Passat Vs deer pics (happy ending!)

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I clipped a deer last month while going to work. It was about 10:15PM on a 4-lane divided highway. My speed was about 50MPH when he came into view. The deer was a full grown stag with a 5 point rack. His weight was at least 200lbs. I had enough time to lock up my brakes a scrub off most of my speed. I was probably going less than 30 mph when I hit him. The car nose dived and I hit the deer low in the hind legs and hindquarter. He bounced off my hood and somersaulted away from the car, which was preferable than crashing through my windshield.

Now the funny part. I pulled over to the side of the road. By that time 5 cars had stopped and had the emergency lights going to try to warn traffic that there was a large wounded animal flopping around in the road. I only broke the deer's hind legs and he was thrashing around in a blind panic trying to escape. Cars were flying by and there were several near misses. One car came screeching to a stop only a few feet in front of the deer and could not move around him due to traffic.

A bystander commented that someone was going to hit the deer again or a stopped car. Only a minute later this happened. Some kid talking on his cell phone and not noticing a stopped car with flashers on skids and POW, hits the stopped car. He crushed his hood, bumper, and took out his grill and headlights. Both front airbags went off. The front windshield shattered from the airbags going off. He was OK but the look on his face was priceless, a hilarious combination of cluelessness and shock. I got to listen in as he called his dad and explained that he just totaled his car. The deer eventually dragged himself across the road and that's the last I saw of him. Some local got himself a nice trophy rack and a freezer full of venison. The police eventually showed up and got the accident reports written up. I drove on to work.

Just over 3 weeks later and I FINALLY got my car back today. Damage was around $4,000. The body shop did an excellent job. Here are a few shots of the carnage: crushed hood & radiator support, broken grill, headlight, and lots of miscellaneous plastic bits.

The insurance adjusters were typical. I never met them but they tried to force the shop into using used parts. The shop owner said OK, but he had the right to refuse parts that are not up to par. The used parts arrived: hood, headlight, AC condenser, and some other small bits. The parts were too used and rejected. The adjuster had to be called back to see what junk arrived. After that all new VW parts were ordered. This added a week of waiting. I provided the shop owner with copies of the ETKA program of the whole car from the firewall forward. This helped him expedite parts and he commented that I gave him more detail than his Mitchell repair manuals.

Here is a shot of the front end removed. The large square piece of shattered plastic on the floor is a duct that directs air from the grill to the AC condenser and radiator. It was not visible until the front end was dismantled. It took another week to get it as it was missed on the initial inspection. There were shards of plastic stuck in the AC condenser and radiator fins. Because the integrity of these two critical parts were compromised there were replaced without question. The insurance adjuster was annoyed to hear this.

New AC condenser and radiator installed. I new gallon of VW G-12+ coolant was ordered and used to top off the cooling system. The AC system received a fresh charge of R-134 with new oil.

Here is my car almost done. The big hold-up was the right headlight. First a box shows up with a right side part number but it contains a left side headlight. Another unit is ordered and it arrived cracked. Another unit is ordered and is back-ordered for a week. All new lenses were installed in the bumper. They were all cracked.

Here she is all done. The sunlight was fading fast so the photos are a bit grainy. What you can see easily is how clear the new right side headlight is. At night it is very clear and the light is white and bright. The original left side is dim, yellow, and dull. The shop did polish the left side headlight but the plastic has aged too much. I have ordered a new left side headlight. That problem will be corrected by the end of the week.

The shop missed the TDI badge. I'm sort of liking the clean look of the front end without it so I think I'll just ask them for it and I'll install it whenever I'm in the mood.

Damn dirty deer, but now it's all behind me.

Last edited:

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Beautiful - but you need the front badge. Gotta let them know coming and going what you have.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Damn deers...at least everything is back to normal now.

Have you thought about asking them (the insurance company) to replace your ecodes...:rolleyes:

Maybe time for an upgrade? ;)

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
compu_85 said:
They threw out the old one? Eh, they're $10 at the dealership anyway :)

Really looks nice!

-J
I stopped by the shop today to see if they had the old TDI badge laying around. It was still attached to the broken grill. The front of the car is so nice and clean now and the original TDI badge is so weather beaten, I'm going to order a new one. The old badge will be kept as a souvenir.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Last edited:

ICNTDRV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI
Yeah, you need to sand down that other headlight with some 2000 grit sandpaper to make them match

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
ICNTDRV said:
Yeah, you need to sand down that other headlight with some 2000 grit sandpaper to make them match
The shop tech did that. The surface is as smooth as glass. The cloudiness is in the plastic.

Anybody know where I get a good deal on E-codes, beside Eurocullen? I don't want to wait a year and I don't want Depos (sp?).

ICNTDRV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI
Eh, when I did mine, I had to start out with some rougher grit sandpaper to dig deep enough into the plastic to get to the bad part. Started with 350 then 600 then 800 then 1200 then 2000 grit and mine look almost new. Wet sanding really does the trick, just takes some patience. Also worked on my Chrysler Lebaron's headlights and they started out rougher than the sandpaper.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I was helping another MI member with the headlights on his Golf. The one side was very dingy. I polished the front, and it got better, but it still wasn't clear. I looked mode closely, and it looked like the cloudyness was on the back (bulb) side of the lens. I guess that sunlight bounced off the lens and made both sides cloudy?

-J

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
I hope you saved the old radiator and condensor... looked plenty reuseable and resaleable to me... no wonder the adjuster was pissed. Plastic shards? We pull all kinds of crap out of condensors in the HVAC business and they still work to 98 to 99.9% efficiency.

Don't be surprised if your insurance company jacks you around with your premiums going up 20% for 3 years.

Don't be a cheapskate, replace the left lense assy completely and don't screw with it... everything else on your front end is brand new, fork the dough over and do it right.

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
I thought about saving the AC condenser and radiator but when you get to see them up close...

What you can see in the one picture is the lower third of the old AC condenser fins all crushed in from road debris over the last 276,000 miles and eight years. There is actually a pattern on the fins where the debris went around the lower supports. I was pleased I could get a new condenser out of this.

The radiator has crushed fins on the back side from the fan motor hitting it. The shop tech asked if I was having any problems with overheating. I said no. He showed me how plugged up the fins were with years of dirt and insect debris, and I mean plugged solid. I was shocked to see this. This is the area between the AC condenser and the radiator that you cannot see. The good news is the inside of the radiator is perfectly clean from the G-12 coolant.

As far as my premium rates going up, deer hits fall under comprehensive and should not raise my premiums. My only claims have been a cracked windshield and another minor deer hit that only creased my hood last year. My hood was repaired and repainted on that one. I have not had any accidents or speeding tickets, or I should say speeding tickets that they know about. ;)

I figured out what is going on with the left side headlight now that I have a new one to compare it to. Condensation has clouded it up from the inside. The new unit is always clear. The old headlight fogs up on the inside until it has been on long enough for the heat to evaporate the moisture. I know these headlights are suppose to have vents for moisture to escape. My thinking now is that the vent no longer works on the old headlight. My mission is to go hunting for E-codes!

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
Damn, the VISA card is smoking hot and my wallet is hurting after what I just did.

E-Codes from TM-Tuning.

Clear-Bra from Invicta-Shield.

Lamp-Gard from Weather Tech.

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and 2015 GSW MT
Brian-you'll like the ecodes.......it is nice to have GLASS instead of plastic......and better light pattern-I got mine from eurocullen-and the price was great ($200 bucks) but the wait was like 6 months-which was ridiculous......but the lights are real nice.......now if I could just get some (inexpensive) but good fogs.......(probably can't have both)...........

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
ooo... Nice!

You should be able to resell that new a-code for a few bux I'd think.

-J

Last edited:

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Congrats on the ecodes et al. You will love them. Mine make such a difference in the appearance of my car I had a hard time beliving how bad the others looked!