www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Golf TDI Picture Gallery

Golf TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Golf TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old May 26th, 2013, 16:06   #1
TDI in MT
Veteran Member

Default 2003 Golf with lift kit

Here's what my 2003 Golf GL TDI looks like with a 2 inch (5 cm) lift kit from Metalnerd.

Last edited by TDI in MT; September 24th, 2014 at 23:01. Reason: Deleted pics off of another server, re-uploaded them here.
TDI in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 19:22   #2
shadowhand
Veteran Member

What are you using for struts?
Old May 26th, 2013, 19:58   #3
gaddman
Veteran Member

Love it!
gaddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 20:54   #4
shadowhand
Veteran Member

Looks eerily similar to a Subaru Forester... pretty cool. If I lived just a little bit further in the woods, I'd seriously consider the 1in kit.
Old May 27th, 2013, 01:19   #5
TDI in MT
Veteran Member

Looks-wise, I think I'd prefer the 1" lift, or maybe none. There seems to be too much air between the wheel wells & tires. It looked even more 'rad' when I bought it; the guy I bought it from had 4 studded snow tires on it that were relatively new as well as one size taller and one size wider than OE spec (which is what's on the car in the pic.)

But there is one definite advantage of a 2" lift: easier access. I'm 6'1" and for the past ~13 years my daily driver has been various flavors of Ford E-150 cargo van - you step up to get in! I'm still training myself to get in and out of the Golf.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 20:48   #6
craby1925

Fuel Economy: 45-52

I don't think that's a 2 inch, because I have a 3 inch lift (which you can see in the jetta pics gallery) and it looks way lower than yours. That looks much more like a 4 inch. I know mine is a 3 inch because I made my life kit (machined the blocks that sit under the springs myself) and I swear yours looks taller. But I think if you got some bigger rims and maintained the tire to rim ratio, it would look really awesome. I always love the gold look, and with this forester look yours has, I love it just that much more.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk HD
craby1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 00:43   #7
Holly Money

looks great. this is one of the first things i am going to do to my golf when i get it
Holly Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 13:57   #8
TDI in MT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craby1925 View Post
I don't think that's a 2 inch, because I have a 3 inch lift (which you can see in the jetta pics gallery) and it looks way lower than yours.
Well, the installation instructions that the previous owner gave me say that they're for 1.5 and 2" lift kits. I can't read the handwritten part number on the actual installation sheet & can't find anything equivalent on Metalnerd.com.

In looking at that info though, I did find that it got new Monroe Reflex struts on the front and OEM VW on the rear.

Last edited by TDI in MT; February 2nd, 2014 at 18:48.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 16:40   #9
TDI in MT
Veteran Member

One thing I learned today: when you have a lift kit, your stock vehicle jack is close to the end of it's travel if you don't have a lift kit for your jack!

For me, a piece of 2x4 will probably work.

I didn't have a flat; I just wanted to learn the VW way of doing it, learning in my garage as opposed to the highway.

Unfortunately, I damaged the underside of the car in the process. I put the jack under the left rear door and lifted it up. Then I realized I hadn't broken the torque on the studs, so I lowered it back down. All ok so far.

Two of the studs must have been put on at oh, 200 ft-lbs I'd guess, so I had to set the parking brake. I then freed the studs, and started to jack it up, forgetting to look at the jack again to see if it's still in the steel edge under the car. (It was, but barely, as I would later find out.)

The car came down on the jack after the holder slipped out of the steel edge. As a reward, I now have some 1/4" tears in the plastisol where the car hit the jack. Dented the metal a bit too. With the help of a bottle jack from the van, I was able to raise the car enough to pull the jack out.

Last edited by TDI in MT; June 23rd, 2013 at 16:43.
Old July 4th, 2013, 13:11   #10
vedubbmk6

TDI(s): 2013 golf

You don't see lifted cars in va, props for being outside the box
vedubbmk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 14:44   #11
shaunclark_sc

TDI(s): MK1 Jetta

Hi all,

Probs the only UK reply on this topic.....

I've got a 2000 Golf tdi and want to raise it!! Its not really something thats done over here!

Does anyone have a description of parts or maybe a part list required?

Or even the dimensions of certain things that I could have fabricated?

Thanks in advance guys.............
shaunclark_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 14:47   #12
TDI in MT
Veteran Member

you can get the lift kit here: http://www.metalnerd.com/cat09.htm
Old August 9th, 2013, 14:59   #13
Rhinoracer

I imagine shipping to UK will be expensive, on this thread there's instructions to make your own (you probably want to read all 19 pages though, to get the details.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ight=metalnerd
Rhinoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 15:20   #14
Cogen Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than the Toyota FJCruiser

Me like.
Old August 9th, 2013, 17:04   #15
79TA7.6
Veteran Member

Go to my pictures page and you will find some drawings on how to make your own kit. Sorry, but the dimensions and material used are in imperial.

2003 Jetta 5 Speed 301K miles. Malone stage 3. Titan 502 big hole injectors. VNT17 turbo. BuzzKen 2.5" down pipe. Ventectomy, EGR and cooler delete, Euro Switch, Home made custom HID.
79TA7.6 is offline   Reply With Quote