2003 TDI with 320K- no start- any advice appreciated

Zampano77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
2003 Jetta TDI with 320,000 miles has started fine for five years in western NY. This week it has been 35-40 degree lows and it is now not wanting to start at all. Replace glowplugs due to vehicle mileage as well as a new glowplug bridge, due to deterioration of older bridge. Still no start. Increased glowplug duration time per post:
How To extend glow time with Vag-com - ALH http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=123304
Car still will not start. Engine seems to turnover more quickly than normal. My next step is to check compression of motor. Cyclinder head fully rebuilt 40 K miles ago along with timing belt replacement and at that time, initial engine mechanical timing was correct, i will recheck if necessary . I have installed three full timing belt kits on this car to date with no problems. Car is a manual transmission and has been getting about 42 miles per/gal. Injectors are original and are probably in need of rebuilt and replace; but have been working adequately enough prior to this no start episode.
Appreciate any advice or forum links.
Thanks again

een2102

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Lets go from easy to hard in seeking the causes of the problem....

Although checking compression will be useful, I suggest you do the following before you proceed.

1. Open one of the injectors and see if you have fuel squirting out. If not, check if the fuel pump solenoid is in working order or if you lost prime. If you lost prime look for air leak....return valve on filter is the usual suspect. Finally, check fuel filter condition....however, these usually start having symptoms under hard conditions.

2. Check your fuel sender unit. These are famous for having a check valve that can cause problems in cold weather but if you have any kind of junk, this check valve will get clogged very quickly.

3. Proceed and check compressions....however, very rarely is a sudden starting problem related to bad compression. Bad operation and hard starting would have started a long time ago before you actually get to a no start condition.

4. Check if the shut down solenoid is not sticking closed.

Those are the things to check that come to my mind. Lets hear what others have to say.

Zampano77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Fuel at injector, loosened and fuel flowed.
Fuel sender unit not clogged, had that problem 2 years ago and now fixed
compression check is what is next unless someone can give me a few more leads
Thanks so far!