Question about the new warranty..

Reed067

TDI
12 Sportwagon
So it’s no secret that VW has offered a fix and a warranty with their diesels.
As I posted in another part of the forum I’m looking at one that has 90K on it and it has the fix. With the car in question being a 2013 Golf and having the mileage on it, is the warranty still good?
Or does it depend on when the fix was done? I’m guessing that it’s only covered for another 40K...?. Just trying to do all the research I can before I make the plunge is all. Would hate to buy said car and found out that there’s only a year left on the warranty.

“Post emissions modified vehicles get a 10 year / 120,000-mile warranty (from in-service date). If longer, (depending on the age of the vehicle) it’ll get 4 year/48,000 mile emissions warranty.”

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Part of it is depending on when the fix was done. You have the greater of the two time frames/mileages listed above. In your case, however, it will be the 4 yr/48k miles. That will give you coverage through 138k miles on the car. You still need to find out when the fix was done so you know what's left for time.

Is this a dealer turn in fix or a private party fix? That might make a difference on when the clock started ticking.

Reed067

TDI
12 Sportwagon
Part of it is depending on when the fix was done. You have the greater of the two time frames/mileages listed above. In your case, however, it will be the 4 yr/48k miles. That will give you coverage through 138k miles on the car. You still need to find out when the fix was done so you know what's left for time.

Is this a dealer turn in fix or a private party fix? That might make a difference on when the clock started ticking.

It’s a dealer but he has no idea that the car has the fix. I still plan to go check it out in more detail soon.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
there should be a sticker under the hood showing what fix was done and when. If not take the vin number and go to any VW dealer and have them check it out. IIRC there is an online as well but the last time I checked it it was pretty devoid of info. The VW dealer will know when the fix was done and what was done.

Reed067

TDI
12 Sportwagon
there should be a sticker under the hood showing what fix was done and when. If not take the vin number and go to any VW dealer and have them check it out. IIRC there is an online as well but the last time I checked it it was pretty devoid of info. The VW dealer will know when the fix was done and what was done.

I did the check online but it didn’t say WHEN it was done but I’ll do just that.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
When you put the vin number into the online 'checker' that vw provides it will tell you what mileage and or what date the emissions warranty is good til.

Reed067

TDI
12 Sportwagon
When you put the vin number into the online 'checker' that vw provides it will tell you what mileage and or what date the emissions warranty is good til.

You’re correct in my haste I missed that

“In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years or 48,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Feb 13, 2018 and 90,345 miles.

So the car has 200 miles on it since the works been done, give or take. �� and there’s roughly three years left on the warranty.

Last edited: