www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old March 8th, 2015, 14:06   #1
thecause17
Veteran Member

Default DSG Leak at Electrical Connector

When I did my last oil change I noticed my car was leaking DSG fluid. After searching on here it seemed likely to be the filter o-ring so I went ahead and ordered one. I went to change it today and after removing the airbox it was apparent that wasn't the culprit. Here's a pic of where the fluid looks to be leaking from:

I cant figure out how to disconnect this connector. Can someone tell me how you do it? I'm not sure if I can even get the seal that's in that plug.
Old March 8th, 2015, 14:36   #2
JFettig

hear of it, haven't seen it.

The tab on the right side of the round connector, rotate it to the left about 90 degrees.
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 14:56   #3
thecause17
Veteran Member

Yeah, I tried that, but it didn't want to give, and I didn't want to snap it off. It almost looks like it's not even in there straight, but I don't see how this type of plug would even allow that to happen.

As far as I know it's the connector for the mechatronic unit, and I can't seem to find where you can get the o-rings or connector separately. Can anyone confirm this?
Old March 9th, 2015, 11:34   #4
thecause17
Veteran Member

Bump, doesn't anyone know if just this connector and/or o-rings are available?
Old March 11th, 2015, 04:54   #5
wrenchman30
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 best befor egr much better now

whatever you do do not use silicone, use anerobic sealer, it appears to be a oil leak thru the plug and wiring not from around the wiring harness, have you recently serviced the transmission the vent is right there and if you overfilled it could blow out oil, clean the connector and recheck it later. If the wiring harness is passing oil thru the connector there isn't much to do but replace the harness inside the tranny. the sealer would be used around the oring at the mounting area not inside the harness where the wiring terminals are.
wrenchman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:00   #6
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The connector's seal is UNDER the M-unit cover, so stop messing around, you won't get to it easy.

Chances are, the vent may have seeped a little out, especially if the box was a bit overfilled.

I'd clean it all off, and see if it comes back in any short amount of time. I'm betting it won't. I'm betting what you are seeing in that pic is 150k+ miles of minor seepage, nothing I'd be too concerned with. Certainly not enough to dive into taking the front of the car off and pulling the M-unit cover off (which also has a seal that would need to be replaced).

If you like, wait until your DMF fails (it will, eventually) and you have to pull the trans out. THEN the M-unit cover will be super easy to reseal.
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:39   #7
thecause17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post

I'd clean it all off, and see if it comes back in any short amount of time. I'm betting it won't. I'm betting what you are seeing in that pic is 150k+ miles of minor seepage, nothing I'd be too concerned with. Certainly not enough to dive into taking the front of the car off and pulling the M-unit cover off (which also has a seal that would need to be replaced).
I will clean it off and see what happens. The car has 70k miles and everything has been bone dry up to this point. The DSG was serviced by the dealer about 20k miles ago and I've never seen anything in the last couple oil changes before this. To me it seems to be a little more than seepage, since the belly pan is wet, but I will clean it up and see where it goes from there.
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:44   #8
oilhammer

I'd check the level, too. It may simply be a bit overfilled and pushing out the vent once it gets warm enough.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 04:04   #9
JimmyFnB

I have a similar issue with my 2009 Sportwagen TDI, but I believe it is also causing a communication issue between the TCM and ECM. Usually, this happens at highway speed. The traction control light comes on, and the engine revs up, as if I had shifted to neutral, but the PRNDS indicator on the MFD disappears as well. I generally solve it by shifting into Neutral and restarting until the communication is restored. After it occurs twice, the MIL comes on and a code of U0101 is stored. The MIL goes out if I have a few successful drives.

The problem started last October, a week or two after I had the 120k service done including the DSG service at the dealer. I brought it back and they said they found corrosion on the grounds to the TCM. They cleaned off $200 worth of corrosion, and the problem seemed to go away for a month or two. It started happening again early this year, and I did a little looking myself. I noticed that there was fluid in the connector on the transmission below the airbox. I cleaned it out, and the problem went away for another month or two, now it is back, and there is indeed more fluid in the connector (see pictures). It seems like the fluid is pushing into the connector from inside the transmission. I am now at about 135k.

Has anyone had a similar issue in connection to a fluid leak at this harness? Am I in for a new mechatronic or just replacing a seal? Is this an overfilling issue?

Thanks,
Jim
JimmyFnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 05:55   #10
oilhammer

If ATF is getting INTO the connector, chances are that there is a breach in the pins in the connector itself in the transmission, which is, unfortunately, part of the M-unit itself.

If the seal under the cover leaked, it would most likely just manifest itself as a small external leak, but would be unlikely to actually get into the connector itself.

However, ATF is non-conductive, so that in itself should not cause any electrical problems. Much of the transmission's internal wiring is all exposed to ATF.

I would want to see what DTC(s) came from this event that were stored in the M-unit. Since cleaning this connector does seem to help your problem for a while, though, it would suggest that the problem does indeed lay in this area.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 12:05   #11
JimmyFnB

The only DTC I've gotten is U0101. Unfortunately, I don't have a means to read DTCs from the Mechatronic unit.

I took a few pics, similar angle to thecause17's, but with the connector unplugged and you can see the fluid in the port. The fluid in the connector looks fairly clean, so I assume it is leaking into the connector from inside the trans. I assume I need more posts before I can attach pics.

I understand your comment on ATF being non-conductive, but if that is the case and it gets between the pins of the connector, that means the pins may not make contact or make intermittent contact.

Cleaning the fluid out seemed to help for a few weeks to a month when I did it back in January. I cleaned it again yesterday, and on a short drive today had no issue (versus multiple occurrences yesterday and earlier this week).

Last edited by JimmyFnB; April 24th, 2015 at 08:09.
Old April 24th, 2015, 09:09   #12
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Did you have the recall done for the DSG temperature sensor?
Old April 24th, 2015, 12:09   #13
JimmyFnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTDI09 View Post
Did you have the recall done for the DSG temperature sensor?
As I remember, my VIN was not a part of it. I have read some posts about it and some of the symptoms are extremely similar. I bought my 2009 in July/August 2009, so I'd have to check the build date, but it is clearly before August 2009 (and probably well before as I know it was at the dealer for a while). I've seen varying information online as to what dates the temp sensor recall applied to, NHTSA says 9/2008 to 8/2009 but other sites seem to say it was more limited.

From the VW site, there is one open Service campaign, 2306 for an ECM upgrade related to emissions. Not sure if that site would list everything that ever applied to the car or just current.
Old April 26th, 2015, 08:19   #14
BuzzKen

This leak is not around the connector(oring seal), it is bleeding out throught the pins. I have seen this twice and without disassembling the mechatronics unit myself, I'm not sure what/if the fix would be.
BuzzKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 11:02   #15
Krash

I appear to have the same problem with oil leaking out of the electrical connector. Noticed it at my 90K oil change, I have cleaned it it up twice and it appears to be getting worse at 93K now.

Wondering if anyone has had this issue repaired? If so what did it require? Can it be resealed or did it require a complete Mechatronics module replacement?

Thank you

K.

Last edited by Krash; May 28th, 2015 at 21:01.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote