI regardless of year.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
I've replaced the battery in my '04 once, about 6 years ago. Original lasted 8 years; the replacement is going strong. Used the dealer-sourced OEM battery. It was the best price. I'll replace with dealer-sourced again in about 2 years as it will be 8 years-old.

My general feeling is that dealers won't be selling crap batteries and they stock the battery spec'd for the vehicle.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Unless of course it is an Enertec branded battery from the dealer... IMHO that is the real piece of crud now.
My last replacement battery was an Entertec dealer battery (about 4 years ago) and it was very competitively price and shows no signs of going FUBAR on me. The Johnson Control batteries are not available any more. Get used to it.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Wow, so I compared and went with this battery - partly because I needed to get it TODAY - and this appears to be a good one.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...roup-size-94r-top-post-battery/94rplt/4742704
I went with AGM which costs me about $40 more and totaled $180! yikes. I looked back in my records and the Walmart Excel 94R cost me $77 on Nov 27, 2010. I'll call that some hefty inflation.
If your TDI didn't come with an AGM battery, an AGM battery is a poor choice because the charging profile for an AGM is different than the flooded cell battery your car came with.

An AGM is overpriced and will fall flat on it's face in a TDI in about 2 years in a cold climate. So, your local VW dealer wasn't open on the day you bought your battery so they could sell you a battery better suited for you TDI for cheaper?

What is the AH (Ampere Hour) rating of the AGM you bought? Oh wait, an American after market battery is not rated in AH, so you have no way of knowing if it meet the AH rating required for your car. I guess going cheap like you implied on a battery means spending more for the wrong battery.

Last edited:

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I agree with ol rattler, I have seen less than desirable results with AGM batteries, even in the cars that come with them. Don't even get me started on talking about Optima hate.

I find the batteries made by East penn to be the best overall aftermarket. Johnson controls (interstate, Costco) lasts ok, but the acid leakage and battery cable and holddown damage is unacceptable.

We use factory batteries whenever possible, especially on the cars you must register the battery to the car, otherwise East Penn.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My last replacement battery was an Entertec dealer battery (about 4 years ago) and it was very competitively price and shows no signs of going FUBAR on me. The Johnson Control batteries are not available any more. Get used to it.
Yeah, I sure miss the Varta batteries. How cold does it get in WA. My Enertec would not start my car in anything below about -10F. Many others in the MI, WI, MN area reported similar problems with theirs.

djrhetoric

Veteran Member
TDI
80 Rabbit pickup MTDI
Vartas still exist. I bought one from a dealer in Milwaukee over the 2017 Christmas holiday. Granted, it's a 95AH from a Touareg, but it has a manufacture date of 2017.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Varta labeled batteries sold by Worldpac and others are actually built by Johnson controls when you access the MSDS for the battery. Bosch labeled batteries are actually manufactured by East Penn when you read the MSDS.

I don't know about now, but VW factory batteries years ago were East Penn.

Nobody ships batteries overseas anymore due to weight and other regulations.

Last edited:

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I find the batteries made by East penn to be the best overall aftermarket. Johnson controls (interstate, Costco) lasts ok
Everybody talks about how there are only a few manufacturers left and when you buy a battery it is either brand X or brand Y with a new label. I get that, however, how can anyone prove that they are made to the same exact specification with the same exact materials? I get it would probably cost some money to alter the quality but can anyone prove that isn't being done?

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I had a long candid talk one time with a man who owns several Batteries plus stores. He told me that all automotive batteries he buys come to him black case and he slaps on the labels. He specs them different to keep in the price point.
The premium batteries with the Batteries plus label were East Penn top line premium.

The one for price comparison shoppers and lesser quality got the Ever Ready stickers.

And he said "of course I keep Exides for the used car lots who don't want to spend one cent more than they have to."

His warranty return rate on the top line batteries was less than 2%.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
His warranty return rate on the top line batteries was less than 2%.
Well, to be fair once they start pro-rating your warranty you may as well just buy a new battery. If it has a 5 year warranty with 2 years free replacment and you return it after year 3 or so years they charge you 75-85% of the cost of a new battery [depending on how long after the pro-ration started] but the warranty will be gone as soon as the 5 years from original purchase date hits.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've had a lot of batteries in 45 years, though I'm not meticulous with yearly maintenance, I do get at once and a while. Never had one last more than a year beyond warranty rating. Always fascinated to read of 10 and 12 year old lead/acid batteries.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It seem most dealers do not stock MK4 TDI batteries anymore.
Mine does. I bought three of them last year. All my family MKIVs but one needed batteries. But IBW getting its third battery in 16 years and 360K miles isn't horrible. And that one was still working. Just cranking slow.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Yeah, I sure miss the Varta batteries. How cold does it get in WA. My Enertec would not start my car in anything below about -10F. Many others in the MI, WI, MN area reported similar problems with theirs.
Doesn't get all that cold here. Quite often in he winter the temps are above freezing so we can actually get by with under rated batteries. Ya, the Entertec's aren't all that are they? At least you can buy them with the AH rating that VW uses.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
I got my car with a new interstate battery, but the interstate book gives the wrong size, only shows smaller automatic, so I traded it for all that was available (used) that would fill my battery tray. Suggested retail value $260!
Part Number MT5-94R/H7
Group Size H7
Cold Cranking Amps 850
Cranking Amps 1000
Reserve Capacity (RC) @ 25 hr 140
Amp Hours (Ah) @ 20 Hr 80
It is an Agm battery that will be 2 years old after this winter, I’ll update if it falls on its face. So far no complaints (with the battery)

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
An AGM is overpriced and will fall flat on it's face in a TDI in about 2 years in a cold climate. So, your local VW dealer wasn't open on the day you bought your battery so they could sell you a battery better suited for you TDI for cheaper?

My AGM battery fell flat on its face in its second winter of cold weather. I just bought a new lead acid replacement mtp 94rh7 for $231.07. I had the AGM draw tested and load tested in 2018. It still appears fine but it won’t last 8 hours in below freezing weather.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I use used batteries, anything will fit when you toss out the battery cover and rely on the upper rad hose to hold it off the engine
Had a 49MF from a sprinter van for a while and that is one BIG thing, 1200 cca and 110 Ah
It "failed" the load test, which is loading it to 600 amps for 10 seconds and looking for at least 9.6V at the end of that, but it held up 500A just fine. Easily twice the battery the stock one was even though it was 'garbage' and therefore cost me the $10 core charge.

group 27, group 65, 24, 24f, 35, 34, they all work. When it is warm out I run a 51R which is about 20lbs.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.

dude, AGM's are BAD in cars. Great for flood lights and boat motors etc... but need to be charged with a SIN wave charger, not some cheep battery tender form china or your alternator in your car that uses step charge.
Most cheep batteries are at autozone or advanced auto, $50 off $100 spent at advanced auto brings a battery you need today down to like $60 bucks.
Return that AGM bro. its no good for you. Please go to some battery forums and read up and dont fall into marking BS that the guy at the store knows NOTHING ABOUT obviously.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
dude, AGM's are BAD in cars. Great for flood lights and boat motors etc... but need to be charged with a SIN wave charger, not some cheep battery tender form china or your alternator in your car that uses step charge.
Most cheep batteries are at autozone or advanced auto, $50 off $100 spent at advanced auto brings a battery you need today down to like $60 bucks.
Return that AGM bro. its no good for you. Please go to some battery forums and read up and dont fall into marking BS that the guy at the store knows NOTHING ABOUT obviously.
Dude, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't say anything. AGM batteries are just lead acid batteries with some fiberglass mat inside. They don't require sine wave chargers, lol. The rectified power from an automotive alternator charges them just swell.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Dude, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't say anything. AGM batteries are just lead acid batteries with some fiberglass mat inside. They don't require sine wave chargers, lol. The rectified power from an automotive alternator charges them just swell.

Earlier in this thread Ol'Rattler made some statements that jibe with Mongler's....... Whenever those two agree, you better take note.
BTW -how long has your AGM been going strong in your car?

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Earlier in this thread Ol'Rattler made some statements that jibe with Mongler's....... Whenever those two agree, you better take note.
BTW -how long has your AGM been going strong in your car?
I've never bought an AGM battery, honestly. My tdi had a Varta flooded cell that lasted the 8 years I owned the car. My current '10 golf 2.5l had it's battery replaced last year with a genuine VW enertec flooded cell. My next car will hopefully have a Li-ion battery- a big one. :)

https://www.autobatteries.com/en-us/battery-technology-types/absorbent-glass-mat-agm-battery

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
they do prefer a limited charge current, which I've only recently started to see implemented in alternator control schemes (and it is stupid)
easy way to tell is if you've got an amp clamp on the negative cable to the battery and your alt only seems to put out 12.8ish volts most of the time

they will survive normal 'dumb alternator' cranking use for a while though, they just don't like a hundred amps of charge because you get bubbles trapped in the mats and that increases current density on the plates even further

mongler's insistance on 'sin waves' is dumb because it's a DC battery, it doesn't care so long as the charge current is reasonable and it doesn't see voltage spikes high enough to flow current clean through the battery.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
they do prefer a limited charge current, which I've only recently started to see implemented in alternator control schemes (and it is stupid)
easy way to tell is if you've got an amp clamp on the negative cable to the battery and your alt only seems to put out 12.8ish volts most of the time
they will survive normal 'dumb alternator' cranking use for a while though, they just don't like a hundred amps of charge because you get bubbles trapped in the mats and that increases current density on the plates even further
mongler's insistance on 'sin waves' is dumb because it's a DC battery, it doesn't care so long as the charge current is reasonable and it doesn't see voltage spikes high enough to flow current clean through the battery.
It's funny how much conflicting information there is about AGM batteries out there. IE: you've got to charge them low and slow, vs. they accept a much higher charging rate than flooded cell. And they handle temp extremes better vs. they handle temp extremes worse. From what I've gleaned they do require slower charging if they have been deeply discharged to below 12 volts. But the automotive variants seem to pretty much be a drop in replacement.
https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/vehicles/on-the-vehicle/electrical-systems/article/10848517/are-agm-batteries-right-for-your-application