www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old July 15th, 2009, 06:47   #1
g60vwt

Default Lots of mods... not that fast

My AHU has the following mods:

>Hybrid K03/04
>PP 520 nozzles
>RC 3+ chip
>Ported/polished head
>Match ported intake manifold
>ARP studs
>3" exhaust
>Front mount intercooler

The issue is - It just doesnt seem that fast. It does go and pulls good but I feel like it should be pulling the wheel away from me like my Corrado does.

Is there a test or measuing blocks I can log so I could get some feedback?

Thanks!
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:52   #2
cog
Veteran Member

i suppose you might start with boost 011 code on vagcom . dont know what that turbo,s max sustained boost should be but first thing id check is if you arnt losing any pressure anywhere .
Formerly GT-TDI 110 AHF VNT 17VB[/B],@24psi ,,R520s,ported head,11mm pump,arp,headstuds,eurojet smic,id parts upgraded pipes,SBC[B] stage 3, pd150 manifold, custom silicone t.i.p 2.5"downpipe and cat delete,racepipe,,pd lift pump
cog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:59   #3
onlyn8v
Veteran Member

sorry, I posted under a old username.

The car shows about 22 psi spike. Settles at about 19

My EGTs pretrubo show about 10-1200 F
98 Jetta TDI 5 speed 249k+ (Red) RC3+, Ventectomy, tint, leather interior, Porsche wheels, DRL-less, ported / polished head with matched intake manifold,3" catless exhaust, 2.5" downpipe, PP520, hybrid turbo, FMIC, smoked e-codes, badgeless grille, H&R cup kit
04 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 33K Blue 4" Fabtech lift, MT wheels, 33",Borla, sliders, snorkle, 15mpg
...Other crap Im parting
onlyn8v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:04   #4
Antsrcool

i would think 22-25 sustained should be about right boost seems low
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:48   #5
onlyn8v
Veteran Member

It makes whatever the ECU calls for now. i dont have a bosst controller on it
98 Jetta TDI 5 speed 249k+ (Red) RC3+, Ventectomy, tint, leather interior, Porsche wheels, DRL-less, ported / polished head with matched intake manifold,3" catless exhaust, 2.5" downpipe, PP520, hybrid turbo, FMIC, smoked e-codes, badgeless grille, H&R cup kit
04 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 33K Blue 4" Fabtech lift, MT wheels, 33",Borla, sliders, snorkle, 15mpg
...Other crap Im parting
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:05   #6
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

EGTs are too low. Should be able to hit 1500*F with a good 3rd gear pull, 4th too.

What engine is in the corrado?
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:19   #7
G60ING
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Fout
EGTs are too low. Should be able to hit 1500*F with a good 3rd gear pull, 4th too.

What engine is in the corrado?
Judging for the screen name and sig I would say a G60 drivetrain with a turbo conversion which depending on the turbo, headwork and fueling is good for roughly 180-230 whp with 150-210 wtq.

I drive a TDI Corrado and I can tell you that the Mk3 is a heavier car that is nowhere near as much fun to drive as the corrado. I suggest you yank the g60 drivetrain out and swap in your TDI setup. You will then think it rips very nicely. I just finished a mk3 TDI Golf and it has nozzels, larger IP pump, 2.5" exhaust and it was not as fast as my corrado that only has nozzels, intake manifold, IC pipes, 2.25" exhaust and a fuel pump.
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:04   #8
onlyn8v
Veteran Member

I remember that Jeff would tell people to log 2 measuring blocks to get a better idea of what to change in the chip. I need to call him to get his expert opinion.

Dont get me wrong, the car is quick. Its not blazing fast, but it moves. I just can't help but thinking all that smoke is wasted power.
...Other crap Im parting
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:14   #9
shizzler
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05 BEW Wagon
Fuel Economy: mid 40s

Yeah if your EGTs are that low, sounds like you're underfueling. Guessing you have no visible smoke under WOT?

Wait a sec, you say "all that smoke is wasted power"? So you have lots of smoke and under 1200 EGTs? Doesn't add up.
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:43   #10
mojogoes
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk3 tdi golf
Fuel Economy: not much

I totally agree with Shizzler! you need some PP764's and a good tune to bring that sucker / blower alive
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:12   #11
onlyn8v
Veteran Member

Im running PP520s and Im making some good amounts of smoke. Doesnt overfueling cause low EGTs?
...Other crap Im parting
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:22   #12
cog
Veteran Member

yep thats your problem small nozzles i missed that in your list of mods . you have allot more air going through but not enough fuel to burn it . pp 764 or race 520s then you will not need to upgrade again.
i,ll be running a bigger 17 turbo with pp520s which will run well but im under no illusiuons that the pp764s will unleash more of the full potential when i get the cash
Formerly GT-TDI 110 AHF VNT 17VB[/B],@24psi ,,R520s,ported head,11mm pump,arp,headstuds,eurojet smic,id parts upgraded pipes,SBC[B] stage 3, pd150 manifold, custom silicone t.i.p 2.5"downpipe and cat delete,racepipe,,pd lift pump
cog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:26   #13
mojogoes
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk3 tdi golf
Fuel Economy: not much

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyn8v
Im running PP520s and Im making some good amounts of smoke. Doesnt overfueling cause low EGTs?
Ok!! how much boost pressure are you running / power torque produced and which tune do you have cheers.
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:39   #14
Rickstah
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/45/41

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyn8v
You should get some pass numbers to judge how "fast" you are going. When I first put in a modded chip in mine, I shaved off a couple seconds...then, after I added larger nozzles and the hybrid turbo and the rc3 chip, I gained some boost (though still trying to get those last couple pounds expected). I haven't timed my 0-60 since, but I think I can get better than the 7.5 second with just the chip. My rolling torque definitely increased, and I did a dyno that showed large torque gains but horsepower not as much, etc. I make a lot of smoke...still need to track down why exactly.

I'd like to get my head redone given how gunked up it was when I looked in it some years ago, not sure how much faster that would make me, but definitely more efficiently burning fuel I'd think.

Get a camera, tape your runs...find a favorite turnpike entrance, pull over and find an empty space, then run her to 70 or wherever...fun fun.

Last edited by Rickstah; July 15th, 2009 at 12:45.
Rickstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:49   #15
onlyn8v
Veteran Member

The mods are (Im the OP)
>Hybrid K03/04
>PP 520 nozzles
>RC 3+ chip
>Ported/polished head
>Match ported intake manifold
>ARP studs
>3" exhaust
>Front mount intercooler

I get spikes to 22 psi and settle at 19

It smokes considerably but it seems to me to be more of a sand colored smoke and not thick black. The turbo is BRAND NEW and all the mods listed are all newer than 5k miles.

To me- it would seem that I would get alot of smoke if there is too much fuel. Too much boost would make the smoke disappear wouldnt it?
...Other crap Im parting