www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 28th, 2018, 14:27   #1
touaregv10tdi
Veteran Member
 
touaregv10tdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Midwest -USA St Louis area
Question 2000 beetle tdi no start

Hello friends,
I bought a 2000 TDI as a project car. Previous owner said it does not start.
It had some after market valet key.
I bought a key from fixmyvw.com, programmed the new key no issues, I got rid of the message incorrect key.
The car still not start. I matched a new ECU to the cluster, now I do not have the car/key icon flashing anymore, but still no start. I followed all the procedures, from Ross Tech and from the forums. Still no start. Below is the message I get from VCDS.
Does anybody have any clue/tips how do I get this car started?

Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-012-AGR.clb
Part No: 038 906 012 N
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC G000SG 2509
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 00066
VCID:

3 Faults Found:
17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
P1570 - 35-10 - - Intermittent
18050 - Please check DTC Memory of Airbag Controller
P1642 - 35-00 -
18050 - Please check DTC Memory of Airbag Controller
P1642 - 35-00 -
Readiness: 0 0 1 1 1
__________________
MY FLEET :2005 JETTA TDi /2013 NEW BEETLE TDi/ 2003 BMW X5 AWD /2015 PASSAT TDI DSG TRANS./2000 Beetle TDi Manual/ 2002 Beetle TDi Auto.




touaregv10tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 18:39   #2
Mongler98
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern MD
Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg
Default

Do us a favor and google your codes

for instance. i quickly googled "17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer "

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...8/P1570/005488
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 18:50   #3
touaregv10tdi
Veteran Member
 
touaregv10tdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Midwest -USA St Louis area
Default No start

Dude I am a veteran on these forum, I know how to google, I even contacted Ross-tech,
I am stumped as nothing works, I get the same immobilizer code every time. I don't know what else to do to get rid for this code that is why I posted here.

I lived out of this page, but still nothing http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer
__________________
MY FLEET :2005 JETTA TDi /2013 NEW BEETLE TDi/ 2003 BMW X5 AWD /2015 PASSAT TDI DSG TRANS./2000 Beetle TDi Manual/ 2002 Beetle TDi Auto.




touaregv10tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 18:55   #4
Mongler98
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern MD
Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg
Default

ok, well it seems that the key fix did not resolve this. isnt there a bypass you can do on the security system like the mk3's? did you try it? its a jumper on a wire behind the vent. not sure about the compatibility of that fix on this car but its worth a shot! Also does it crank at all? how is the TDC markings?
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 18:58   #5
drucifer
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: fredericksburg virginia
Default

Have you considered doing an immobilizer delete on one of your ecus ?
drucifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 19:28   #6
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member
Default

Have an immo delete done then cover the flashing immo light with black electric tape or paint the bulb black. Did this on my daughters beetle, works like a charm.

Even the valet key will work after the delete. My daughter uses that more than the ones with the fob.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 19:41   #7
Mongler98
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern MD
Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg
Default

im sure we dont have to tell you but, just checking, you are doing a fluid flush and change with a timing belt job right? never get a used TDI with out doing this first before putting miles on it.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 20:03   #8
touaregv10tdi
Veteran Member
 
touaregv10tdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Midwest -USA St Louis area
Default Beetle no start

Yes,
Any used car I get it only becomes a daily driver after at least a month in my garage for updating everything,
From clutch to timing belts to fluids etc.
I bought two beetles to work on this spring.
This one is giving me a headache.
__________________
MY FLEET :2005 JETTA TDi /2013 NEW BEETLE TDi/ 2003 BMW X5 AWD /2015 PASSAT TDI DSG TRANS./2000 Beetle TDi Manual/ 2002 Beetle TDi Auto.




touaregv10tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 20:04   #9
AndyBees
Veteran Member
 
AndyBees's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Southeast Kentucky
Default

Wow!

This has been my experience with using the wrong key.... engine starts and then shuts down immediately!

I recently picked up an ECU at the junk yard for dirt cheap. To give it a bit of a Test, I plugged it to the ALH system in my Vanagon. Hit the ignition, started immediately but shut down. Seems it did give the same code which I cleared.

OP, have you deleted the codes? Sometimes deleting old codes clears up the thinking of the ECU ....

I suppose you've checked the mechanical timing and that sort a thing. Do you know how long it has been since it last was a running engine?

There may be other issues, such as fuel related, IP may need primed, injector lines bled, etc... just kind of grasping at straws with these questions/comments!
__________________
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 04:22   #10
touaregv10tdi
Veteran Member
 
touaregv10tdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Midwest -USA St Louis area
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
Wow!

This has been my experience with using the wrong key.... engine starts and then shuts down immediately!

I recently picked up an ECU at the junk yard for dirt cheap. To give it a bit of a Test, I plugged it to the ALH system in my Vanagon. Hit the ignition, started immediately but shut down. Seems it did give the same code which I cleared.

OP, have you deleted the codes? Sometimes deleting old codes clears up the thinking of the ECU ....

I suppose you've checked the mechanical timing and that sort a thing. Do you know how long it has been since it last was a running engine?

There may be other issues, such as fuel related, IP may need primed, injector lines bled, etc... just kind of grasping at straws with these questions/comments!

Replacing the ECU alone does not solve the issue. You need to introduce the ECU to the cluster by using VCDS. Your issue seems easier than mine. In my case the car does not start. I have tried to prime the injection pump and fuel system but fuel does not come out if I lose all the lines or unplug the return line. I believe the immobilizer cuts the fuel using the fuel solenoid.
I think the car has not run in about one year.
__________________
MY FLEET :2005 JETTA TDi /2013 NEW BEETLE TDi/ 2003 BMW X5 AWD /2015 PASSAT TDI DSG TRANS./2000 Beetle TDi Manual/ 2002 Beetle TDi Auto.




touaregv10tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 07:50   #11
AndyBees
Veteran Member
 
AndyBees's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Southeast Kentucky
Default

I didn't have an issue. I was only "testing" a junk yard ECU (it was unplugged and exposed to the elements at the junk yard). It did as it was supposed to do.... start and shut down. I opened it up ... nice and clean inside! So, I have a good spare that needs the immobilizer delete!

Have you checked voltage at the solenoid? When the ignition is first turned ON, there should be 12 volts....... then, voltage will drop off almost immediately! That is normal.

I'm thinking the immobilizer does more than shut-off fuel if it senses a no-match on the ignition key!
__________________
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 08:21   #12
touaregv10tdi
Veteran Member
 
touaregv10tdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Midwest -USA St Louis area
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
I didn't have an issue. I was only "testing" a junk yard ECU (it was unplugged and exposed to the elements at the junk yard). It did as it was supposed to do.... start and shut down. I opened it up ... nice and clean inside! So, I have a good spare that needs the immobilizer delete!

Have you checked voltage at the solenoid? When the ignition is first turned ON, there should be 12 volts....... then, voltage will drop off almost immediately! That is normal.

I'm thinking the immobilizer does more than shut-off fuel if it senses a no-match on the ignition key!
I will check the voltage at the solenoid later on. As for the key, it is now programmed and correct key, I have programmed it via VCDS, the logs show no issue with the keys. The remote locks and unlocks the car, I do not have that car/key icon flashing in my dash anymore, but still no start.

The icon above the 80MPH used to be flashing, not anymore (this is not my cluster it is for illustration only)

__________________
MY FLEET :2005 JETTA TDi /2013 NEW BEETLE TDi/ 2003 BMW X5 AWD /2015 PASSAT TDI DSG TRANS./2000 Beetle TDi Manual/ 2002 Beetle TDi Auto.





Last edited by touaregv10tdi; January 29th, 2018 at 08:25.
touaregv10tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 09:03   #13
maxmoo
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lakefield, Ontario, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by touaregv10tdi View Post
Replacing the ECU alone does not solve the issue. You need to introduce the ECU to the cluster by using VCDS. Your issue seems easier than mine. In my case the car does not start. I have tried to prime the injection pump and fuel system but fuel does not come out if I lose all the lines or unplug the return line. I believe the immobilizer cuts the fuel using the fuel solenoid.
I think the car has not run in about one year.
It sounds to me like you solved the imobilizer issue but now you still have a loss of prime issue from sitting so long.

Did you pull a vacuum from the inj pump return line, (while blocking off the return line fitting on the filter), until you get steady fuel and then bleeding the inj lines at the injectors by cranking the engine over until fuel squirts out around the loosened 17mm nuts?

Last edited by maxmoo; January 29th, 2018 at 09:05.
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 09:08   #14
touaregv10tdi
Veteran Member
 
touaregv10tdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Midwest -USA St Louis area
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmoo View Post
It sounds to me like you solved the imobilizer issue but now you still have a loss of prime issue from sitting so long.

Did you pull a vacuum from the inj pump return line, (while blocking off the return line fitting on the filter), until you get steady fuel and then bleeding the inj lines at the injectors by cranking the engine over until fuel squirts out around the loosened 17mm nuts?
I have not tried that yet, but what puzzles me is the code I get from the ECU 17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
__________________
MY FLEET :2005 JETTA TDi /2013 NEW BEETLE TDi/ 2003 BMW X5 AWD /2015 PASSAT TDI DSG TRANS./2000 Beetle TDi Manual/ 2002 Beetle TDi Auto.




touaregv10tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 09:47   #15
touaregv10tdi
Veteran Member
 
touaregv10tdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Midwest -USA St Louis area
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmoo View Post
Did you pull a vacuum from the inj pump return line, (while blocking off the return line fitting on the filter)

Can you explain in detail this procedure? Are there any pictures out there? I am not sure I am understanding 100%, I want to try that next.
__________________
MY FLEET :2005 JETTA TDi /2013 NEW BEETLE TDi/ 2003 BMW X5 AWD /2015 PASSAT TDI DSG TRANS./2000 Beetle TDi Manual/ 2002 Beetle TDi Auto.




touaregv10tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2000 Beetle Tdi non start JC396 VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 6 May 6th, 2015 20:36
2000 tdi beetle stalled, won't start, possible jelling? Besouro TDI 101 6 February 8th, 2014 11:58
2000 TDI Beetle cranks, won't start dcmtdi VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 42 August 2nd, 2012 19:00
2000 TDI Beetle will not start. drartoff TDI 101 1 February 16th, 2012 16:19
*parts/project Car* 2000 Beetle Tdi W/99 Beetle Tdi Engine+auto Tranny - $2000 LUI-G TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted 3 August 20th, 2008 22:39


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.17745 seconds with 13 queries
[Output: 132.77 Kb. compressed to 111.13 Kb. by saving 21.64 Kb. (16.30%)]