Help me please! Stereo upgrade

StylinBill

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I know next to nothing about electrical systems. I do know that I have different setups from previous vehicles that I am going to be disassembling and combing to put one massive setup in my mk6 jetta tdi

I'm have 3, 10" w7's each running off of their own JL 500/1 amp for a total of 1500 amps. I already own these I just need to get them out into one box, as currently they're in two separate setups (one box with one sub and amp, and another box with 2 subs and 2 amps). I'm also going to buy 2 pairs of the jl audio TR650 CSI 6.5" 100 watt component speakers and a jl slash 300/4 amp to power.

My question: will the factory 140 amp alternator and factory battery be enough to power this setup while also running the "average" amount of other electric components ie; heated seats, defrosters, what have you..

If not: can someone please tell me my
Options? Should I upgrade the battery? The alternator and the battery? Can I get away with just a capacitor?

While I'm not made of money, car audio is the only upgrade I ever do to my vehicles and I'm not worried about the cost. I would rather spend the money on the necessary parts up front and pay for a proper installation, and not ever have to worry about it, than to take a guess and install what I think is right, then have problems and have to then buy more accessories and pay for another install...

Thanks for the help in advance.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
I have the stock battery with 1 10 inch JL woofer with a 1000w amp, the problem with VW's is the head units they are crap, and the speakers are not the best, yours should sound awesome...after reading further without a better head unit than stock the your speakers amps don't sound right with it, my stereo guy didn't even upgrade my car speakers because of that, I was ready for a whole set-up, just kept the head unit ran my amp and woofer with stock everything to save money and time replace the whole system, stock battery fine...

Last edited:

StylinBill

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Yeah that's another thing...I don't really know what to do about replacing the head unit. I like the touch screen...I don't wanna lose my gps, and the Sirius interface is easier than most others I've seen...are there touchscreen units that have more power than what the car comes with?

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Yeah that's another thing...I don't really know what to do about replacing the head unit. I like the touch screen...I don't wanna lose my gps, and the Sirius interface is easier than most others I've seen...are there touchscreen units that have more power than what the car comes with?
Exactly why I left mine, my stereo guy told me to save my money and just use my amp and woofer unless I wanted to upgrade the head unit, he was very honest could have put speakers in and got my money, he said the jl audio mids and tweets would sound worse than stock without an upgraded head unit, something about the VW speakers and head unit work together well...

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
My question: will the factory 140 amp alternator and factory battery be enough to power this setup while also running the "average" amount of other electric components ie; heated seats, defrosters, what have you..
Sure, but at what cost?

Big 3, a high output alternator and another battery is going to be the way to go.

You can run the audio with what you have now, but the alternator and battery are going to be toast in short order. They won't be able to keep up if you're tunage usage is moderate to high. And my guess is with 3 10" W7's, you are up there. :D

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I think you'll be fine unless you plan on running those amps at full volume all day long. I had a system running 1200W+ RMS, in an old Rabbit with a 90amp alternator and I never really had issues. Most people like show off for a song or two, then turn the volume down to normal listening levels.

Caps are worthless... get a bigger battery if you actually need it.

-Todd

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
I know next to nothing about electrical systems. I do know that I have different setups from previous vehicles that I am going to be disassembling and combing to put one massive setup in my mk6 jetta tdi

I'm have 3, 10" w7's each running off of their own JL 500/1 amp for a total of 1500 amps. I already own these I just need to get them out into one box, as currently they're in two separate setups (one box with one sub and amp, and another box with 2 subs and 2 amps). I'm also going to buy 2 pairs of the jl audio TR650 CSI 6.5" 100 watt component speakers and a jl slash 300/4 amp to power.

If not: can someone please tell me my
Options? Should I upgrade the battery? The alternator and the battery? Can I get away with just a capacitor?

While I'm not made of money, car audio is the only upgrade I ever do to my vehicles and I'm not worried about the cost. I would rather spend the money on the necessary parts up front and pay for a proper installation, and not ever have to worry about it, than to take a guess and install what I think is right, then have problems and have to then buy more accessories and pay for another install...

Thanks for the help in advance.
ok few things one thing you are going to be running a total of 1800 watts 1500 for your subs and 300 for the rest, bass takes power if you use ohms law I=P/V I being current P=power in watts V=volts so 1800/14.4 volts = 125 amps now 140 amps leaves 15 amps for the rest of the car now granted you are not going to be using that much current all the time but you figure maybe 50 to 70 amps avg now the 140 amps that the alt is rated at is when it's cold and it doesn't take long for it to heat up and it wont be putting out the 140 amps the only place left to get the current is from the battery and that wont last long. That kind of power requires a bigger alt and maybe a 2nd battery. A cap just keeps the voltage up but does nothing for the current, maybe if you could get your hands on a alumapro 50 farad cap that would help (I hear the army uses them to start their hummers don't know if that is true but would be kind of cool)

Just my two cents

StylinBill

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Thanks everyone for your input. Any suggestions as far as a high output alternator? Ive been searching online for them but can't seem to find anything for a jetta.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Thanks everyone for your input. Any suggestions as far as a high output alternator? Ive been searching online for them but can't seem to find anything for a jetta.
When I was into big stereo with lots of watts I found a guy that could rewind a stock alt and get more out of it. Try powermaster I don't know if they are around anymore but you could try them. That's all I can remember off the top of my head, I will talk to some people I used to work with and see if they have any ideas

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
I would at least get a cap and maybe you won't need anything more.
A cap is ok flor a while but the issue you run into is that you are running the alt at it's max output tends to burn it out sooner than later. I remember many times people coming in and *****ing that their alt died on them and we told them that using the factory one is not a good idea. You have to think that the car manufacture being VW or any of them build the car so that the alt has enough power to power the car and very little else. Not a bad idea to upgrade. Oh and upgrade the lead from the battery to the chassis to a bigger gauge. 8 or even 4 will help. Remember that the alt is grounded through that cable. When I was doing this we sometimes would run an 8ga wire from the alt case to the battery just to be sure and the other reason for upgrading the wire from the chassis to the the battery is most times the amps are grounded in the trunk / hatch area most people don't pull a ground to the battery.

again just my two cents

ddixonpd

TDI
2013 jetta
Before i got my jetta I used to run almost the same setup as you did in a Jeep I had two 10 w7 and two 1000/1 and a 450/4 I htought the jeep batt and alt would handle it in a jeep since it has a truck type alt in it nope. safe bet is to get a second batt and you should not run in to problems

StylinBill

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Before i got my jetta I used to run almost the same setup as you did in a Jeep I had two 10 w7 and two 1000/1 and a 450/4 I htought the jeep batt and alt would handle it in a jeep since it has a truck type alt in it nope. safe bet is to get a second batt and you should not run in to problems

How do the 10w7's do with the 1000/1?

I only run the 500/1's because they're $650 speakers and Id hate to blow
One, let alone all three.

HightechRedneck

TDI
00 Jetta, 00 Golf
I'm running currently at 2k RMS in my mk4. 1300 to a single 10. But I'm getting ready to upgrade my battery. Capacitors are useless and are just a bandaid. Run good wires with a good battery and you will be fine.

I have all Memphis audio wires and am getting an xs battery next week.