Adjust Timing after Phase 1??

lriddick

TDI
2015 JSW
So after the software flash form Phase 1, which most likely RETARDED everyones timing, has anyone gone in and readjusted the timing to an advanced state. I haven't seen anyone post a process on adjusting the timing on the MRK7 golf, or am i missing something. I wouldnt think adjusting the timing would void the extended warrantee, or would it screw something else up with all the other changes they made ??

lriddick

TDI
2015 JSW
soooo... i guess that means no for the average joe mechanic to go in with VCDS and make the changes. I'm assuming all we can do is get a tune and and flash the eco correct?? Its hard to believe that something as simple as changing the timing requires a flash of the ecu. i would easily change a parameter in the ecu but not flashing the ecu and risk the warranty.. there has to be an easier way to do this. i really hate the idea of driving with a retarded timing sooting and gumming the engine up. man they have us by the b**ls.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Thanks the EPA and emissions for placing everyone in the "time out box" with tampering with timing.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
i really hate the idea of driving with a retarded timing sooting and gumming the engine up.
Do you have any proof that's what is happening?
It shouldn't do anything to the engine block as far as I know. Retarded timing will produce lower temps (for lower nox), and likely incomplete combustion due to lower temps and shorter combustion intervals. This will cause more soot particles to leave the exhaust and into the DPF. There were reports that the modification will shorten the life of the DPF and cause more regens.

Perhaps that's what lriddick meant

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
Since i reverted back to pre-diesel gate software,I get approx 100kms(60 miles) more between regens.Before it was doing after ~300kms and now after ~400kms on the almost same route.

But car felt more powerful and quicker to accelerate before (with the 'latest phase-1 fixed software').Engine noise wise,i did not find big difference.I am gonna flash back to the 'fixed software' in coming 1-2 months before going to the dealer for my 1st service and will report back my feel about it.

Last edited:

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
Since i reverted back to pre-diesel gate software,I get approx 100kms(60 miles) more between regens.Before it was doing after ~300kms and now after ~400kms on the almost same route.

But car felt more powerful and quicker to accelerate before (with the 'latest phase-1 fixed software').Engine noise wise,i did not find big difference.I am gonna flash back to the 'fixed software' in coming 1-2 months before going to the dealer for my 1st service and will report back my feel about it.
What are you using to switch back and forth between pre and post phase 1 software?

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
I'm also curious about this. I'm not going back to the dealer, just wondering how you are going from pre to post "tunes".

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
VAS6154, he has a 2015 which is different. On the 09-14s the ECU software has been changed considerably, you can't simply write a pre-fix file onto it and the common ECU tools don't work smoothly for doing so. Components and fault tables have been changed. It would be easier to immo defeat a second ECU, we've tried simply flashing the files back and forth using a couple of tools to do a dyno comparison.

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
The bigger question is - how can I capture my pre-diesel gate software and save it so I can revert to it at a later date?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I'm curious about this VAS6154.

Is this a system that allows you to tune your own ECU? Or is it something similar to VCDS? What is it?

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
I'm curious about this VAS6154.

Is this a system that allows you to tune your own ECU? Or is it something similar to VCDS? What is it?
Its a factory diagnostic interface used by VW,Audi dealerships to diagnose,update software on all VW,AUdi models.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Let's say I wanted to put my car on a dyno. Where and how much?

I guess there wouldn't be any huge surprises though. It has a VNT-17 and Malone stage 4 tune, so it probably puts out pretty much what is already advertised.

For the 2015 Golf, being able to swap tunes back and forth from "fixed" to original would be interesting, if that's what the VAS6154 can do. If the phase 1 software turns out to be annoying, having the choice to not use it would be great.

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
We're out in cloverdale, 100-150 typically. Shot you a pm. PP520s with a VNT17 and otherwise stock car puts down around 145/290 typically (no smoke), more fuel will crack 160.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
So... about the vas6154and the comment being made, that there is no need to image the ecu prior to getting phase 1 fix software on a 2015 ea288. What do you guys mean exactly? It would be nice to be able to decide what version of software I use. Pre or post. For me it would be a matter of getting my hands on the previous software because I bought a leftover with phase 1 fix already complete

Last edited:

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
I missed that speed reading the post. I only saw your x2. So what is the difference between the two software versions. They are running heavier post injection for the after treatment system? Is that all that is different?

Amit, since you can essentially toggle back and forth between software versions, what kind of fuel economy difference do you observe? I have no baseline, as I am only have time behind the wheel with the fix software.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
Amit, since you can essentially toggle back and forth between software versions, what kind of fuel economy difference do you observe? I have no baseline, as I am only have time behind the wheel with the fix software.
I would say negligible.On newer firmware,it's using little more fuel because of frequent regens.I was getting approx 100kms more between regens on pre fix software.Means its producing more soot with newer software.

~400 kms between regens on pre fix vs ~300kms between regens on post fix.(Logged on same route)

But car feels peppier at low RPMs with post fix.Power output did not change at all.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
Copy that. Was just a real quick google search that brought me to that. Looks like the genuine will run me about $1600.00 us. Yikes