www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 10th, 2013, 16:59   #1
blueavlo

Default Alternator issues

Hi just started having some issues with my alternator/alternator belt/belt pulley.. the alternator light on the car will flash on and off and after driving for a little bit it will eventually go away probably after around two miles. I opened the hood and watched as the light would cycle on and off and there was an obvious sound (similar to a bad bearing) while the light was on and would go away when the light went off.. upon further investigation I noticed that the belt tensioner would move slightly when the sound would go away... any ideas?
blueavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 18:22   #2
mountain-valleymotors

Fuel Economy: 45

Bad alternator pulley. Get it replaced ASAP. If it completely fails it can take out your serpentine belt and if that happens it can get wrapped up around the crankshaft pulley and take out your timing belt. Worst case scenario in that event, is that it will cause your engine to get out of time and pistons will hit valves. Whatever you do, don't wait to fix it.
mountain-valleymotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 19:21   #3
blueavlo

How long should I expect it to last? I have no choice but to drive it to and from work for now before I can fix it?
blueavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 20:09   #4
abctdi
Veteran Member

About one more day...you have been warned.
Check out the part numbers thread for details.
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra & tint, both raxles. Now only driven 1-2 times per week. 123k miles (sold)

DD is a 2012 Kia Optima SX turbo with 274 hp and 269lb-ft@1,750-4,500rpm
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 21:12   #5
mountain-valleymotors

Fuel Economy: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueavlo View Post
How long should I expect it to last? I have no choice but to drive it to and from work for now before I can fix it?
I have no way of predicting. Only that when it completely fails it will most likely be without any warnings other than what you already have. It might last 10 minutes, 10 hours, or 10 days. But probably not 10 weeks and certainly not 10 months. Your local VW dealer should have the part in stock. It isn't that difficult to replace. I think you can find some DIY threads on the site here if you or your mechanic need them.
mountain-valleymotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:22   #6
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Here you go:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=200181

Please do not wait very much longer to get it repaired.
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:34   #7
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

That's how Joe here got his B5 for only $1500! An ignored alternator pulley took out the top of the engine!

I'd not drive that car one foot until it gets fixed.
Old July 11th, 2013, 13:25   #8
Wobbly
Veteran Member

I just had the "alternator workshop" message and battery warning light.
I was going to just get the pulley (about $80 locally), but decided to replace the alternator instead, since the special tool to remove the pulley isn't cheap. Got a new Valeo 120 amp alternator with silver pulley mounted for $260 with free shipping from Buyautopartscom. 12 month warranty.

I tested the old pulley on the original Bosch alternator by holding the alternator fan blades with a wooden stick. It seemed to function correctly. So perhaps the alternator itself was bad. A voltmeter showed that at idle the alternator was putting out 14 volts but every few seconds it would go down to 12 volts.

Last edited by Wobbly; July 12th, 2013 at 08:25.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 08:12   #9
thundershorts
Veteran Member

Its a really good idea to check battery condition as well, a whole system check is wise.
Old July 12th, 2013, 15:07   #10
abctdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post
I tested the old pulley on the original Bosch alternator by holding the alternator fan blades with a wooden stick. It seemed to function correctly. So perhaps the alternator itself was bad. A voltmeter showed that at idle the alternator was putting out 14 volts but every few seconds it would go down to 12 volts.
That test can be deceptive...I thought the same thing and took the alternator and pulley to a shop where the guy spun it by hand and within 2 seconds declared the pulley to be bad and would not even test the alternator. He turned out to right.
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra & tint, both raxles. Now only driven 1-2 times per week. 123k miles (sold)

DD is a 2012 Kia Optima SX turbo with 274 hp and 269lb-ft@1,750-4,500rpm
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote