I have a totaled ALH TDI and a straight 2.0 Jetta.

Rcbamm

TDI
05 Golf TDI BEW SOLD. 2015 Golf TDI VW boughtback. Own: 15 GSW TDI. 99.5 Jetta TDI
So I got hit and run by a drunk driver New Year's Day morning around 6:30am on my way home from work on the interstate traveling about 75 mph. I was in my 99.5 Jetta TDI and the guy must of been going well over a hundred MPH because he KO'd my rear end. I got a busted eye getting pushed up into the A pillar. The guy ran and the cops couldn't find him :mad:

Anyways my 99.5 TDI is not worth repairing.

https://goo.gl/photos/nSSjYDpVv68qDVwu8

However I am a VW fan and I currently have 3 Mk4 Jettas, (TDI, 1.8T, and a 2.0) I also have a mk4 Golf 1.8t and a 1.8t Beetle. All except for my TDI I have bought these cars for under $700. My 2003 Jetta 1.8t has 63k original miles and is currently getting a 5 speed swap, but I plan on totally tearing the car down and doing a full repaint and interior refurb. The Golf is also another long term project. The beetle is a donor parts car aswell as the 2.0 Jetta (5speed donor)

The 2.0 Jetta is a straight never wrecked or dismantled car. Got it from the original owner who was an old guy. I want to take my totaled TDI and swap the engine/tranny and fuel system into the 2.0 chassis. However I am worried about the wiring. For one the engine, aswell as my Jetta TDI has crank windows and the 2.0 has a sunroof aswell as power windows.

Now please, I know to search the forums and I AM, but to save a little time, if y'all have some advice on this swap and maybe some good links that you just can't find with searches that you could post here I would greatly appreciate it. I currently have the week off from work due to my eye injury from the accident but I honestly feel fine, my eye is just swollen pretty good, however I would like to try and do this swap this week.

I have the two Jettas which are complete, so I don't see this being that hard other than wiring and programming.

-Daniel

Last edited:

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Takes a special kind of scum to drink and drive, and it's on another level to run after hitting someone. Can't say anything about the swap but I hope they catch the perp.

JohnnyCanuck.Comox

TDI
2004 Golf GLS
Glad you're mostly ok, too bad about the car but looks like it will live on in some way or another. Get a 2 channel dash cam, scum bags like the person above will be on either rear or front cam.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Also glad to know you are OK and able to take on a project so soon
I believe I commented on this on Vortex, but this type of swap has been done a lot. You have the perfect setup, both a complete donor TDI and a running reciepent car. I also had a rear ended donor TDI, my 2003 daily driver.
The mechanical engine/transaxle swap is easy, just mechanical stuff. Among other not so obvious things I found I needed the power steering pump to rack plumbing, A/C compressor hose, and delete the under fuel tank gas fuel filter. Of course you need the TDI ecu and both ECU/engine bay wiring harnesses.
I chose to use the TDI instrument cluster for the correct lights and tach face. I also had an immobilizer delete done to use the key sets the gas chassis car had.
You need to make up a wiring/fused panel for the GP/109 relay and some misc wiring to wake up th ECU,etc. There are threads out there with the diagrams and info. Swapping with different model years depending on whether they are completely compatible may make things a bit more challenging.
Now that I've done one, the next wouldn't take nearly as long. It's probably not worth it, but that's never stopped me before. TDI cars in decent shape are rather tough to find in my area, and when a good inexpensive donor came along ($600 for a nice shape GLS 2003 Jetta sedan) it was hard to pass up. Personally, I would suggest you drive the 2.0 for a while and collect info and schedule this project for when you have more time, but maybe you have what you need already and are finished. A follow up with results would be nice to see..

Last edited:
TDI
mk4
i am also in the same boat....hit a deer with my 00 TDI , and found a 00 Golf 1.8t 4 door as a donor. so i have 2 complete cars.

i pulled the one harness with the 4 or 5 colored plugs. where does the other harness disconnect? it goes through a grommet in the firewall.
was unsure if the whole dash had to come out.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
i am also in the same boat....hit a deer with my 00 TDI , and found a 00 Golf 1.8t 4 door as a donor. so i have 2 complete cars.

i pulled the one harness with the 4 or 5 colored plugs. where does the other harness disconnect? it goes through a grommet in the firewall.
was unsure if the whole dash had to come out.

You don't need to remove/change the harness that goes thru the firewall. That's the chassis side harness. The two that connect to the ECU are the ones that you need.

streetlegal

TDI
99.5 ALH Jetta
instead of making a new post asking the same thing, is there any update on this? I'm looking to do essentially the same thing. Take my 99.5 TDI 5spd drivetrain and put it in an 02 1.8t auto body. I'm just hesitant with the wiring and wanting to make sure it would all work.