10K service in Bryan, TX

gary4856

Last Monday, I took my 2000 NB TDI to Fred Brown VW in Bryan,TX--having scheduled ahead about 3 weeks in advance. Within 5 minutes of arrival, the technician took the car back to the garage and began work. I sneaked into the garage and watched from a few feet. He first pulled the drain plug and filter. The he began to rotate the tires and install some mud flaps--allowing the oil to drain the entire time. Finally, after re-mounting the tires, he replaced the oil filter and re-installed the drain plug. I had brought my own Delvac so he then added 1 gallon and then actually used a measuring cup I had brought along to add another .5 qt to the crankcase. Finally, another dude washed and vacuumed my car. I was in and out of the place within 1 hour 15 minutes. The name of the service rep is Carla and the tech is Billy. The was the best damn service I have ever experienced from VW I would highly recommend Fred Brown to all you Texas TDI'ers.

What a Long Strange Trip It's Been,
Gary

paschalini

Veteran Member
Hmmm...Bryan is not that far from Seabrook. And besides, my wife is an Aggie. Maybe it's time for a field trip
Gig'em!

BTW: What is the mileage on your NB?

------------------
2000 5spd Atlantic Blue Jetta

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Nice to hear a positive report.

This morning I brought my TDI in for its 10K service. I gave the service writer my special instructions: use my Delvac-1; suck out the oil which will remain after gravity only drainage; give me back the Syntech; drain the water; do NOT retard my tuning--I know about the secret letter; and don't wash the car.

The writer was polite and wrote everything down, but I am sure they hate me.

------------------
Rob
2000 Golf GLS TDI (Wetted ECU, K&N, MAF & lower airbox screens removed, spare Relay 109, euro badge (red "DI"))
2000 Passat GLS Variant 1.8T (K&N)

[This message has been edited by rgoetz (edited June 29, 2000).]

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Mission accomplished (Lewis Motors, S. Burlington, VT).

(Tidbit: Today the dealer gave me 4 quarts of 5w-40 Syntech; at 5K, the dealer gave me 5 quarts of 5w-30 Syntech.)

Jaybird

I wouldn't expect anything less in BCS!
Gig Em'
aTm '96

------------------
Black 2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Royal Purple Racing "21"
960 Miles/Week
48.1 MPG @ 70 MPH

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
RabbitGTI: According to knowledgeable sources (I think it was HowardZ), VWoA sent a letter to the dealers instructing them to retard the timing on TDIs at the 20K servicing, to reduce emissions. The letter also instructed the dealers not to inform customers that they were retarding the timing.

I recall that several people have reported that their TDIs performed worse after servicing, and attributed this to retarded timing.

Is this true? I don't know, but I wasn't taking any chances.