Average Gas Mileage for Newer Golf TDI per tank

NCTDIGuy

TDI
2001 VW Golf Blue
I was wondering what the average mileage per gallon in the CITY other GOLF TDI owners are getting. I am trying to figure out whether i am getting about what i should in the city. I have a 2001 Golf and i am currently getting about 400 miles to a tank. This seems low to me!! Input Please

P.S. THIS IS A TDI GOLF AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

iamstuffed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI Blue Anthracite
What exactly do you mean 400 miles to a tank? 400 miles when the fuel light comes one? Do you vent? Have you calculated your mpg? Different engines, but I get about 45mpg and my golf only has 3k on it. 400 miles just seems crazy low. Even if I don't vent, I get 300 miles for half a tank.

David

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Average GAS mileage per tank should be 0 MPG at all times in a TDI.
(Maybe try DIESEL instead instead of GAS?)

How's the performance? Gutless/sluggish? Check for clogged intake, etc.

Seems kind of low. Are you topping it off all the way or stopping when the fuel pump clicks OFF? Venting and fully topping it off with each fillup is the only way to get consistent MPG numbers.

Welcome to TDIclub. Surf the forums and you'll find a wealth of TDI information plus plenty of people that can help.

~ n1das

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Great comments stuffed!
Try putting in Diesel first, you'll get better mileage!
I suspect they are not venting. Heck, I only get 500-miles per tank but that's with a bad cold-start solenoid (car always thinks it's cold) PP520s and upsolute stage II...
Run a search, there are billions of threads on the subject. Hint* Search only in fuel economy, search for fuel+mileage+tips (put it in just like that) and search for posts older than 1 day.
Cheers,
-BB
PS DOH--N1DAS beat me to the gas comment--takes too long to do some posts....

buckmasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, dark blue
Actually the gas milage should be infinite, since you are burning diesel, you are able to travel x miles / 0 gallons. This limit approaches infinity

alex wetmore

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
How long is your average trip in the city?

With 10-15 mile trips on average (this is low for a TDI) in a hilly city (Seattle) I'm getting about 500-550 miles on a vented tank to the low fuel light. A non-vented tank has about 2.5 gallons less, so is probably closer to what you are seeing. I average about 36-37mpg in these conditions. I run B100 which has about 5-10% lower fuel economy than B20 or 100% diesel.

On long highway trips on diesel (even winter diesel) I get very close to 50 mpg (around 47-49mpg).