Should I keep my 2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagon?

2texans

TDI
2011 TDI SportWagon
We have had our new to us 2011 Jetta Sportwagon TDI with the DSG (Doesn't Shift Good) transmission For 3 months and 7000 miles, and the car now has 18,000 miles on it.

Please understand that i'm not trying to slam this thing, i'm just trying to decide if it's prudent to keep it.

I absolutely love the huge sunroof, the way it drives and handles, the engine torque and the station wagon cargo capacity plus the fuel economy.

As much as we love this thing, we were surprised at the cost of routine maintenance and the need for a $400 transmission service every 40000 miles.

Unfortunately we have had multiple brake downs that required towing on our just completed 5000 mile vacation trip that required rental cars and ultimately require that we cut the trip short.

In the short period of our ownership, the air conditioning compressor was replaced, the DSG clutch packs replace, a new battery installed and today a new mechatronic unit is being installed. We have yet to find a fix for the dash information center clearing all of the settings and mileage info on a random masis.

Reading the online postings on a wide verity of DSG transmissions problems, I wonder what I have gotten myself into. If my experience is anywhere typical, the DSG seems like it requires a high level of service and is anything but robust.

The VW service centers have been very helpful and everything has been covered under warranty. The fact that both service centers had to contact VW for explanation of the trouble codes and the parts required shipping makes me think the issues my not happen frequently enough that they would stock the parts.

So, is our experience common, or is it the exception.:confused:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
It's the exception. Have you looked at lemon laws in Texas? Perhaps you could press the dealer and VWOA to give you special consideration on a trade-in?

Lolas Dad

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
It might be a $400 service for the DSG at the stealership but if you were to take it for service of the DSG to a trusted mechanic from the list in this forum then it would probably be less.

I'll be having an 80K mile service soon and the cost will be about $500 and that includes everything that needs to be done including the DSG service as well as the filters and fluid. The oil change and air filter as well as cabin filter are included. It also includes a brake fluid change.

As to whether or not you should keep it, that is a decision that you will have to make.

BenzBob

TDI
2014 Passat TSI SE
I wonder the same thing with my 2013 VW Jetta TDI. It now has 5,200 miles on it and has broken down twice requiring leaving me stranded and requiring towing.

The first time the KESSY module had issues and I could not start the vehicle. The second time, the brake pedal went to the floor without any braking requiring replacement of the Master Brake Cylinder. Each time (and this happened at two different VW dealerships) they had to call VW and ask them what to do. Each time, VW told the dealership that they had seen this problem before and told them what part to replace. Each time the dealership did not have the replacement part in stock and had to order it.

Sorry, but I did not buy a new car to have the thing breaking down and leaving me stranded and then having to go through all the hassle of having the vehicle repaired and being without it for days.

All I wonder is what is going to go wrong next. I am almost afraid to drive the vehicle out of town so now drive my 2006 Mercedes (which I never had one issue with) when I travel on a trip.

I guess it just doesn't get any better than this and am also thinking about getting rid of this car. I told my wife, three strikes and your are out! If something else goes wrong and leaves me stranded the car needs to go bye-bye and find a new home.

vwdiesel101

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH 5 SPEED
look up lemon laws in your area, hard to say what will happen as you have 2 years on the car. i dont understand your concern about this 400 dollars? it only would cost you once every 4 years, big deal? Dont understand the logic that this 400 dollar repair is making you decide to get rid of the vehicle( besides the fact that your first car payment on a new car is going to be more than that)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I would say, if you don't like or trust the car, then get rid of it. There are too many excellent cars available, including other Jetta TDI Sportwagons with a manual transmission which don't require an expensive 40k-mile servicing.

socrates42

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI pkg 1
We have had our DSG completely replaced, and had HPFP failure requiring the whole fuel system to be changed. Thankfully both were under warranty. The way I see it; anything that could break has been replaced. I had my 2006 for 160k and I plan on keeping my 09 for about the same.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Doesn't $400 DSG service@ 40,000 miles equate to $0.01/mile? Not bad, considering the average U.S. cost to operate a car on the road is around $0.50/mile.:rolleyes:

ALLTORQUEDUP!

TDI
2012 jetta sedan
I don't know why everyone spends so much on a 40k service, a couple hundred on parts, a few hours and get it done yourself! I changed my oil, fuel filter, rotated tires, and DSG service start to finish in 3 hours, and no I'm not a VW technician. The minor maintenance can be done by ANYONE, all info and help is available on this forum.

csb

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 Jetta TDI's, 2000 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat TDI
In light of the cold, hard fact that today's new(er) cars are built more than ever before to be replaced rather than repaired, my vote is to dump the thing before things get really ugly for you. Admittedly, I'm a relative caveman...still living in the early 1990's to early 2000's when I could drive a European car 200-300K with no significant issues. I mean...my 1991 Audi 200 20v has 383K on its original clutch, engine and transmission, for crying out loud, and they all perform flawlessly. Today's supposed automotive technological advancements spell nothing more than "Cha-ching!" to me. I'll keep my older stuff.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
In light of the cold, hard fact that today's new(er) cars are built more than ever before to be replaced rather than repaired, my vote is to dump the thing before things get really ugly for you. Admittedly, I'm a relative caveman...still living in the early 1990's to early 2000's when I could drive a European car 200-300K with no significant issues. I mean...my 1991 Audi 200 20v has 383K on its original clutch, engine and transmission, for crying out loud, and they all perform flawlessly. Today's supposed automotive technological advancements spell nothing more than "Cha-ching!" to me. I'll keep my older stuff.
Amen. I like my VE pump!

Some cars just have nasty personalities. The OP's car sounds like it has some sort of nasty electrical issue that is stumping the dealer - that is NOT going to get better with age. They will keep trying things till the warranty is over and then wave goodbye.