New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
kidd38s said:
...I will admit there's been a closet enviromentalist living inside for awhile (although aware it might be a hoax, the s4 does have a terrapass, haha). Between the tdi's potential for both performance and long distances without dino juice...
Without dino juice? You'd better stick to dino and stay away from any biodiesel blend greater than B02 or maybe B05.

For one thing, B05 has been the limit for warranty coverage since 2004 -- you will lose your warranty for fuel-related issues if you use any higher blend.

Secondly, take a look at how the diesel particulate filter (DPF) works in the new common-rail (CR) engine. Periodically, fuel is injected but not combusted in the cylinder head -- it passes through to the DPF and burns there and burns up the collected soot at the same time.

But uncombusted fuel has a tendency to stick to the upper surfaces of the cylinder linings and can be scraped down into the lower parts of the engine, where it mixes with the engine oil.

Dino diesel, ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD), when it contaminates engine oil is not good, but most oils still work fine with a certain amount of fuel contamination. Biodiesel is worse than dino. And fuel contamination is likely to be higher in the CR engines than in the earlier engines.

So anyone considering the use of high blends of biodiesel MUST plan on very frequent oil changes. Considering that the required motor oils are around $7/liter, then figure on around $35 for each oil change leaving a little bit for topping up. If you're running biodiesel, instead of 5k-10k-20k-30k mile oil change intervals (OCI), you might be looking at 3k-6k-10k-15k-20k-25k miles OCI. Or maybe even more frequently... used-oil analysis (UOA) will let you know.

Your best bet for long engine life is to avoid biodiesel entirely in the CR engines. Otherwise you are looking at frequent and expensive oil changes.

I wonder if anyone planning on going for a test drive can see if there's an owners' manual in the glovebox. If so, see what VW is saying about biodiesel -- there should be additional warnings beyond what was said in previous manuals.

cujo

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Hello, my name is Cujo and I am new to this forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I recently traded in my Nissan Frontier for an '08 VW Jetta(Wolfsburg edition). No, it's not a TDI...but I did take over my fiance's '05 Jetta TDI and gave her the new one. We wanted an '08 TDI but none were available at the time. Anyhow, I love the TDI and it's fuel economy. I love mountain biking so I'm going to have to order a reese hitch for it so I can use a bike rack. For now, I can just fold down the rear seat and take the wheels off my bike and it just fits, but it's not something I want to do all the time.

Last edited:

new to tdi

TDI
none
TDI vs regular Jetta

Hello- my name is Susan and I'm new to the forum.

I test drove the 2009 Jetta tdi today and was impressed with everything except the listed gas mileage (31/44). I was expecting a diesel to get significantly better mileage than the regular Jetta. I'd really appreciate opinions as to whether or not it is worth spending the extra $2000 o purchase the diesel jetta.It may be signficant to note that I drive average of 15,00 miles per year and plan to keep this vehicle for a long period of time (6 years or more). Most of my driving is city driving with lots of stops and starts. I was thinking the Jetta tdi would average about 40mpg but according to the sticker this isn't accurate. Do you think I could expect to get this kind of mileage on a regular basis?

Even the car salesman couldn't answer my questions. Plus, he doesn't know when the dealership will be receiving the TDI's or even the regular 2009 Jettas. I currently drive a 2005 Buick Lacrosse but am looking forward to a smaller vehicle. I had a Jetta as a loaner car while mine was in the shop last year and instantly fell in love with it. Jettas are so much more fun to drive than my Buick.

Thanks for any advice - I really appreciate it!! :D

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
new to tdi said:
Hello- my name is Susan and I'm new to the forum.

I test drove the 2009 Jetta tdi today and was impressed with everything except the listed gas mileage (31/44). I was expecting a diesel to get significantly better mileage than the regular Jetta. I'd really appreciate opinions as to whether or not it is worth spending the extra $2000 o purchase the diesel jetta.It may be signficant to note that I drive average of 15,00 miles per year and plan to keep this vehicle for a long period of time (6 years or more). Most of my driving is city driving with lots of stops and starts. I was thinking the Jetta tdi would average about 40mpg but according to the s
Welcome to TDI Club, Susan.

The EPA rating for the 2009 TDI is likely to understate what most owners will actually get. There's a thread in the TDI News forum that discusses this issue. The independent lab test came back with 38 mpg city and 44 mpg highway.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=216928

TDIs are great road cars, and are not really optimal for city driving -- that's where hybrids really shine.

The extra price for the TDI engine is really irrelevant.... they hold their resale value. You pay $2000 more when new, you $2000 or $3000 or $4000 more back if/when you sell or trade.

Last edited:

justgray

TDI
03 tdi jetta 97 jetta diesel
fresh newbe

Hi everyone! Own a 03 jetta tdi and love it,100000kms and looking up tb change and what tools are required to lock cam and hold to tdc. I have done some gas engines,but not a tdi. The 03 gets around 45mpg with an auto trans,but my son bought a 97 jetta diesel 5 spd and only gets 37 mpg with 250kms.We are running stanadyne fuel cond.on both jettas and the 97 is improving some.I have had good improvements with this additive on highway trucks,especialy on mack engines. Just some food for thought.

wczorn

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Gl TDI 5 SPD
TDI tb change tools

justgray said:
Hi everyone! Own a 03 jetta tdi and love it,100000kms and looking up tb change and what tools are required to lock cam and hold to tdc. I have done some gas engines,but not a tdi. The 03 gets around 45mpg with an auto trans,but my son bought a 97 jetta diesel 5 spd and only gets 37 mpg with 250kms.We are running stanadyne fuel cond.on both jettas and the 97 is improving some.I have had good improvements with this additive on highway trucks,especialy on mack engines. Just some food for thought.
Check the tb change article in the "Articles" section of the TDIClub forums
regarding what tools you need. Check Dieselgeek and Metalnerd for the tools.

http://www.metalnerd.com/

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/StoreFront

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
justgray said:
In addtion to the TB, you might look at getting new injector nozzles for the older car; improving the spray/atomizing pattern back to new (or better) could bring your mileage up. Nozzle cleaners can only do so much.

I addition, check your timing, when hot, and ensure it is at the upper limit on the VAG-COM graph.

DanG

goosee1113

TDI
2002 jetta tdi
2002 jetta glow plug # 3 failure

I want to first thank wingnut for all the information regarding replacing
your glow plugs, testing the relay, and cleaning your harness. I am in the process of doing this job thanks for your input. I've ordered all the parts and just waiting to install them. Does anyone know how the light for the glow plug works on the dash? Does it come on only when it's below 45 degrees or lower outside or is it suppose to come on each time the key starts the car? I have an o9763 error gow plug #3 and I noticed the glow plug light doesn't come on at all during the warmer weather.Is this normal?
my car has 90k on it and have decided to change all 4 plugs. Is it recommened to use never seize on the new plugs? Does anyone have a 2002 tdi jetta with a major water leak? I bought this car off a 1 year lease mint condition but since owning the car it leaks water in from where no idea. seems to be worse in the winter months. The carpet is always wet under the driver side mat really bad. Anyone with any input would be great.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
If you have a moon roof the leak is almost certainly the moon roof front drivers side drain.

A tube is supposed to run down the inside of the front right (A) pillar and out a squeeze nipple mounted in the door opening. Look along the front edge of the body where the door opening is, with the door open. See a bit of rubber there? There should be a hose attached to the back of that, but I bet there is not.

Sometimes, with patience, you can pull the rubber out, fish around behind it with a wire, snag the tube, gently pull it out and re-attach it to the nipple, then reinstall the nipple. Take care not to pull it off off the roof drain at the top.

Contact member K45 if you have any questions on the roof drain. He has successfully done this.

goosee1113

TDI
2002 jetta tdi
water leak

DanG144 Hey thanks for the information on the drains in the door. Both sides were disconnected . I fixed both of them. The connection where the hose meets the fitting in the door is very loose . I pulled it out far enough and wrapped electrical tape on it. I was really thinking about selling the car because of this problem. not anymore. Got any info on the glow plug light in the dash? Thanks again

chopprs

TDI
2003 Jetta w/Audi R8 Wheels
Bearing Noise

Hi guys, I am a newbie here and I guess this is where I start. I just bought a 1999 Beetle GLS-TDI for the wife to drive for work. Her other car is an '83 Mercedes 300CD. I am actually a moderator on the Schuman Automotive site. She loves the car and I think it is kinda neeto! Someone has taken quite good care of it. It has 166,000 miles on it. The timing belt and water pump were done recently and the brakes and tires are new. The dealer just replaced the left front wheel bearing and drive shaft because of a bearing noise which did get better. My problem is that there is still a noise. It is not a tire, I am quite sure. It sounds like a bearing noise and is most prevelant at 60mph. When you go faster it goes away. It almost sounds like it is coming from the center of the car. I don't think it is a wheel bearing as I jacked the car at all four corners and tugged and pulled and turned all four wheels and there is no bad bearing feel.........can anyone point me in any direction. I have been turning wrenches all of my life so I am pretty good with stuff. Just new with this and not sure where to begin.
Thanx!:)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Chopprs: the "starting post for newbies" thread isn't really the right place for your problem. Maybe post in TDI 101 or in one of the A4 TDI forums, again describing what was done, who worked on it, and what you think might be the problem. Also include what kind of transmission, etc.

vitosays

Veteran Member
TDI
02' Jetta TDI
This is a dumb question... What model engine would I have in my car? It's the 90 hp 2002 Jetta TDI. Is that the PD Engine or ALH? I'm looking to do either the racepipe or egr delete

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
vitosays said:
This is a dumb question... What model engine would I have in my car? It's the 90 hp 2002 Jetta TDI. Is that the PD Engine or ALH? I'm looking to do either the racepipe or egr delete
You have an ALH engine with the VE (not PD) fuel injection system.

rseymour

TDI
98 jetta
Help!

I am not really sure how all this works, so if I mess up, please let me know.

I own a 98 tdi, and was just told the motor is shot. The timing belt was off by two notches and caused the engine to eventually fail. (no compression) The mechanic said it's not worth fixing...but the rest of the car is descent. Not sure if I should pursue fixing this one or just give it up. It has 270,000 miles on it. I am afraid if I put the money into the motor, the rest of the car is tired and it will just keep nickle and diming me....any feedback would be nice. thanks

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
rseymour said:
I am not really sure how all this works, so if I mess up, please let me know.

I own a 98 tdi, and was just told the motor is shot. The timing belt was off by two notches and caused the engine to eventually fail. (no compression) The mechanic said it's not worth fixing...but the rest of the car is descent. Not sure if I should pursue fixing this one or just give it up. It has 270,000 miles on it. I am afraid if I put the money into the motor, the rest of the car is tired and it will just keep nickle and diming me....any feedback would be nice. thanks
Figure on the parts and labor costing you about $2000 or a little more. That's for a quality rebuilt head, a timing belt kit, and labor. It's possible that there is lower-end damage, but usually timing belt failures only damage the valves, cam, lifters, etc.

There are several TDI pros in Michigan, so you have no reason to let anyone without TDI experience use your Jetta for practice. Contact the closest guru and arrange to have your car towed to him.

tim the toolman

TDI
2000 JETTA TD1
heated seat control switch redhot

Had car cleaned today and suddenly the heated driver seat starts working ( hadnt worked for 6 plus months) but the control switch on the dash is too hot to touch - removed fuse for heated seats but switch did not seem to cool down so unhooked battery - would like to take out switch and unplug - need to know how to pop the switch out or do i need to take apart dash help?? 2000 jetta tdi manual

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tim the toolman said:
Had car cleaned today and suddenly the heated driver seat starts working ( hadnt worked for 6 plus months) but the control switch on the dash is too hot to touch - removed fuse for heated seats but switch did not seem to cool down so unhooked battery - would like to take out switch and unplug - need to know how to pop the switch out or do i need to take apart dash help?? 2000 jetta tdi manual
There should be a wire under the seat that you can disconnect.

tim the toolman

TDI
2000 JETTA TD1
TornadoRed said:
There should be a wire under the seat that you can disconnect.
Thanks - i was able to pop the switch out of the dash using a putty knife - got really hot as it had smoked a bit and the plastic was melted as well - - i disconnected the switch and will replace - I am assuming it is the switch that malfunctioned - the gut that cleaned the car must have got some cleaners in the switch ?? Tim

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
drfuelinstein said:
Oxytane works, More throttle in the bottle
Oxytane added to the banned topic list.

Idiot spammer has been banned.

:rolleyes:

shewolf

TDI
2004 Golf
turning my Golf into a Wolf...

I'm new to this forum; I own a black 2004 Golf TDI. I've named her the Wolf, and I'm wanting to replace the "G" (from the Golf lettering on the back of the car) with the same size (or slightly larger) Volkswagen logo (the V/W combined, which will make it say Wolf). Any thoughts on where I can find a logo that size/shape, and thoughts on how to go about removing the "G" and affixing the "W"?

Thanks!

nso1

TDI
2001 Jetta
Power Window switch.

How do I remove the driver's power window arm rest on my 2001 VW Jetta TDI?
Thanks
NSO1

Last edited:

Cutter

TDI
2006 VW Jetta
I love this site and my 06 Jetta TDI. We run B-100 when the weather allows and B-20 in the winter. Keep up the fantastic work! By the way, a pint of ATF in the fuel tank every fill up really helps keep the injectors clean as well as helps lubricate the engine, that is if you don't run bio-diesel.

elaugh

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
TDI Mechanic?

Hi, I'm the original owner of my 2001 GOLF TDI- 140,000 miles. Now that my ex is out of the picture I'm in need of a good TDI mechanic that is not affiliated with the dealership in Sarasota County. I have used Horst European motors to change my timing belt and have not had problems, just expensive. Does anyone know if he is the best in the area or are there others that specifically work on TDI's that won't gouge my pocket?
:eek: Thanks