TDIFest 2010, the location is Portland, OR

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Left Coast Resident said:
Soooooooooo, how do you feel about that?????
I'm fine. Zippy's frequent "Oh, how I miss being back east" in the North East regional forum may just be attempting to reassure those of us that live here that WE are the wise ones,
but that could be all a ruse.

I tell people to not use biodiesel just so I can keep more for myself.;)

For a similar selfish reason her "I can't wait to get back east" missives might be aimed at convincing us to stay here and not to overcrowd her new home.

Surferchick2

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2013 Golf
Well, that makes sense. I have to spend have my time in so cal, so I tell them how awful, disgusting and backward the PNW is so the population stays down there....and these are my friends. LOL!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Hamsterdiesel said:
Just curious - Fred, are you DRIVING to the Fest this year?
I think I can handle the 6 hour drive vs flying and being at yet another TDIFest without a TDI.;) This will make the 3rd time I've driving a TDI to TDIFest, or just over 25%.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Lug_Nut said:
I'm fine. Zippy's frequent "Oh, how I miss being back east" in the North East regional forum may just be attempting to reassure those of us that live here that WE are the wise ones,

I tell people to not use biodiesel just so I can keep more for myself.;)

For a similar selfish reason her "I can't wait to get back east" missives might be aimed at convincing us to stay here and not to overcrowd her new home.

Finally you're figuring it out. When people ask how it is to live in Portland I say it sucks unbelievably. We have enough transplanted 'hep' kids as it is. I want to be able to go to bars/nightclubs and not be over run by people in weird pants (looking at you, East coasters).

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
JetPuf said:
Has anyone with alternate transportation thought to put their car on a train or truck, then fly out here, pick up their car, and drive it back??
I looked into transporting my car last year from Mpls to DC and found it would be about $700 each way and could take a week each way.

Congrat's to the Portland crew. This should be fun, Saturday Market, visiting Oceanside, and driving the gorge.

Last edited:

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
Cool I will be there with my Passat, might even have to bring the big sprinter van one day and show off the interior and veggie oil kit installed in it :D.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It always amuses me about how folks who live on one coast or another feel they should defend where they live. Folks in the west feel they've seen the light, folks in the east feel they've got better everything (but weather, perhaps).

I lived in CA for a couple of years before most of you were born, have in-laws out there, and have traveled to most of the cities in the west many, many times. Although I understand why people like to live there, I, like many New Englanders (about 75%) prefer to stay where I'm from. I'd be loathe to defend New England or berate SF, Portland, Seattle, or even LA.

Zippy, enjoy it out there. And enjoy here when you come back to visit. Best of both worlds!

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
VW Derf said:
I think I can handle the 6 hour drive vs flying and being at yet another TDIFest without a TDI.;) This will make the 3rd time I've driving a TDI to TDIFest, or just over 25%.
Surely there will be a Metro Vancouver convoy. Looking forward to my first fest.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
IndigoBlueWagon said:
It always amuses me about how folks who live on one coast or another feel they should defend where they live. Folks in the west feel they've seen the light, folks in the east feel they've got better everything (but weather, perhaps).

I lived in CA for a couple of years before most of you were born, have in-laws out there, and have traveled to most of the cities in the west many, many times. Although I understand why people like to live there, I, like many New Englanders (about 75%) prefer to stay where I'm from. I'd be loathe to defend New England or berate SF, Portland, Seattle, or even LA.

Zippy, enjoy it out there. And enjoy here when you come back to visit. Best of both worlds!
I've lived for fairly long periods of time on both coasts (east and west). Both had their good and bad points. Now I am a Texan and staying neural.:p

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
But are you coming to Fest?

Maybe I need to head back out west... :-/

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
vw4life said:
Surely there will be a Metro Vancouver convoy. Looking forward to my first fest.
I can imagine that one. Jeez- like 30 TDI's all in a row :eek: I hope someone takes a pic or two hanging out the window...

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
BleachedBora said:
But are you coming to Fest?

Maybe I need to head back out west... :-/
You know, I may just take that trip as I will be semi-retired and have relatives in the Bay area, Palm Springs and Florence, OR. ;)

Lug_Nut

TDI
aja8888 said:
Now I am a Texan and staying neural.
Neural, eh? Is that some Freudian reference to "I must have lost my mind"?:D

Oh, You have a B5.5 with the BHW engine? That proves the point!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
vw4life said:
I sure hope so. We need to keep our "Canadian Content" up. Out east it has been the Ontario and Quebec guys doing this job, but this year it falls to us in the west. Hopefully some Canadian neigbours to the east (AB or even SK?) will join us.
Myself, I might head down a bit early and not be able to be part of a convoy.:(

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Lug_Nut said:
Neural, eh? Is that some Freudian reference to "I must have lost my mind"?:D

Oh, You have a B5.5 with the BHW engine? That proves the point!
"I must have lost my mind"?

I would suppose that means I am in the B5.5 club here that falls into that catagory you reference. But, then again, the Lexus boards are pretty boring.. :D

Last edited:

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Fred, I may leave early too in case there is a need for more help...in which case we have a small convoy!
Bruce

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Bummer about the drag racing at PIR, and as always Zippy you could not be more on top of things, long time ago I found out what you were capable of, so no new surprises for me anymore.

This is a post about our great TDI Fest coming up on 2010, and for the 1st time is going to be in West Coast, this is by no means about arguing which city is better,,, let's support the fest and show up with our support and friendship among all of us.

Hopefully we could also get a caravan coming from Calif. and we could take pics. it would be nice to post them with all the TDI cars coming from all angles, maybe we all could have a competition which caravan has more cars.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
Holy crap this is exciting news! I'm certainly going to put it on my schedule. By the way I drove (alone) from the shore of the Pacific to Buffalo, New York in only 4 days this past summer. It's a great drive in a TDI so come on out you Midwesterners & Right Coasters. You can do it in only a few days... each way of course! My sincere thanks to all you organizers. :)

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Lug_Nut said:
LOL - once again, a misinterpretation. I miss the [universe] people back east, not the general population or the natural environment. :p
You're all right tho, both areas do have their positives and negatives. I miss both for different reasons when I'm away from either side. But I am really looking forward to seeing what sort of uniquely left coast aspects we can bring to this years fest, to... entice folks to come out for a visit from all over! :D

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
Keli_OR said:
And decent bagels you don't have to search around for. According to my husband, no decent bagels exist outside of the greater NYC area.:eek: Same goes for pizza.;)
:rolleyes:
Keli
Well, not exactly...good bagels are no problem here, great pizza as well. Bialys on the other hand......

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
aja8888 said:
........relatives in the Bay area, Palm Springs and Florence, OR. ;)
Those are three of the best places to visit on the west coast. Hope to see you at the fest Partner!

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
For 3 of us it will be # 11. Hmmm I gotta start early and get the 100% Fest participant there on time.

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Lug_Nut said:
I actually like New England better than almost anyplace I've ever been, that's why it's 'home' for me.
So, like most New Englanders you've obviously never been anywhere else in your life! :D :D :D :D

I'm so excited about this 'fest! I am a relative newbie to the TDI scene, but this is such an awesome place to be it is easy to get addicted!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE organizers, call on me, or let me know if there is ANYTHING you need help with.

Also, is it too early to start a Lower Mainland/WA State convey thread in the Western regional forum? I'm happy to get that going, just give me the
when I'm good to go on that. If someone else has already started point me to where I can help!

Best of luck to you guys, and we'll see all y'all there!!!
-Chris

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
blizzard60 said:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE organizers, call on me, or let me know if there is ANYTHING you need help with.

Also, is it too early to start a Lower Mainland/WA State convey thread in the Western regional forum? I'm happy to get that going, just give me the
when I'm good to go on that. If someone else has already started point me to where I can help!
Chris, Thanks for the offer of help! don't worry, we'll be callin' on you and others to step up to volunteer for helping out at fest. As planning gets ramped up we'll start posting more about what's happening, so keep you're eyes peeled.

It's never to early to get a convoy thread going. Work up the excitement level for people to attend! the more the merrier. It's always awesome to see a large crew of TDI's pulling into the parking lot together and traveling on the highway together! Go for it! :)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
blizzard60 said:
So, like most New Englanders you've obviously never been anywhere else in your life! :D :D :D :D -Chris
Chris, we applaud your "relative newbie" enthusiasm, but that above will get you in dutch here..:D

Tony (original CT born and raised)

Previous addresses:

Florida, California (twice), Michigan, Missouri (twice), Illinois, Texas, Pennsylvania, Europe (twice), Far East...I think there are others not coming to mind.

s4phillips

Veteran Member
Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific
TDI
2002 Beetle, 2005 Passat Variant-DOA blunt force trama, 2014 Beetle-went home
aja8888 said:
........relatives in the Bay area, Palm Springs and Florence, OR. ;)
tothemax said:
Those are three of the best places to visit on the west coast. Hope to see you at the fest Partner!
...and Mount Rainier, Mount St Helens, Crater Lake, Mount Hood, and the list goes on... hum, guess I am missing the texture (varied terrain) living in Texas.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Ok....we will see how it goes...with luck, a good number of Right coasters will be there...after all....so few Lefty's have made it to Fests on the Right coast...we have to show them up!!:D And weird pants? Where did that come from....we are the sharp dressers! But going to fest without a car is a drag.... but I'll do it...unlike so many folk on the OTHER side of the country.:eek::D I suggest you guys be ready and bring out our best! Dont forget....yoiu have to Convince Tomo...and that wont be easy.....ESPECIALLY since there are in fact two Right coast transplants there...

Now...to rent a Subaru....or a Chevy...and drive them to Tdifest from the airport..... Oy!! You see what I have sunken to....I hope this is worth it!:eek::D

Lug_Nut

TDI
blizzard60 said:
So, like most New Englanders you've obviously never been anywhere else in your life! :D :D :D :D
I'm glad that your emoticons show that you recognize why I said that there are few places outside of New England I'd consider calling home.
From 1988 to 2006 I was a field service technician for several companies. I spent about 35 weeks a year on the road for each of them. I've been and seen enough of this (and other countries and continents) to recognize that I have what suits me right here.
Especially during this Thanksgiving holiday period, I'm thankful that I am here, where it all started.
I know (a little hamster told me) of at least one Fred's member from that purported wonderland of the west coast that flew east to New England for the Thanksgiving holiday.....;)