Diesel additive use ?

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Greetings,

For those of you that use diesel additives (Redline, Bardahl, Dr. Diesel, etc.), when did your first start using it, right from the beginning? After 1K miles? 5K? 10K?
Thanks for sharing any insight.

Norman

chance

Veteran Member
from day 1 because it was late in november when i purchased the jetta tdi.
it was cold and it was my first diesel and didn't want the fuel to gell. i later found out about winterized fuel. ihave used power service additive fo almost 2 years.

WOOCHOW

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Unlike the others in this forum, I was stupid enough to believe my dealer's service manager when he said that additives were not necessary and that I could use any 5w-30 oil in my Jetta. When I finally did some research and learned about the fuel lubricity issue and the cost of a new injection pump and the problem of soot dispersal in emission controlled diesels, I went to my friends at Red Line oils for their ideas. They have a great product in the Diesel fuel catalyst, and whn it gets real cold, RL Antigel.
Their lubricants are excellent also, but I find Delvac 1 to be a better deal. I use Water Wetter in the coolant and will use MTL in my transmission when I change the fluid at 50,000.

My advice; go to your local Pep Boys, buy 5 or 6 bottles of Red Line Diesel Fuel Catalyst and begin using it now!

M

mickey

I started tinkering with them right away. Six months later I've pretty much settled on Chevron DieselMotive as an upper cylinder cleaner/fuel pump lubricant. I'll probably also add some pour point modifier during the cold months.

-mickey

Switca

I've been using Red Line diesel catalyst since tank number 2. That was 8500 mils ago. As long as 'they' keep taking the sulfer out, I'll keep putting diesel catalyst in.

That $4.99 bottle lasts quite a while at 2 oz. every 8-9 days.

[This message has been edited by Switca (edited September 06, 1999).]

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Switca,

Can you comment on RL Diesel Fuel Catalyst vs RL 85 Plus? In some stores, the 85+ costs a bit more (~$.50), and in others they're the same price. The ND catalog recommends 85+ because it's supposed to be better for the catalytic converter. OTOH, lots of folks at Fred's use Diesel Fuel Catalyst. One thing's for sure though, there certainly are more than enough choices out there (for a diesel neophyte).

WOOCHOW

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
According to Redline, the Diesel Fuel Catalyst and the 85+ are the same product. They used to be different but when it was shown that DFC may harm Mercedes Trap Oxydiser (or something like that) the formulation was changed so that both products are now the same.
The only difference I have seen is that the 85+ is available in a winterized formula-I have not seen winterized DFC.

Contact www.redline.com for more details.

[This message has been edited by WOOCHOW (edited September 07, 1999).]