DSG oil change for newbie.

aquaman747

TDI
2005 jetta wagon
Hey guys, newbie here. Got an '05, A4, Jetta wagon with the auto 5spd in it. The car's got about 215k on it and I'm pretty sure the fluid has never been changed. My question is should I change it. It runs perfectly, smooth shifting, no problems. But no oil change for the lifetime of the car bugs the u know what out of me. I'm wondering if I'm going to create more problems by changing it, (which doesn't look easy btw), and wind up with more problems than I started with. Had the car for about 15k, love it but am getting nervous about this tranny. Thanks for the help!

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
You know, I think most people on this site change their DSG fluid at least once or twice. I would go for it personally but I don't own an automatic VW (just an old crappy saturn that slips in third...eesh) so I guess I'm not much help. If the missus gets an auto TDI like she says she wants then I will be changing that fluid periodically. Most autos like their fuild changed somewhere between 100,000 and 150,000 miles in my experience.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I believe you don't have a DSG trans in your car.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
OK....don't even attempt this unless you know what transmission you actually have. I can assure you you DO NOT HAVE A DSG.....

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is NOT a DSG, for sure.

It is a 5-sp 09A Jatco autobox, uses fluid G-052-990-A2, and you can just drain and fill the unit (which is pretty easy). I just measure out what drains out, and put exactly that back in.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
2.5-3 qts. Don't forget the inner drain plug.

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
Ahhh. Ok, then. I just haven't taken the time to learn about all of the autos since I don't have one in the driveway (but if the missus has her way that might happen when we finally replace her dying car)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, and in 2004 we also saw the Audi TT 3.2q (same underpinnings as the R32) that got a DSG as well.