Managing a sooty tailpipe

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
HOLY S***! The above title states the number of days +/- 7 days of fighting the P0401 battle. Blood, sweat, tears, currency, and mental health all thrown at this problem. Thank you, Matt! So the question then becomes with these following results, where do I head?

Basic Settings 67: Absolute utter failure, OFF 540 ON 525
Basic Settings 68: OPEN-23 CLOSED-90
Basic Settings 78: Block 1: 90 Block 3: Remained at 3 the entire time

So do I pull the Low Pressure EGR Valve off the cooler and run Basic Settings 67 to ensure the valve is moving? Is it possible it is just the valve and not the DPF/EGR filter issue? I do not have any other codes beside the P0401. I did have to replace the Low Pressure EGR Filter because the canister blew out and was sitting on the bottom pipe connected to the EGR cooler. After replacing the filter, it was about 2,000 miles before the P0401 came back.
Sorry I didn't see this sooner!

First thing, do double check and be sure you don't see any soot in the exhaust. If there is any soot, the DPF is cracked and is contributing to the problem.

But, judging by the numbers you gave here, it does almost look like the low pressure EGR valve is not opening as much as it should, hence the very small difference in MAF reading as well as minimal pressure drop across the filter (there would be a minimal pressure differential if the valve is barely opening, right??).

So yes, I would say you're on the right track. The low pressure EGR valve itself bolts into the cooler on the back of the engine. I'd say it's worth trying to replace it. Or at least take it out and see if you can find any evidence of blockage in the system.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
VW e-mailed me the notification e-mail for the approved emissions fix.

I plan to take VW up on this offer, which will include a new particulate filter, and the end of my P0401 errors.

it also means that I will not need the spare DPF I have on hand, so I will post it for sale for a person who plans to get the fix, keep the car, but needs to replace a cracked DPF.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5347408&postcount=1

I finally got around to getting the DPF out of the top of my garage.

posted a few pictures at the above link

parts are in a box ready for me to insert an address label, tape up and ship out.

just in time since my car will be released to me after 90 days at the local dealer for the emissions fix.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
That DPF will fit a 2010?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Like a champ

(assuming late enough that the DPF is separate from the NOX cat)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5347408&postcount=1

I finally got around to getting the DPF out of the top of my garage.

posted a few pictures at the above link

parts are in a box ready for me to insert an address label, tape up and ship out.

just in time since my car will be released to me after 90 days at the local dealer for the emissions fix.
Not so fast. update fix only worked on two of four cars at local dealer. and after this delay, and over three months sitting neglected at the local dealer, I have given up on my car. Lawyer says they will let me change from fix to buyback, so I purchased a 2017 GSW S 4motion and moved my plates and other stuff to the new car. Life is short and I have stuff to haul and places to go.

Spare DPF is gone.

Hope this thread was of passing interest to a few folks.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
There is a part of me that wonders if the incidents of DPFs cracking could be greatly reduced if people knew their car was going through a regen and knew to NOT shut the engine off until the regen completes.
I know of a couple TDI owners who use a scan gauge to readout, among other things, EGT. Probably EGT 2, the first one after the turbo. Temp will consistently be above 1100 F/600 C even under light load driving. The owners in question will let the car continue to idle until the temperature drops to about 450 F (down from a high above 1100) and then shut it down. It certainly is a gentler change in temperature when you allow the car to do this.
This not only would be better for the DPF, but much better for the turbo as well. I suspect those that take these precautions will get much better service life out of these components.
Unfortunately, Volkswagen, in their infinite wisdom, decided not to include a warning light to let drivers know when the car is actively performing a regen. Part of the whole "dumbing down" so already distracted drivers don't have anything else to worry about. The DPF warning light on VWs only comes on when the soot loading has gotten critical because too many attempted regens were not allowed to finish (short trips). A simple software reflash could fix that to simply turn on the regen light whenever the car was actively going through a regen cycle, and the cars with message warning systems in the cluster could also advise to keep the car running until instructed to shut it off...
I have a feeling if they did that, and owners actually heeded the warnings, there would be fewer failures.
Im new to the "DPF" diesel world (not diesel). Im making my way thru this eye opening thread and definatly learning. My appology if this is answered after this page 10 post Im responding to.

Is there any experianced owners running turbo timers?

Im deducting that the VW "fix" turned up the heat on the DPF to cook off emisions or is it the other way around?

Is there a visual way to somehow indicate an active regen? On light for example