Liklihood of a fix for the 1st Gen TDI?

worldadventurephoto

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6spd Sedan W/Premium
What do you think the liklihood that VW will come out with a fix for these cars within a year from now? My '12 Jetta 6MT has 39,998 on the clock and has been sitting week after week, month after month. Am I waiting for nothing?

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Probably a better chance than the Falcons ever winning the Super Bowl.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You did read the linked thread, right?

I, on the other hand, pay zero attention to (what Americans call) football. I do recall some team named the Falcons may have been throwing a funny shaped ball around this past weekend, but I don't know what the outcome was.

:D

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
My service guy said they expect the gen1 in a few months. He said gen2 would be last. Not sure if his source was official or rumormill, but he was pretty well informed about other aspects of the issue. Maybe he's a TDI club member....

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
My service guy said they expect the gen1 in a few months. He said gen2 would be last. Not sure if his source was official or rumormill, but he was pretty well informed about other aspects of the issue. Maybe he's a TDI club member....
Why does it take a few months? The deadline for VW to submit the fix plan for gen 1 was 1/27/2017 and EPA/CARB has 45 days to prove/disprove it, so we should hear the results in mid march.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hey so don't take this question out of context, but what makes bleachedbora so credible?

I see that other forum members are touting what he says to be true, but how could someone that let's say doesn't know him, take what he says without a box of salt?
Look at my join date.

Look at BleachedBora's join date.

'Nuff said.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Look at my join date.
'Nuff said.
Not only that, but read a few of his posts and it should be quite apparent that he is extremely well informed on the subject of tdi's.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Hey so don't take this question out of context, but what makes bleachedbora so credible?

I see that other forum members are touting what he says to be true, but how could someone that let's say doesn't know him, take what he says without a box of salt?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
BB is - in my opinion - one of the most credible sources on this site. I know him personally and have slept on his couch when his warehouse was a bedroom. He is level-headed, honest, has connections and won't go spouting things that he isn't sure of without a qualifier that he isn't sure.

How can someone new know that? Well, they can't, but they can listen to the opinions of those that know him or have been around long enough to know what he is like.

TDI
Jetta
Doesn't the fix have to approved for the gen 1 from the EPA. They haven't come out yet and gave there blessing. IF they do approve of it, when can I expect to get this fix and my restitution payment?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Yes, any fix would have to be approved by the EPA. If/when they do, you could get the fix some time later. I know that isn't very specific, but there really isn't any way to know how quickly VW will gear up to get the parts and training out to the dealers. FWIW, though, they were doing the Gen3 fixes within a week or two after approval.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I thought I read that VW was supposed to submit its fix to the EPA by January 27, and the EPA is supposed to respond in 45 days. Something like that.

And BleachedBora is a credible resource. Of course anyone's info source can be wrong, but he has better connections within VW than most people here.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
So the middle of March would not be an unreasonable time to check in for an update.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The approval could, of course, happen any time before then. Mid to late March should be the deadline if all parties have stayed on schedule - but it could be earlier.

When parts will become available is quite another matter. It would be very unwise of VW to spend big coin tooling up for, and building, parts that eventually end up not being approved. I would think it would be a few months after that before repair parts start showing up in appreciable numbers - and a year wouldn't surprise me.

edit: It could be faster if they piggyback the new parts kit on existing parts originally meant for other applications so that they can use existing tooling. There's no way to know.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Look at my join date.

'Nuff said.
Not only that, but read a few of his posts and it should be quite apparent that he is extremely well informed on the subject of tdi's.
While I appreciate both points, neither validate what I asked. Being on a forum for a long time doesn't mean anything in itself. Neither does providing knowledgeable posts in regards to other subjects.
BB is - in my opinion - one of the most credible sources on this site. I know him personally and have slept on his couch when his warehouse was a bedroom. He is level-headed, honest, has connections and won't go spouting things that he isn't sure of without a qualifier that he isn't sure.

How can someone new know that? Well, they can't, but they can listen to the opinions of those that know him or have been around long enough to know what he is like.
^^^ This however does make sense and answers the question. That he's a connected guy with credible industry sources.

It was nothing to be taken personal. Wasn't a direct attack or anything at all in that regard. It's just that this is the Internet where anyone can boast of owning 12 ferraris, having a billion dollars, etc.
Whitedogs post cleared it I know for me at least. He knows him personally and he knows that he's connected with credible sources.
Simple enough.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
While I appreciate both points, neither validate what I asked..... This however does make sense and answers the question. That he's a connected guy with credible industry sources.
It was nothing to be taken personal. Wasn't a direct attack or anything at all in that regard. It's just that this is the Internet where anyone can boast of owning 12 ferraris, having a billion dollars, etc.
Whitedogs post cleared it I know for me at least. He knows him personally and he knows that he's connected with credible sources.
Simple enough.
No offense... nothing personal but please stop sandmansans.... You know,
should know, the status of the fix is indefinite or undetermined; solid answers
are improbable, doubtful, until VW announces the final status which they have
I recall until mid 2018 to make. However par for the forum, people enjoy asking
hypothetical questions and guessing and predicting... no need to complain about
the replies not appeasing or producing definitive answers. Yes turbobrick knows a
lot; his opinion and analysis worth more than mine and probably yours, no offense.
No need to be argumentative. Our lives do not depend on a Gen 1, not that important.

Last edited:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
No offense... nothing personal but please stop sandmansans.... You know,
should know, the status of the fix is indefinite or undetermined; solid answers
are improbable, doubtful, until VW announces the final status which they have
I recall until mid 2018 to make. However par for the forum, people enjoy asking
hypothetical questions and guessing and predicting... no need to complain about
the replies not appeasing or producing definitive answers. Yes turbobrick knows a
lot; his opinion and analysis worth more than mine and probably yours, no offense. .
Huh? What kind of drugs have you consumed tonight, this is a serious question for you, as typically your posts are not of the odd ball nature..as is the case with this one. Where have I been argumentative?

The previous answers, which by the way I wasn't argumentative about, didn't address the question. They essentially said "take our word for it" What's your suggestion then? That I or anyone else for that matter just say "oh okay, just cause so and so said so, it must be true...without knowing or having any background of said person?
Right, that makes a lot of sense!? :(

No need to be argumentative. Our lives do not depend on a Gen 1, not that important
Please take this and any other future nutty rants to the dieselgate thread. I asked a simple question. Folks answered, some were insufficient and others were. That's it...I didnt argue with them, call them wrong, stupid, or anything else that would even begin to imply of what you tried to accuse me of etc. lol there was no arguing!!
....clear enough for you??

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That was unnecessary and unpleasant. And my response was more along the lines of "do your own research" , than "take our word for it".

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
That was unnecessary and unpleasant. And my response was more along the lines of "do your own research" , than "take our word for it".
?huh?

You said to look up his posts on tdi's, which I have seen before. To which I responded in a non argumentive manner etc was that his posts, while knowledgeable, didn't answer the question.
Being well informed on the subject of tdi's does not correlate to having insider knowledge.
Not only that, again this is the internet. I am just to blindly accept something that he posted? Something that no one else, no where else even hints at?

No, it was totally necessary.
As I was not argumentative with you or anyone else until he went off of his meds.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, the snarky "are you on drugs" comment was unnecessary. If you ever hope to even remotely earn the level of respect here that guys like Bleachedbora have, those sorts of comments won't make it happen.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Yeah, the snarky "are you on drugs" comment was unnecessary.
Granted, but @gmcjetpilot's post was bizarre and not really related to anything that had happened in this thread--especially since @sandmansans had posted three days earlier that he was good and considered the matter settled.

Nobody here has unquestioned authority or credibility (other than the authority of the admins/mods), and respectfully questioning why any given source is considered credible should be entirely fair game.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Yeah, the snarky "are you on drugs" comment was unnecessary. If you ever hope to even remotely earn the level of respect here that guys like Bleachedbora have, those sorts of comments won't make it happen.
Perhaps and kudos to you for actually replying/posting something accurate this time. But the same way my comment wasn't necessary, neither was his. My comment was retaliatory, the same way your follow up comment was as well. Both unecessary and retaliatory in nature.

A little lesson on respect for you, it's a 2 way street. I don't live my life seeking the respect from you, him or anyone else for that matter. I treat folks the same way I am treated. I treat you nicely until you treat me otherwise, then at that point its fair game, as was the case here.

Another lesson in respect is to concede rather than try to build a point on b.s. when you know the other person is right fyi. ..go back and read the original comment and the ones that followed, both by yourself and others, and then sit down and use that brain of yours.

I'll give you the timeline:
I asked a simple and fair question.
You, him and others replied .
Some replies weren't sufficient, others were .
I replied thanking and respecting each reply, then stating in more detail as to why I asked the question. You know to clear the air just incase someone tried to take it out of context such as you have.
The other guy gave his left field response.
I gave my own left field response.
You jumped in and tried to defend his honor with your own left field response.
I followed up with another left field response. ...etc.
Now do you see the beginning, middle and now hopefully the end?

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Granted, but @gmcjetpilot's post was bizarre and not really related to anything that had happened in this thread--especially since @sandmansans had posted three days earlier that he was good and considered the matter settled.

Nobody here has unquestioned authority or credibility (other than the authority of the admins/mods), and respectfully questioning why any given source is considered credible should be entirely fair game.
Thanks Dan for being a voice of reason.

I'll admit, my response to his comment was at a level 35 a-hole. But frankly it was and still is a head scratcher and as you mentioned, it was in reply to his equally bizarre post.

As you mentioned, no one on here. Myself included, has unquestioned authority. That was the sole purpose of my innocent question.

Thats why its so surprising, as i have mentioned before both him and turbo van usually don't post in this variety/fashion.
I'll chalk it up to a full moon and move on.

Can we all agree to do so?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Perhaps and kudos to you for actually replying/posting something accurate this time. But the same way my comment wasn't necessary, neither was his. My comment was retaliatory, the same way your follow up comment was as well. Both unecessary and retaliatory in nature.

A little lesson on respect for you, it's a 2 way street. I don't live my life seeking the respect from you, him or anyone else for that matter. I treat folks the same way I am treated. I treat you nicely until you treat me otherwise, then at that point its fair game, as was the case here.

Another lesson in respect is to concede rather than try to build a point on b.s. when you know the other person is right fyi. ..go back and read the original comment and the ones that followed, both by yourself and others, and then sit down and use that brain of yours.

I'll give you the timeline:
I asked a simple and fair question.
You, him and others replied .
Some replies weren't sufficient, others were .
I replied thanking and respecting each reply, then stating in more detail as to why I asked the question. You know to clear the air just incase someone tried to take it out of context such as you have.
The other guy gave his left field response.
I gave my own left field response.
You jumped in and tried to defend his honor with your own left field response.
I followed up with another left field response. ...etc.
Now do you see the beginning, middle and now hopefully the end?

Yeesh. Relax. Absolutely no need to be so thin-skinned.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Yeesh. Relax. Absolutely no need to be so thin-skinned.
Turbobrick, I have been down this road before. Cheers.

............\|||/
............(o o)
,----ooO--(_)-------.
|.........Please........|
|....don't feed the...|
|........TROLL's !.....|
'--------------Ooo---'
...........|__|__|
.............|| ||
..........ooO Ooo

Last edited: