2015 vs 2016 Touareg TDI

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Hello,
I am thinking of buying Touareg TDI, there 2 that I see for sale would fit my budget. One is 2016 Lux with 65K but it had a front end damage, however it's almost not noticeable if it weren't indicated on Carfax report.
The other is 2015 Executive with 62K, has no accident however, it's all the way in Charleston SC.--I live in CA.
They're priced similarly in the range of 26,500 Dollar.

My question is that are there any drastic changes between 2015 and 2016 models, in terms of exterior look, the front grill, headlight, seats, infotainment systems? Comparing exterior pictures of 2015 and 2016 model years they look identical, but would like to hear from those who have more knowledge on these fine cars.
Thank you

Last edited:

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
They are essentially the same car. I traded my 2012 for a new2016 TDI. They are great cars and the last of the great run of touaregs in NA. I would go for the 2016 Exec, there are some added features in the exec you might like. Mine is a LUX. Someone who has the Exexc can pipe up.

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
tdi54
I assume the 2016 car is in CA? If possible, get the owner to refer you to the body shop that fixed the front end. Review ALL the parts which were replaced and ask a SECOND, trusted body shop to review the damage report and give their opinion about future problems (or not!)

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
The 16 will have vented seats. It's a nice feature for sure. Otherwise I'm unaware of any changes.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Just to be sure the 2016 lux has perforated leather seats,but mine is not air conditioned like the exec are.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Thank you for all of your advices, the car in CA is being sold by Shift.com and they do not have access to the shop did the repair. They told me that I can buy the car and return it in 5 days or 200 miles if I don't like it. I most likely this weekend would buy the car and show it to our local body shop--which mostly repairs cars from VW, Toyota and other dealers-- to see what their opinion would be.

I read the VW press releases for both 2015, 2016 year model Touareg and really could not find much differences between the 2 as far as engine, drivetrain, safety features, technology are considered. I will check if this car has the air conditioned seats, but being 2016 lux, it might not have it?

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Lux and Exec have the vented (none are A/C'd) seats. Sport doesn't.

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Thank you for all of your advices, the car in CA is being sold by Shift.com and they do not have access to the shop did the repair. They told me that I can buy the car and return it in 5 days or 200 miles if I don't like it. I most likely this weekend would buy the car and show it to our local body shop--which mostly repairs cars from VW, Toyota and other dealers-- to see what their opinion would be.

I read the VW press releases for both 2015, 2016 year model Touareg and really could not find much differences between the 2 as far as engine, drivetrain, safety features, technology are considered. I will check if this car has the air conditioned seats, but being 2016 lux, it might not have it?
I think they are blowing smoke about "not have access to the repair shop" They tell you that so they don't have to work so hard. Carfax should be able to figure out who reported it to them and Shift.com has more muscle with carfax than you. Someone (not the owner) entered it in the Carfax database- maybe a dealer, maybe an insurance company it might take some digging, but you (and they) should be able to find it.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
No real difference between 15 and 16 MY. Big difference in the trim levels and available options.