Any suggestion on a plug play turbo 1.9 alh

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
Yes, the GTB is better... But not directly plug and play or they would have been the first things ppl suggested. That or the smaller GTC and GTD depending on HP goals.

If you've got the dough, dark side makes a bolt on kit, but GTBs are not plug and play without it....

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
hx35, hy35, he351
whichever's laying around on craigslist with the smallest turbine housing

oh and a welder, an angle grinder and some old exhaust pipe.
Bolts right up.

ETA: oh right they make that cast iron T3 log manifold, so don't even need to weld anything other than maybe a downpipe if you don't feel like ditching the hood.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
I have an 1856 with a setup very similar to yours. See signature below.

Never felt laggy to me.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
I'll second what 3L3M3NT said. The GDT1752VRK is not plug and play but is well worth the little bit of work required to fit it. I've had one on my jetta along with .240 hflox nozzles and 11mm pump for close to a year now and love it. Much better spool and bottom end pull than stock. Not sure how much is due to the turbo and how much is the larger nozzles but these turbos are very nice for a daily driver while still capable of a respectable top end.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
I would buy a cheap gtb1756v of ebay and adapt the downpipe to suit with new flanges. Build a log manifold to clear the cylinder head and use a dark side developments oil feed and drain pipe. Very good low down spoil and enough headroom to support 200-220 Bhp. If you have the time the gtb2056vl from the 2.4d Volvo is even cheaper to buy and has the extra benefit of being water cooled as well- nice feature to give extra heat in the cabin on cold winters !

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Certainly not plug and play, but I'll second the GTD1752vrk simply because it'd be awesome to see someone post about it on an ALH! Not sure how much differently it might behave, but the 1752vrk is capable of full boost (2.1bar) by 2k rpm on a CR. 1752 can take a bit more EGT (1700F, same as stock GTD turbo on the ea288 family).

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
After paying close attention to all of your comments about turbo upgrade plus doing other researches i think im going to purchase GTD1752VRK turbo, there is a company the other side of the pond that sells them with the ALH manifold ready to go, ADV turbo is called, anybody knows if it is a good source to get it from? Now I need to see about how to get a source for the downpipe, has anyone here installed GTD on the ALH, maybe I can gather where to get the downpipe and air duct pipe, this is probably be the major hick up to this project.

Any more comments about turbo/downpipe or if you guys think i am making the right choice on turbo pls chime in, I really appriciate it

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Smart man on going with the GTD1752VRK. :cool:

Where are you located?

Since I'd be willing to bet there's a shop in your area that could weld you up a DP for your car. When you get the turbo or ask ADV for the outer diameter of the compressor inlet and buy the correct 90 degree reducer that goes to your current TIP(if it still fits) and if it doesn't, then again hopefully the shop that can do the DP can also weld you up a custom TIP that goes to your airbox.

You could always check the regional forums on here, VWVortex, and nowadays Facebook if there's anyone out there that could help you out with your project. It's pretty amazing what some guys will do for beer as long as you provide all the materials.:D

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Smart man on going with the GTD1752VRK. :cool:
Where are you located?
Since I'd be willing to bet there's a shop in your area that could weld you up a DP for your car. When you get the turbo or ask ADV for the outer diameter of the compressor inlet and buy the correct 90 degree reducer that goes to your current TIP(if it still fits) and if it doesn't, then again hopefully the shop that can do the DP can also weld you up a custom TIP that goes to your airbox.
You could always check the regional forums on here, VWVortex, and nowadays Facebook if there's anyone out there that could help you out with your project. It's pretty amazing what some guys will do for beer as long as you provide all the materials.:D

I ordered GTD1756VRK instead, it should be here within 1.5 week, from Europe,,2 moths ago after installing ALH bumped up engine from my golf to my jetta ,,, my little VNT15 decided to do a run away couple days ago I guess turbo could not handle all the air that it was breathing from ported head and turbo reached its demise , I believe I stopped My jetta in time and hopefully I did not create a havoc bending my rosten rods, or cracking my ASV pistons or messing up my valves, never had a run away so ill be learning on what to look for on damages,,, id be doing compression test and getting all the oil from cylinder and intercooler out, it is going to be interesting to see once I finish the build how the gtd1756vrk is going to behave, with this engine that I have in my Jetta now I was able to max the 17/22 few years back to 220hp back then engine was on my golf), hopefully I can get this turbo to at least 240-250 hp, engine got the bolts on, it is my daly driver so I got huge ported head dbilas cam, R520 inj, lift pump,, I got 10mm pump I am missing a 11mm pump, and I will be upgrading to RC6.5 on ecu. hopefully it will behave better than the 17/22

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Even though I have a BEW with a PD engine, I'll be watching to see how the GTD1756VRK performs for you. :)

Hopefully you caught it before anything major got damaged in your run away. I hate hearing of that happening to people and it scares me, since I'm running a race pipe on both of my cars. :(

Good luck with the new turbo and fingers crossed that everything is alright inside the engine. :cool:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Even though I have a BEW with a PD engine, I'll be watching to see how the GTD1756VRK performs for you. :)
Hopefully you caught it before anything major got damaged in your run away. I hate hearing of that happening to people and it scares me, since I'm running a race pipe on both of my cars. :(
Good luck with the new turbo and fingers crossed that everything is alright inside the engine. :cool:

having a Egr in your car will not stop the run away, once oil passes egr or race pipe, turning off the engine with the key will not kill the engine, oil acts like fuel already in the cylinder, your only option is to put car in 5th gear and release the clutch to stop it.

I'll be posting results after i install 1756vrk hopefully spools quick as people in Europe report it does

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
having a Egr in your car will not stop the run away, once oil passes egr or race pipe, turning off the engine with the key will not kill the engine, oil acts like fuel already in the cylinder, your only option is to put car in 5th gear and release the clutch to stop it.
I'll be posting results after i install 1756vrk hopefully spools quick as people in Europe report it does
anti shudder valve is just like the emergency air cutoff flap in the intake on a detroit

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
anti shudder valve is just like the emergency air cutoff flap in the intake on a detroit

EGR did not stop my jetta, my 5th gear did, so race pipe and egr do not work when run away is in action

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I received Turbo from E. Europe it looks really nice, it's got an ALH exhaust manifold attached to it, turbo brings the V band and drain hose ready to mate up to block and exhaust, so far so good now i need to install it and put it to the test, I will try to post pic of it, as long as I can figure out how to upload it here again, it's been such a long time since I posted pics here, I should have my Jetta running by next week after trying to figure out who can do my downpipe and air duct pipe from air box. and intercooler pipe.

by the way alh engine looks great no debri went into cylinder and nothing bent as far as I can see.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
It's great to hear that you got the turbo. Who did you buy it from?

As far as putting up pictures on here, the easiest site I've found is https://imgur.com/
They make it pretty easy to upload pictures from your computer(I wouldn't know about from your phone, since I prefer my dual 22" monitors over a 5" screen :p) and then you can click the down arrow to "get share links" and then just copy the BBCode (forums) link and you're all set to paste the picture in your post.

Hopefully you can find some or a shop to help get everything plumed for the new turbo.

Awesome news about the runaway not being as bad as it could be.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought from GOTTUNED.COM ( Poland) nice guys they stay in touch and give you updates on turbo and also great info about performance on other turbos as well.

I still have to test it though, I am already in contact with a muffler shop for the pipes, Ecu is on its way back to me with the remap, so I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
https://gottuned.com/product/gtd175...um-converted-and-welded-onto-stock-1-9-2-0tdi

this is the one I got, and today i was able to put head with turbo and it seems so far that passenger performance down pipe will hook up to turbo, all I need to change is the flange to the V band that Gottuned send to me with the turbo, so far so good, the only thing that 1756vrk does not come with bottom support bracket holding turbo to block, I am going to see if I can weld it to it myself. but everything elselooks good so far.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I had a PD run away on me, too much oil in the IC. The factory PD flapper does a great job of killing the engine, shut the key off and the engine stopped, did scare the crap out of me, :eek:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a PD run away on me, too much oil in the IC. The factory PD flapper does a great job of killing the engine, shut the key off and the engine stopped, did scare the crap out of me, :eek:

did you have any damages after run away? my intercooler when I had my runaway changed its name to oil pan, shoot it was full of oil

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
installed 1756vrk and I have been running it with RC5+ 10mm pump and original pp520s I really do not feel any lag at all it is a fast spool turbo and pulls really hard although I know it is being underfuel with the tune I got, I cant wait until I install 11mm pump and Genuine R520 that I got.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Sounds like you're going to have an awesome setup when you get things dialed in.

Are you planning on putting it on the dyno?

FRtdilover

TDI
2001 4motion ARL 150
installed 1756vrk and I have been running it with RC5+ 10mm pump and original pp520s I really do not feel any lag at all it is a fast spool turbo and pulls really hard although I know it is being underfuel with the tune I got, I cant wait until I install 11mm pump and Genuine R520 that I got.

56mm 8+0 like the oem 52 ?
Can you tell me the power and torque output

gtd1752 is the one I'm fitting to my pd tdi and I'm glad to see that a 56mm comp wheel will keep its responsiveness

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been running it for like 2.5 weeks with 10mm pump and pp520 injectors. I just changed the injectors to R520's I went for a quick loop and I feel the difference but I'm still missing 11mm pump, I will dyno it but until I changed the pump, , my 10mm pump is a good candidate to step up to 11 but it is kind of expensive so in the mean time I'm looking for one

I am blown away to be honest on the quick (initial )spool on this turbo, night and day comparing it to the 17/22, this one feels very close to VNT15 on the sprint spool, but with more guts of course on the top end, even with 10 mm pump spool is so quick instant power, with the tune I got it which I think is very conservative ( RC 5+) is spooling at 32psi max, I am going to be even more surprised im guessing when I change the pump to 11 and dial everything in, builder did an amazing job with these 2nd generation wheels and billet, so far I am more than satisfied with it, more to come though as I go drive it and put it to the test for even more results.

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
[/IMG]

really 1756VRK in action in my Jetta

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Last night I got off from work very late in the AM hrs. and when getting on the freeway Nissan 370 pushed me to do a quick sprint so I finally pushed it and whippd him like nothing, even with 10mm pump 5.5 RC I took him easy,,, I was blown away,,,the spool is so quick and great Mid to top range,, I had most of the old 17 turbos in my tdi cars, but you cant compared this turbo with old technology I am more than satisfied with this turbo, I believe it comes from BMW,

I would like to thank My builder GOTTUNED.com from Poland for carefully helping me picked and put together a great 3rd. gen turbo, great guy and helpful on details

Close up on sprinter GTD1756VRK

Last edited: