www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old January 30th, 2013, 12:11   #1
Pods

TDI(s): Passat
Angry 2013 Passat Remote Start

Love my car but the remote start has a short distance range... My wife not happy when everyone in the office she works in has the range to start their cars and she gets into cold car.. Dealer says its working just fine. She refuses to drive it on a cold day because everyone laughs that her car only one in parking lot not started and warmed up. So she drives the Buick enclave to work and it has 3x the range.. Any one else?
Pods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:22   #2
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Oh WoW!

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:34   #3
APT
Veteran Member

Use Onstar to start your Enclave from across the world!

Eh, I don't use the remote start on my car. It wastes fuel. The double start bothers me mentally. The cabin warms up quickly with the auxiliary electric heater when driving. Replace the battery? Try the other remote?

Last edited by APT; January 30th, 2013 at 14:20.
APT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 13:10   #4
kydsid
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

Wouldn't expect any oem remote to have much range, especially anywhere with interference signals. Go aftermarket and get one with range, and imo the even more important feature of two way com so you know the vehicle started. Plus you won't have the ridiculous starter kill when the door opens.

Last edited by kydsid; January 30th, 2013 at 13:17.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 13:31   #5
Moltenburn
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 MPG

Wow what a bunch of pretentious D bags your wife works with. they go as far as laughing at her? I would tell them to fuhk off. Also she wont drive the car because of this? This sounds like a case of princess syndrome.

SOLD: 2010 CW Golf 4dr TDI. 6M, Moon, Cold Weather

Avg MPG
Moltenburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 14:47   #6
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: 130 MPGe

LOL @ princess syndrome.
Old January 30th, 2013, 19:13   #7
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Wow...just wow...parking lots full of cars idling so the driver can get into a warm car...how sad...and smelly...
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
2017 Ford Energi Titanium, purchased 12/15/18
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 21:34   #8
Pods

Default Remote Start purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
Wow...just wow...parking lots full of cars idling so the driver can get into a warm car...how sad...and smelly...
Thats what the remote start option is for isnt it... too warm up the car in cold conditions and not hurt the engine from taking off before oil gets lubrication viscosity?
Old January 30th, 2013, 21:39   #9
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pods View Post
Thats what the remote start option is for isnt it... too warm up the car in cold conditions and not hurt the engine from taking off before oil gets lubrication viscosity?
Start your car and drive off gently.... you won't harm the car and if you are running the right OIL it has the right viscosity....

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 22:19   #10
Pods

Default Decoration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40X40 View Post
Start your car and drive off gently.... you won't harm the car and if you are running the right OIL it has the right viscosity....

Bill
SO the remote start option VW has included in the price is a useless feature? Warming the oil and coolant up sure seems to be a better option to me...but I have been wrong before I guess I could have been taught wrong
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:11   #11
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

IMHO, remote start is a feature for extreme temps only, not for folks in 25-50f temps that will start their cars from their living rooms, eat breakfast, and 20 minutes later go out and drive to work. It has been turned into a luxury item to continue isolating us from the realities of weather.
Enormous waste of resources, increase in (suburban) pollution, useless wear and tear on any IC engine (designed to be operated under load). Even in extreme low temps, better to start and roll, driving gently.
Remote start is an American novelty that is seen everywhere else in the world for what it is: wasteful and completely self-centered, yet another American "entitlement".
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
2017 Ford Energi Titanium, purchased 12/15/18
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 06:01   #12
EJS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta

Quote:
SO the remote start option VW has included in the price is a useless feature? Warming the oil and coolant up sure seems to be a better option to me...but I have been wrong before I guess I could have been taught wrong
First diesel? At idle the CR will warm up by.....oh....say......the 1st of not in this lifetime

The only thing you'll get is the aux heater, which would be the same as if you got in & drove it. Bundle up, crank on the aux heater, turn on the bun warmers...............and stop listening to the d-bags in the office (better yet find another job w/ fewer *sshats)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
IMHO, remote start is a feature for extreme temps only, not for folks in 25-50f temps that will start their cars from their living rooms, eat breakfast, and 20 minutes later go out and drive to work. It has been turned into a luxury item to continue isolating us from the realities of weather.
Enormous waste of resources, increase in (suburban) pollution, useless wear and tear on any IC engine (designed to be operated under load). Even in extreme low temps, better to start and roll, driving gently.
Remote start is an American novelty that is seen everywhere else in the world for what it is: wasteful and completely self-centered, yet another American "entitlement".
Top five posts......ever! Someone carve this in stone

Last edited by EJS; January 31st, 2013 at 06:07.
EJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 07:40   #13
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:

Remote start is a feature that can be detrimental to a diesel, unless you like wetstacking. Diesels are so efficient at idle they don't create heat like a gas model. It's really only good to idle a diesel for short times, and then at a high idle. Start the car, buckle your belt, check your mirrors and ease away!

Quote:
See above!

Yes, the remote start on the Passat is a creature comfort, so it's pretty much worthless. It will not make an appreciable difference in cabin temp or coolant temp. What it does is make people like your wife feel good about the ability to go from a warm/cool office to a warm/cool car...and look cool in the process. It also ruins economy, is one more thing to go wrong in the overall scheme of things and adds cost to the car.

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 07:51   #14
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

Quote:
Yes, it is worthless and added just so they can have a long list of "extras." Pure marketing to a certain demographic that thinks they need a nice, warm car to spare them the trauma of living.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 07:58   #15
kydsid
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast
Not what a bunch of Canadians, Norewegians, Russians and Swedes I know think. Then again people who live north or the 59th parallel think different.

sincerely an ex Alaskan.