2009 Jetta TDI and remote start

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Racktacular said:
Thanks or the responses guys. I guess I was wanting a remote start so I'm not getting into a freezing cold car and to melt the ice on the windshield. If I got a remote start just so the inside heater will come on and the window(s) will defrost, will that be detrimental to the car? I know the engine won't be warmed up but that is okay with me.

Does anyone see a problem with a remote start and the above usage?

Thanks.

- Rack
Since the OP really wants something to warm his cabin why not get a cabin heater? Just haul a little ceramic heater out and run a cord to it.

MBoni

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
newbury said:
Since the OP really wants something to warm his cabin why not get a cabin heater? Just haul a little ceramic heater out and run a cord to it.
I was just about to suggest this. A small 1500w space-heater sitting in the footwell will easily bring the cabin & window temps up, without causing any issues with the engine. Add a timer and an extension cord, and start it 20 minutes before you want to drive off.

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
velociT said:
Last I heard, Frostheater was looking for a 09 to do R&D on.
Unless someone is living way north, there should be no reason to install frostheater on 09 TDI; they have an electric auxiliary heater so warm air is available within few seconds.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
pawel said:
Unless someone is living way north, there should be no reason to install frostheater on 09 TDI; they have an electric auxiliary heater so warm air is available within few seconds.
There's been a discussion in another thread about an auxiliary heater possibly being included in our 09's... and I'll admit, mine DOES produce heat LONG before the temp guage has began to move.

however, no one has been able to confirm that the car indeed DOES have an aux heater... you would THINK the owners manual would mention this as, in my opinion, this would be a major selling point.

What was your source to KNOW whether or not this is true?

Wes

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
wesk1954 said:
There's been a discussion in another thread about an auxiliary heater possibly being included in our 09's... and I'll admit, mine DOES produce heat LONG before the temp guage has began to move.

however, no one has been able to confirm that the car indeed DOES have an aux heater... you would THINK the owners manual would mention this as, in my opinion, this would be a major selling point.

What was your source to KNOW whether or not this is true?

Wes
The source of information: if the car is producing heat out of the vents within a minute of startup, then it has an auxiliary heater. I miss that rear heater in the old Landcruiser. Industrial quality melt your boots to your toes heat.

OP, if one minute is too long to wait for heat, then put in a remote starter or Webasto, or a Frostheater if there is a plug-in. Your choice. It's a free country.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
My car sat outside in cold weather 20's with lots of ice last night for over 12 hours. This morning i started, and within 2 minutes I could feel warm (not hot, but warmer than the air for sure) coming out of the vents. I'm convinced there's an aux heater of some type... yet another reason to LOVE THIS CAR!!!!

Wes

MBoni

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
wesk1954 said:
My car sat outside in cold weather 20's with lots of ice last night for over 12 hours. This morning i started, and within 2 minutes I could feel warm (not hot, but warmer than the air for sure) coming out of the vents. I'm convinced there's an aux heater of some type...
Just an observation: the temp gauge bottoms out at 120 degrees. But you may be able to notice 'warmer' air from the vents as soon as it's above cabin temperature, which may mean mid 30s in this case.

I'm not convinced that this implied an aux heater, just that we can feel some warmth in a system that is still below 120 degrees.

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
MBoni said:
Just an observation: the temp gauge bottoms out at 120 degrees. But you may be able to notice 'warmer' air from the vents as soon as it's above cabin temperature, which may mean mid 30s in this case.

I'm not convinced that this implied an aux heater, just that we can feel some warmth in a system that is still below 120 degrees.
I normally start feeling warm air out of the vents when the water temp gets to ninety degrees according to my scan gauge.

From what others have posted, the AUX heater seems to blow warm air immediately.

Looking through VCDS under central conv. I though I remember seeing something in the coding about an aux heater installed. Mine wasn't check, if i get around to it I am going to try and check this box and see if I get warmer air sooner.

There is also an ouput test you can do under the aux. heater section in VCDS, however when I did this, I noticed wattages changed, but I did not feel any different temp air coming out. But I was also doing when the car was warm.

Will do somemore playing with it and report back later.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Airwolf, look in your fuse box (under the hood, drivers side). Vehicles with aux heating have a 100A fuse in there. Its a black cube about the size of a dice (I know, I know, the singular of 'dice' is 'die') with "100A" on it; ya can't miss it.

Barrie guy

TDI
2006 New Beatle conv & 2011 Jetta TDI DSG
Remote start

I have a remote start installed on my diesel pick up that works great, it has a 10 sec delay for the glow plugs with a 3 sec crank time.

MBoni

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
DoctorDawg said:
Airwolf, look in your fuse box (under the hood, drivers side). Vehicles with aux heating have a 100A fuse in there. Its a black cube about the size of a dice (I know, I know, the singular of 'dice' is 'die') with "100A" on it; ya can't miss it.
My 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI has a big honkin 100A fuse. Looks like aux heat is confirmed.

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Putting a remote start on a car with manual transmission is a royal pain and quite expensive. I have it in the Honda, if you want the remote start to work you have to go through a little song and dance during shutdown:
- apply brake,
- wiggle shifter in neutral gate,
- pull e-brake,
- wait for relay click,
- push green button on remote,
- wait for headlight flashing with relay click,
- take key out of ignition, get out of car,
- lock car with remote).

If you don't do these steps in exactly that order, it won't start (everything designed to keep the car from driving off with a kid inside or running down some pedestrians while in gear without the e-brake on).

Nothing like getting into a cold-soaked car. Left the jetta at the airport for a couple of days. 10deg when I got in. First 30seconds sounded like something was being ground up inside and the DSG kept binding and working against its 'P' stop.

DieselJeff

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta 6MT & '11 Jetta DSG
Astrostart gets you this:

apply brake
shifter in neutral
apply e brake
remove ignition key, car stays running
get out of car
car shuts off upon last door closing

Which is how you exit a car anyhow, with the exception of parking in a gear.

10then34 said:
Putting a remote start on a car with manual transmission is a royal pain and quite expensive. I have it in the Honda, if you want the remote start to work you have to go through a little song and dance during shutdown:
- apply brake,
- wiggle shifter in neutral gate,
- pull e-brake,
- wait for relay click,
- push green button on remote,
- wait for headlight flashing with relay click,
- take key out of ignition, get out of car,
- lock car with remote).

If you don't do these steps in exactly that order, it won't start (everything designed to keep the car from driving off with a kid inside or running down some pedestrians while in gear without the e-brake on).

Nothing like getting into a cold-soaked car. Left the jetta at the airport for a couple of days. 10deg when I got in. First 30seconds sounded like something was being ground up inside and the DSG kept binding and working against its 'P' stop.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
took this off the break in procedure

Rules that apply for the life of the car
-When the engine is cold (below the first 3 white marks at the base of the temp gage) rev the engine to at least 2,500 rpms.
-When the engine is warmed up (above the first three white marks) Rev the engine to no less than 3,000 rpms.
The reason for this is to keep the turbo on boost, clear the VNT guide vanes and apply firm pressure to the rings for optimal sealing against blow-by gasses. The rings need the boost to seal since its a turbo charged engine, babying the engine is detrimental and will lead to issues with compression if done so for very long.

rotorhead23

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Highline 6 Spd Manual
I had a 2006 Jetta TDI with DSG and in the winter you cannot drive it right away. The DSG transmission shifts (if at all) very hard when it's even -10 C. So I would remote start it and let the oil warm in the tranny for 5 min. then drive it. It works great. I had an ULTRASTART put in. It cost about $800.00 Can. and I never had a problem with it. It does everything , warms the glow plugs, opens the doors, etc. Had it for three years. Got a new 2009 TDI 6 speed man. and costs $891.00 Can. to install it. Word of caution: check with your dealer for a recomended installer as I did. A lot of installers will not work on VW's. Some will not recomend installing them, but if you don't abuse them by letting them run too long, I say go for it!

Kerosene Burner

TDI
2006 Passat TDI sold, 2009 Jetta TDI sold, 2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium Plus
MBoni said:

I tried it this morning. The outside temp was around 55 and I had warm air within 1/2 a block. I did not let it idle and drove off slowly, in fact it is downhill so I coasted most of the way. There has to be some kind of electric heater for the cabin.

rotorhead23

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta and remote start

I had a 2006 Jetta TDI with DSG and I had an Ultrastart unit in it. It worked flawlessly, no problems. It cost me around $800.00 Can. I asked my Dealer where to get one and they recommended a place in town. Make sure they are a recommended installer as many places do not like working on VW's and some just don't. I also got a quote from them on my new 09 TDI, Black, 6 speed man. It will cost $891.00 for it and I will get it. If you do get one, don't let it idle for much more than 5 min. No point! That is just long enough to warm up the DSG so it shifts nice.

Grizz

TDI
03 Jetta TDI
rotorhead23 said:
I had a 2006 Jetta TDI with DSG....
What is a DSG and how do you tell if you have one?? I have an 03 Jetta TDI and was/am considering a remote starter, not to warm the engine as I understand it does not work effectively, but to give it a few minutes of run time in order to get some oil out the pan and into the engine prior to driving away.

When we purchased the car, the dealer said that we should let the car idol in cold weather until you feel heat from the seat warmers prior to driving. Was he misleading & uninformed or is this a good idea??

Grizz

TDI
03 Jetta TDI
Elfnmagik said:
OK, please, please, spend just 5 minutes searching before posting. Thanks.
I tried to search it three times but all I kept getting back was an error message!!!! Just because you may or may not have seen this posted somewhere on the board prior to my asking the question, don't make the mistake of concluding I decided it was easier to ask than try to search it first.

By the way, thanks for taking the time to try and educate me about the search function as apposed to simply answering my query while extending me the benefit of the doubt. I find it incredibly tiresome constantly seeing someone come up with such a brilliant yet amazingly repetitive post rather than treating other members with even a fraction of respect by simply answering.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Try Google then, but to give you the EASY answer, it's the transmission. Direct Shift Gearbox.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The 09 does have AXU heat,make sure you hit the buttion for recirculate the air no out side air.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
My boss BELIEVES in idling diesel engines to warm them up (or maybe he just doesn't care about the bad stuff that can happen) and has a remote start on his Powerstroke powered Ford pickup. That thing takes a while for the glow plugs to warm up, and he doesn't have any issues with the remote start on the truck.
Just figured I'd throw that out there, since I used to think that remote starts and glow plugs didn't mix.

SacoRiver

TDI
considering
Have someone competent install the remote starter. A friend had one installed cheap at a sterio shop, they just "tucked" it in. Later his mechanic took the dash off looking for the problem, it was like six hours labor, only to discover the black box had frayed and shorted out a wire.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
VW has there own way of doing things,you are just asking for trouble. The one thing that a diesel really needs,that there a load on the engine.So you have no blow by on the turbo,and keep presure on the rings.

rotorhead23

Veteran Member
TDI
I had the Ultrastart remote start installed at the same place that did my 06 installation. It works well on my 09 TDI 6 speed manual. You just have to remember to "set" it before you shut the engine off ( Trans in neutral, handbrake on, tap brake twice). I let it run only 3-4 min. before driving. Seats are warm! Nice!