www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale

Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale VW TDI/Diesel related items for sale by vendors and Groupbuys. The only commercial posts to these forums are that of Vendors with TDI related equipment. To start a post, you must be a Registered Vendor. You may periodically post a note about products you may have for sale/services so long you indicate clearly you are from the company selling these products/services. The right to discontinue this practice & remove excessive posts remains with the operators of TDIClub. Please note there is also a webpage of TDI Vendors" Group-buys are permited if sponsored by a registered vendor.

Old April 20th, 2011, 11:36   #1
Mark@MaloneTuning

Default Stage 0 Tune Now Available (Natural Aspiration)

The Stage 0 "SDI" tune is designed for VE and PD TDIs without boost (no turbocharger). We have tuned a MK4 Golf ALH without a turbocharger and it surprisingly keeps up with traffic. No smoke according to the rear view mirror!

The tune appeals to any of the following:
  • Industrial applications.
  • Simple engine swaps.
  • Those who want a potentially lower cost alternative to replacing the turbo.

EDC16 PD engines: The fault code / limp mode associated with a deleted PD VNT "smart actuator" is completely eliminated.

A different exhaust manifold is needed after turbo removal. Stock or aftermarket 4-in-1 exhaust headers for 2.0L gas engines will fit the 1.9L TDI. An air intake from a NA VW is also needed.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Last edited by Mark@MaloneTuning; April 20th, 2011 at 18:46.
Mark@MaloneTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 13:00   #2
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Hmm. Could be interesting for people going for max longevity. Doing it right would involve a trans from a 1.8T, to get optimal gearing (code EHA looks about right for gearing), though, IMO.

It'd be interesting to see that on a dyno, and then compare to dyno results from a stock AQM (the factory 1.9 SDI).

(Not interested in it myself, but it's still interesting.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton Sinclair
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 15:30   #3
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

That is an interesting development, and I'd love to hear feedback from someone who has reverted to "SDI" in this manner!

I think the P-D version of SDI had something like 68 horsepower stock, and it's possible to get a bit more by chip-tuning them.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 20:07   #4
WagonTDI

TDI(s): 04 GLS wagon

what do you think would be the mpg change? i'm sure it's take a while to get up to speed, but maybe it would be worth it at the pump?
WagonTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 21:12   #5
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Would it really be any more efficient to accelerate a weaker "SDI" car to speed (more effort) than gingerly accelerating a more powerful TDIl? I'm not sure I understand why anyone would want to do this.

| .M y . S t a g e . 2 . G T I . |
| Facebook | YouTube | Fuelly |
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 21:30   #6
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

I thought I had read that turbochargers cost some amount of power to make power. And isn't fuel supposed to burn more efficiently at a higher load? Perhaps it's possible to advance timing further if there is no boost?

Even if it's not more efficient, I can still see some potential for this modification for anyone with a blown turbo who wants to get back on the road cheap. Good thinking!
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 22:21   #7
Bkcorso
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Golf

hmm, is there anything you can do to make the cruise control react slower to acceleration ?
Old April 21st, 2011, 06:24   #8
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth TDI View Post
Would it really be any more efficient to accelerate a weaker "SDI" car to speed (more effort) than gingerly accelerating a more powerful TDIl? I'm not sure I understand why anyone would want to do this.
Well, the SDI will just have less maximum power than the TDI - it shouldn't overfuel, so it should be about as efficient as a TDI that's accelerating as hard as the SDI is.

(Now, the TDI can accelerate harder. That's the advantage of the TDI.)

The biggest reason to do it has little to do with efficiency, and everything to do with increasing longevity (with no turbo, cylinder pressures are lower, the vanes can't soot up, and the turbo can't blow and dump oil into the intake) and reducing costs if you're an absolute cheapass.

That said, there is a way that an SDI can be more efficient than a TDI. The most efficient modes of operation for the TDI engine are ones in which the turbo can potentially surge, and where the turbo will get sooted up, and therefore those modes of operation are essentially off-limits. An SDI, with no turbo, has no such problems, and therefore is perfectly happy at 1500 RPM.

Quote:
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!
Old April 21st, 2011, 07:32   #9
CGDoig
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 mpg avg, 50 best

Look out smart and electric cars! Wicked idea.
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:37   #10
abctdi
Veteran Member

Weren't the first VW diesels NA and didn't they smoke like crazy?
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra & tint, both raxles. Now only driven 1-2 times per week. 123k miles (sold)

DD is a 2012 Kia Optima SX turbo with 274 hp and 269lb-ft@1,750-4,500rpm
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:42   #11
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

abc- I wouldn't say they smoked 'like crazy' but they did make some smoke. They also had relatively primitive fuel injection systems. Unlike the MK4, those early injection pumps were fully mechanical. The point here is that software tuning can produce clean power without turbocharging in the 1.9 It's wonderful that we have access to this setup for many reasnos, but it's not a big surprise- I believe NA direct injection was a stock option in Europe.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:08   #12
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

They only smoke like crazy when they're not running properly. And, the engine management consists of a bunch of springs, weights, and camplates, that translate RPMs and throttle position into fuel quantity and timing. Note that air isn't take into account.

Quote:
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:28   #13
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

This is fantastic! I fall into the cheap-ass category with interests in longevity and economy. Sounds like a great alternative to replacing a failed turbo. I have replaced two VNT actuators and one N75 valve allready for a combined total of maybe $400 with shipping to Canada. How much would it cost to delete the turbo? Who will be the first to put together a Turbo Delete Kit for the ALH and price to compete with a replacement VNT15? Very interesting.

Also how is the real world fuel economy on this SDI ALH? What does SDI stand for exactly now?
Sprint 520's / RC3 / sweet turbo delete
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://youtube.com/narfblast
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:34   #14
JFettig

Someone should just make cartridge block off plates, leave the turbo manifold there, just take out the cartridge, block it and leave the downpipe there
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:44   #15
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFettig View Post
Someone should just make cartridge block off plates, leave the turbo manifold there, just take out the cartridge, block it and leave the downpipe there
If I have this correct, the cartridge is the center part with the oil feed and the moving parts? This is a great idea!
Sprint 520's / RC3 / sweet turbo delete
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://youtube.com/narfblast
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote