Help 09 Jetta problems, just picked up

michael7208

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Golf, 2005 BEW Wagon
Hey guys, I just picked up an 09 Jetta with the CR 2,0 diesel motor. Now I am no stranger to the VW diesels but I am to the CR motor. I purchased the car from previous owner for 750 dollars so obviously it is a project. He told me the car just quit on his son while he was driving down the road. PO was told it must be fuel related, anyways I figured I would take a chance. I did a scan once I got it home and found 8 codes. One of the codes was low fuel pressure. I have done a lot of reading on the forums and still not sure which way to go. Things I have done since purchase. I could not hear intank pump so I figured must be bad. I replaced with a know good one and cleaned the tank of all diesel and replaced with newer diesel. I cycled the pump several times, (although I still cant hear this pump either, I have a hearing deficit FYI) and then turned motor over. After a few tries it did start and run. While running I cleared the codes and scanned again. Fuel pressure was good at idle so VCDS said, This time only 3 codes.
1. Exhaust Pressure Sensor P047a
2. Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor P2015
3. Cylinder 1 Internal Pressure Sensor
My question will any of these 3 make the car hard to start. Please excuse my ignorance in advance, I am in the learning curve now for the CR motor, and trust me I have been reading as much as possible to try and figure this out, just looking for a little advice on where I should go. And sorry for long post. Feel free to ask me questions maybe I am missing something not sure at this point.
Thanks Mickey

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
The in tank fuel pump does not run with the key turned on. runs after the engine starts turning. So normal not to hear.

All 3 of your codes now are normal problems. look in the for sale ads for Dieselgeek 2015 bracket. or get a new bracket from dieselgeek. very easy to install. The stop for the intake flap actuator is plastic, and wears down until it allows the motor to overtravel then throws a code. This is the only one that might make it hard to start. Some have found the actuator arm popped off the lever to move the flap. its located just above the oil filter.

Cyl 1 internal pressure is the glow plug. these glow plugs also have a built in pressure sensor for the ECU to monitor. #1 is closest to the timing belt. Not like the older TDI's. only change the one glow plug, not a set. I have seen several for sale in the ads here.

The P047 is one of the differential pressure sensors in the emissions system. one is on a bracket above the intermediate pump, passenger side by the strut mount. the other is behind the oil fill cap wrapped in a little heat blanket. easy to change but the new sensor needs adapted with VCDS after install. They changed the designations of these sensors so you will see conflicting info on which one is sensor 1 or 2, also called G450 or G451. The one that always seems to go bad is the one behind the oil fill in the high heat area.

Couple things to look for......Check for metal in your fuel filter. I'm sure you have seen posts about the HPFP...... And lock all your doors with the remote then walk around and check to see if they are actually locked then do the same after unlocking with the remote. The lock actuator motors build up carbon on the brushes then start getting intermittent. can remove and clean them with no cost to fix.

$750 sound like a good deal. especially if you can still register and get the $5000 restitution money from VW to fix, and then have a new emissions system warranty.

michael7208

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reply, I have read about the HPFP and that is the next thing I plan on doing, my next day off. And thanks for that information about pump running. I thought it was like on a bew motor where it would prime system. Didn't know. I am also going to check the flap arm. If not messed up I have seen about DieselGeeks fix. Just havent gotten to that yet either. As for the fix not going to happen through VW it has a salvage title. I am in a county that does not do emission tests so I am hoping I can get around this, will have to check on that. Again thanks I will post what I find.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Wait you heard about the HPFP and you still bought one? You are one brave guy.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
PM sent. Oddly enough I actually have all three parts the OP needs left over from my '09. I have a Glow Plug, a differential pressure sensor (the rigfht one for an '09), and a DIeselgeek P2015 fix bracket.

The glow plug issue might make it harder to start, but I doubt if any of these fault codes would have caused the car to die on the road. There might be other issues involved as well. The first thing I would check (because it is easy) is to pull out the fuel metering valve in the HPFP and see if you can see small metal pieces in the hole (where it came out of) or stuck to the screen at the bottom of the valve. If there are no metal shavings visible - you are in luck, your HPFP has not self-destructed.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
You can install the CP3 pump on there for about $1200

michael7208

Veteran Member
TDI
Well that is what I am leaning toward the CP3 conversion do you know who I need to contact for information?

michael7208

Veteran Member
TDI
I was just curious could a CJAA motor be supplemented for a CBEA motor. I found a really good deal on a motor that only has 74k miles. It is out of an 2010

trevinator

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
CJAA can be substituted, that's a rather large job and probably not needed since it doesn't sound like anything catastrophic has happened (yet, anyway).
does it start easily once it is warm?
fixmyvw.com sells CP3 kits last I checked (I'm not endorsing or affiliated with them, just remember off the top of my head).
also did you try changing the fuel filter?

michael7208

Veteran Member
TDI
Trevinator, I only ran the motor a short time. But I can tell you when I had it running the DMF was really rattling at idle so I know that needs to be replaced. I also did check the fuel filter there was metal in there, it was in clumps of brown sludge. I used my magnet to verify it was metal. At this time I am not sure what to do. The CP3 conversion or just put a unit from IDparts in there for now and get it running. Do you have any advice. I was looking at the other motor for longevity. Basically I could remove this one and hopefully place that one in and be running.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Wait you heard about the HPFP and you still bought one? You are one brave guy.
Holly Wow, that's some truth right there. No matter what their condition, the 2009 thru 2014 Common Rail TDI's are on my never buy list. They are just to much of a money pit when things go wrong, and then there's that ridiculous poorly engineered re-gen thing, and don't forget about Diesel-Gate.