www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old August 10th, 2018, 08:54   #1
Kavm

TDI(s): Buying one
Default Diesel fuel question

I am a new 2015 VW Jetta TDI owner. Bought it recently and am very happy with it.

This being my first diesel vehicle, I do have some question about the fuel:
  • I have come across stations selling bio diesel, number 2, and D20. Which types are (a) acceptable, and (b) preferred?
  • With gasoline cars, I'd mainly stick to Shell and also avoid unbranded or lower quality brand stations. Am a bit confused about what to prefer and what to avoid when filling in my Jetta TDI.
  • I read about the cetane value of the fuel being a measure of energy, etc. but have not seen any cetane value listed at the gas station.

I would appreciate any advice or clarity you are able to share. I am sure this question has been discussed before but could not find a thread when trying to find such discussion.

Many thanks!
Kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 09:53   #2
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

For that car I'd keep the biodiesel below 5%. There are stories of higher concentrations gumming up injectors.

Biodiesel was fine in older diesel engines, but in the new ones with 30,000 PSI injection pressures, the injector tips get really hot and I believe the problem is this can cause biodiesel to turn to sludge in the end of the injector.
Old August 10th, 2018, 13:37   #3
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

VW approves up to B5. Never 100% biodiesel. Some states that mandate 20% have approval from VW for its use. In practice most have had no issues with anything under B20. Almost all fuel has at least some bio diesel in it now. Some states don't even require labeling under a certain percent, so you may never know anyway. I wouldn't really worry about it too much and just buy fuel from reputable places with high turnover.

Just forget about cetane for now. Most stations/people/companies won't have a clue or divulge anything other than it meets the minimum standard, even though it is generally well above that. The cars run fine on the available fuel.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 16:28   #4
Kavm

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. I will stay away from biodiesel and try to minimize the percent.
Old August 10th, 2018, 16:39   #5
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Read this and you probably won’t want to touch B20.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/171...f77ab97038.pdf
Old August 10th, 2018, 18:55   #6
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

As for Diesel, I've been driving my 2002 Jetta TDI all over the USA, Canada and Mexico fuelling up at Brand names and unbranded. Never ever had any fuel issues until I switched cars.

Then 2 years ago I bought my 2015 Passat TDI and also use the same fuelling routine without any negative impact.

This includes the past two winter seasons in Mexico where they don't even have ULSD yet, though I've kept my driving in Mexico down to the bare minimum. To and Fro and some driving if I have to.

This December they're supposed switch over to ULSD.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to those saying ONLY buy branded Diesel.
My .02
Old August 10th, 2018, 21:11   #7
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Who told him to buy "branded fuel" only? I see no one here that has.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Old August 10th, 2018, 22:28   #8
Kavm

Thank you so much! I will stick to non-bio diesel, as I have done so far.
Old August 10th, 2018, 23:07   #9
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_04GolfTDI View Post
Read this and you probably won’t want to touch B20.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/171...f77ab97038.pdf
That linked page was done in Malaysia using Palm biodiesel. I don't think you will find any of that here. The results there are not necessarily transferable to the use of US biodiesel. All biodiesel is not created equal. A small percentage (2%) is actually good for the engine for lubricity purposes. VW even approves of 5% or less. So I wouldn't shy away necessarily from it. You will probably use some no matter what you do anyway (unknowingly, it isn't even required to be listed in some circumstances). Many, many people in the states that mandate 20% bio use it without issue as well. So avoid it if you want to but it is a unnecessary endeavor for the most part.

2015 Beetle TDI.