AdBlue consumption on Mk7 Golf?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Could be variable. I think these cars are individually tuned because of normal variation and differences in off the shelf component parts. Kerma TDI modifies your stock tune instead of completely erasing and overlaying a new tune. I suspect it preserves individually unique look up tables and constants generated when your car is setup by VW.
I got a 2.5 gallon bottle of DEF in the garage now. It will sit there until the low DEF light appears. We'll see. The clock is ticking now.

I'm sure Kerma provides custom tunes but simple exchange of stock files for tuned files via therm Qloader is not what many consider a custom tune, custom for the VIN sure.

A custom tune would require multiple logs and a lot more tweaking than exchange of files via email

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I'm sure Kerma provides custom tunes but simple exchange of stock files for tuned files via therm Qloader is not what many consider a custom tune, custom for the VIN sure.

A custom tune would require multiple logs and a lot more tweaking than exchange of files via email
Who provides that? Malone doesn't do that (unless you hand over the keys perhaps). My guess it would cost more than just flashing the ECU with the tune. My local guru will flash the Malone tune and hand the car back to you without multiple logs and testing. He does NOT have a dynomometer to test performance, so he can't really do a custom tune anyway. You can't properly do a custom tune by a seat of the pants test. A dyno is required for truly custom tuning. Does anyone get that level of tune (besides a few lucky individuals in the right place, and money to burn!!) ?? I doubt it!

What I am saying about Kerma is that the stock ECU has custom files underlying the stock tune that are dependent on the individual car, performance of the collection of individual parts. Kerma starts with your stock tune files. Isn't that true??? Most of the files on the ECU are left "as is" during a tune from any tune vendor (your stock tune on the Q Pro loader is a starting place, different than any other car). Only things like boost curve, injection volume and timing (especially!) are modified. Maybe a few other things. It is my impression that the ECUs on stock vehicles are NOT identical (many hardware performance-dependent constants and curves). Maybe just a few of the constants and curves are substantially unique, and most others are interchangeable.

Perhaps the people that do these tunes can clarify? Maybe a Malone tune does not replace most of the constants and curves either. I am sure that some of the files should not be replaced. One could reduce the urea injection volume, for instance, if you want to save urea, fill the tank less often, but that would not have an effect on the performance-just the emissions. From a users perspective, having the original tune on the Q-Pro loader to restore is a great feature to have.

Last edited:

Sad Panda

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI
It depends on how far the tuner wants to modify the stock files. I know that kerma is constantly improving there tune and recently tweaked how urea injection works, I have not run enough miles yet to know how far they changed it but I have already gone further than ever and still don't have an adblue warning yet. Trying a new tune from them right now and damn is it a huge improvement over their original release, on many more points than just adblue consumption. Regen frequency has been totally reworked, somehow pushed even more top end power from original, and fuel mileage has been almost unbelievably increased. I guess how far they go with changes just depends on how well they dig into the original data to understand it.