2013 SportWagen difficult starting?

lilreddagain

TDI
2013 SportWagen Turbo diesel
Hello there, new to the site and a complete virgin VW owner. Picked up a sweet little red 2013 sportwagen turbo diesel and I am experiencing a start up issue.

Car will have a labored/slow crank two or three times and peter out as if battery is dying. Ill wait a few seconds, try again, and it may not fire again. Sometimes taking 2 or 3 cycles to finally get it to fire up. First inclination would be bad battery or starter relay but I admit I am woefully ignorant of diesel vehicles which is sort of why I wanted to get into this car, to challenge myself a little bit. I just hope I didnt get in over my head buying this car as is. I really like it and besides the starting issue I feel like it was a good buy, i just need to figure this little goblin out. Checking the battery voltage a little later today...

Not throwing a check engine light but the display does say to "service now"

First click of the key in the ignition (before starting) does display a engine light AND battery light. What do you guys think? Can I go to like Oreilys and have them check for codes even if the engine light isnt on? Please advise, thanks in advance!

lilreddagain

TDI
Sorry yes 42k miles and filled up with good fresh diesel. My pos voltmeter says battery is only about 11 volts, I'm taking it up to the parts store to look at the battery a little more closely. Oil level and color looks good but I've yet to check coolant. Still learning my way around the car as I just acquired it late this past friday.

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
If the battery hasn't been replaced in the life of the car, it is a likely suspect. Also, if the fuel filter hasn't been replaced in the last 24 months, it might be clogged (fingers crossed no metal flakes in it). Clogging on a new tank of bad fuel is not uncommon. Also, in a humid climate, water build-up in the tank can happen if the tank isn't kept full. I don't know if there is a water drain off your fuel filter - if yes, drain a bit and see if fuel or water comes out.

I assume you've taken off the battery clamps and cleaned the posts and clamps. The grounds should also be cleaned occasionally. One under the airbox, major one under the battery. Many then treat with Deoxit to keep the corrosion at bay.

If you have VCDS - a very useful diagnostic tool for VWs - it gives a scan of pretty well all information in the car, and I've found it well worth the price many times. http://www.ross-tech.com/ sells them. You can clear codes, and it can point you to things that don't trigger (or have not built up to the point of triggering) a Check Engine Light.

I'd be surprised if it was the starter - not usually a problem at that age.

lilreddagain

TDI
Ok update, car wouldn't start this morning but did well with a jump start and got me to the parts store. Alternator tested good, but the (undated) battery had a bad cell. I got a nice new gel cell battery and now it fires right up. Gonna do my damnedest to get the shady little car lot to front the bill but I'm not holding my breath. So we're good for now, until next time...