Glow Plug Harness Replacement

Linc_39

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I just replaced all four glow plugs with the OEM plugs and the harness crumbled in my hand so I ordered a new one of those now. From researching, I see they don't have a connector and they need to be wired in. How big of a job is this and does anyone have a tech tips.

Ps. It's a 2006 Jetta with the BRM and 60k miles. it will not start unless it's above 17 degrees. Brand new battery too. No warning lights. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I’ve done a few of those. I usually wire it into the harness nice and super clean and wrap with fabric tape like OE. I just bought a car that the dealer replaced the harness recently on. I’ll take a pic of how they did it. Seems to work fine. I solder and shrink wrap while this car seems to have butt connectors.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Yes, I used butt connectors, and made the connection as close to the main wiring harness "T" as I could, so I would have as much wire slack as possible from the new harness. Wrapped the connectors using shrink tubes, and tie wraps to keep the wire slack out of the way.

The new harness made a dramatic improvement in the cold starting. The plugs certainly was not getting the proper voltage.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I use the same style heat shrink butt connectors VAG recommends (for best results they require a specific type of crimp tool, and of course a heat gun).

How do you know you have a glow system problem? The BRMs' glow system is pretty good, and if there was a problem, you'd have a nice orange MIL staring you in the face.

I only ask because every winter, people instantly blame the glow system on hard/no start conditions, when there are lots of other things that can cause this, and if there is no MIL on, there is no glow system problem.

Linc_39

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I use the same style heat shrink butt connectors VAG recommends (for best results they require a specific type of crimp tool, and of course a heat gun).
How do you know you have a glow system problem? The BRMs' glow system is pretty good, and if there was a problem, you'd have a nice orange MIL staring you in the face.
I only ask because every winter, people instantly blame the glow system on hard/no start conditions, when there are lots of other things that can cause this, and if there is no MIL on, there is no glow system problem.
I am not sure there is a problem with the glow plug system. There's no MIL on but it will not start when cold so I thought I would start with the glow plugs. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
A lot of the time the rubber is so rotted and crumbles into so many pieces that you cannot possibly ‘glue’ it back together, even if you like hack jobs.

theroyztdi

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The ends of mine just fell apart while trying to take it off to test my glow plugs. The rest of the harness seems to be in decent shape. Are the ends supposed to come off?

Obviously, they aren't supposed to come off. I may try to put them back on and secure them with electrical tape and heat shrink tubing. If that doesn't work I will order a new harness.

Last edited:

Kiingsloth

TDI

Hi!

i would like some of your help, I can’t figure out where to splice the wire. Do they glow plug harness go directly to the relay?
( ). this is an mk5,1.9tdi, 2008. BXJ ENGINE. It has open circuit on all 4 glowplug.

should I splice it near the relay or near the start of the glow plug harness. Also which one of those wire goes to the harness? 😅