OH, SON of a B-------! (Passat jumped time!)

dieselgrandad

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Silver B4 Passat
I don't want to get into gory details, but the dealer and I are going to talk. Maybe thruogh the help of a Lawyer.

Anyway, the subject says it all. Now the question is: "Replace or Rebuild? ".

Thanks to the site
I've already called the Part,s Place. I can get a long block ($1700.00)or a complete engine ($2500.00) Dealer wants $4500.00 installed. However, what are the members feelings about rebuilding?
I am capable, and it would give me an opportunity to "play" (Balance the engine, port and polish head and manifolds, etc.) Does anyone know of a good (reasonable) parts/pieces outlet for major components? (besides the Part's Place I mean).

I plan to pick the car up tomorrow and will tear into it over the weekend to determine the full extent of the damage. Will also get picts for all of the sickos out there who get off on engines that turn into "indian jewlery".

For the record the car is a box-stock '97 Passat, routinely maintanenced (or so I thought
) w/ 111,000 plus on the ODO.

Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

DD

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Contact Drivbiwire. He's not too far away (Hammond, IN) and could give you advice. It may only need a cylinder head, or less.