www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 21st, 2009, 19:53   #1
CharlieT
Veteran Member

Default Cam wear on BHW

I was hoping to avoid this... but looks like I have a lot more wear on my BHW cam than I originally thought.

Here is the #3 cam lobe, not sure if it is exhaust or intake ? It is the inside lobe on #3 (assuming #1 is front of car, closest to timing belt).

and another view of same...

Hard to see in the pics, but the best I could get.
It has a very sharp edge, chamfer is totally gone, and I can feel a significant flat spot near the tip of the lobe.
Lifter is very hard to see, but I do see some clear wear marks (gauling) in the centers of both #3 lifters that the other lifters do not seem to have.
Pics of lifters were impossible... but will take some once I pull the camshaft.

Looks like I am in for :

1x Camshaft 038109101AF $618.12
8x Lifters 038109309C $22.08 each
8x 038103714A - Rocker Shaft bolt - $4.08 ea
10x 038103714 - Camshaft Bearing Cap bolt - $4.08 ea

So, about $900 all in...

What else should I do while in there ?? TB is new, BS is done.
And anyone have a leads on the two tools I need to remove the camshaft sprocket ?
T10051 and T10052 ?? Found them online for about $80 each.
I cannot see how to get by without the T10051 Counter-hold tool ? Camshaft Sprocket retaining bolt is tightened to 100Nm.

History on this car is 100k miles, with full VW service by previous owner... but very likely with the wrong oil..
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=249795

I have been trying to track down an intermittent hard start, and a rough idle... I think this cam wear may be the cause ?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=257992

But the good news is I got her for only $8500, on the basis that I may have to spend a few bucks..
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=249500

So, $2.5k for BS and now $1k for the cam... I am still only $12000 in and have a car that should run and run....
Old September 21st, 2009, 20:55   #2
Franko6

The sharp edge on the cam lobe is a dead give-a-way.

If you are interested, I'm doing a cam re-engineer for the PD's. Look in the MK5 section.

I put part of the post up(no part pictures are posted yet). Basically, you drill an oil path to the top bearing shell, cut a radial groove in the top bearing shell to provide proper oiling to the camshaft and replace the tty bolts with a set of non-stretch 12.9 high chrome rolled thread rocker shaft and cam cap bolts, torqued to 45 and 22 ft lbs respectively. I hate paying $100 for bolts you throw away every time you look at the cam.
417-232-4634
Franko6tdi@gmail.com

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 21:10   #3
CharlieT
Veteran Member

Frank,

Very interested, thanks !! I will go look.

(Thanks also for giving me some guidance / ideas on the phone for the 1Z head rebuild I had a few months ago... rebuilt it myself, huge sense of accomplishment, works great now !)

Especially interested in the new bolts.. TTY seems a huge waste..

Charlie
Old September 22nd, 2009, 00:05   #4
hid3
Banned

You need a full set of cam bearings too.
hid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 06:35   #5
TDIsyncro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Audi/TDI x 2
Fuel Economy: 50-60mpg HWY, depending on speed and wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko6
The sharp edge on the cam lobe is a dead give-a-way.

If you are interested, I'm doing a cam re-engineer for the PD's. Look in the MK5 section.

I put part of the post up(no part pictures are posted yet). Basically, you drill an oil path to the top bearing shell, cut a radial groove in the top bearing shell to provide proper oiling to the camshaft and replace the tty bolts with a set of non-stretch 12.9 high chrome rolled thread rocker shaft and cam cap bolts, torqued to 45 and 22 ft lbs respectively. I hate paying $100 for bolts you throw away every time you look at the cam.
I followed this procedure this past weekend. It went well. I used a dremel and diamond bit for the groove in the bearing shells. Had one hairy moment when the drill bit tip broke inside a hole..but got it out after an hour of trying. lol I will check on things in a couple months just to see how it's all working.

I like the bolt change out idea. I would of done that too had I thought of it in advance. Next time. What a waste of money in bolts!

As for bearings, I just replaced bottom shells. Top shells were in new condition.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=415533
TDIsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote